2 Man Project -need A Boast Please.

Zerone

Still Fresh
Hello.

Me and my friend are very interested in devoleping a game for the GP2x.

We are yet to recieve our GP2x's, but will very soon. We both have an understanding about programming, and while our knowledge may be a bit basic but were prepaired to take this project to the limit.

(We are both 17 not kids)

We just want to have some source code of a basic game, really nothing special. Some code which you could call univerisal, as it has so little detail if you know what I mean. Its so we can basically, handle the code, get it running, play about with the code. From there we can learn more and more.

We feel that the design of a game is the most important part. Not just what fancy things you can make a square do. We have already started our Plan, which involes a over-all end idea, What type of game we wish to make first. We also learn C++ together, and have Idea's on a much more relistic games we can create like, moving a block. So we then can progress to a fether level.

If you unable to provide us with anything code. A website or .txt on starting to devolope games for the GP2x will be greatful.

Thanks for you time.

-Zerone

Thank you Alex.

We appriate the help!

I just saw something about Edge Game engine... and then I saw the price.

humm, I guess you guys just use the Official SDK.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm totally at a loss on this one. I've done some BASIC and C++ in the past. I understand that most people use SDL when making games for the GP2x, but from what I've read, it's just an "abstraction layer" and has no rendering capabilities of its own. OpenGL or DirectX, whether running in software mode or hardware-accelerated, do the actual rendering.

Now, as I understand, there's only been a decent port of OpenGL for the GP2x very recently. What were people using before then? I'm the "second man", and am trying to probe for possibilities. I know that at my current level of experience I'd need to use a fairly high-level API (something along the lines of Irrlicht). G3D sounds good, but I don't know which renderer I could use with it. Can someone please help me out?

SDL does screen handling, sprite blitting, the works. Take a look at that program I linked you in the previous post, it shows a bit of everything that SDL can do.

SDL is a great library, and with the latest hardware accelerated builds it offers more than enough speed for small to medium sized games :)

- Alex

The PC versions are optimized for DirectX and OpenGL. The GP2X version handles this stuff itself and uses the hardware blitter/scaler for speed.

Baiame, is the other guy in my project. We feel that GP2x will be just too darn hard to make anything we feel worth making for with our amount of skill.

We have desided to not work on the GP2x for game devolpement and overall purchasement of the product. I know you might seem that we were just some people who got excitied one night, but, I'm just telling you with repect for your help. And that we have moved onto designing and building games for the PC.

Sorry to be sluts (coming and going).

-zerone

Back