Gigas Project Discussion

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
well, since not much is happening today, I decided to re-read the story for the proposed Team made game
well, I decided that to get things done, we need to start, and to start, we need to talk
well, everybody who is in, re-read the story then give your 2 cents
right now, I am getting the feeling of a darker world, proboly raining, right?
well, the town in the begining of the story, should we have it partially destroyed?
or should it be a full fledge army base?
also, what color do we want to be " good guys " and " bad guys " ??
or, do we want our hero's unit to be an elite squad ( think of the new movie King Arthur , he was Rome's elite unit , sort of ) so that they are differant than that of normal followers of the religion?
or, one universal color with differant types of armor?
also, should the elites be a few people, or an entire batalion?
We could get a more personal feeling with lesser, but have mass casualties with many

also, do we want him to be captured, or just turn sides after an intense battle?

~Octavious

Edit
well, we will have normal soliders be blue for now...
Ive got the normal solider put into a charset, looking for our " heroes " now
AND, what the hell will we name this game?

Edit
I just finished a preliminary tile-set for the town, based off my stopped FF9x32 and Inferno project's tilesets that I found laying around
I am going to play around with the new engine ( lots of things have changed since I last used it v6 ) and learn some things
Just slapped in a new set of rechargeables and have another et on the charger, so im set

I totally agree with the whole darker world thing. That's the image I got when I read it.

The town is probably best if it doesn't seem to be made for military use, that it's just a peaceful little village in the middle of nowhere that's just unfortanate enough to be stuck in the middle of conflict.

There needs to be a balance of both few and many. If you have many, but focus on the lives and personalities of just a few, who's fate we are also shown, you get both the idea of epic mass casualties, and the small personal feeling that's beneficial in this sort of anti-war beginning. To put it in stalin's terms, you could have both the tragedy and the statistic.

What we have of the storyline is great; seems very much like a cross between one of the final fantasies, and Monsterous Regiment (a book by Terry Pratchett). The only problem the story has at the moment is that it seems to be just the beginning. Before we can work out the whole thing, we need a beginning, a middle and an end. We seem to have a very detailed beginning, and a synopsis of the middle, but the end is clearly not there.

Having not used gigas myself, i don't know to what extent text can be used. Anyone like to fill me in? Only i dont want to go writing epic dialogue between characters that simply can't be used because of gigas' limitations.

well, I am pretty sure there can be fully scripted cutscenes , I am playing around with cutscenes, dialog, and some other things now
however, I can tell you what we dont have
*anything that makes noise
*inventory
*we can make things appear like we pick them up, but it dosnt go to any inventory
*cant get anything equiped
some other things

just play around with the engine for a bit, see for your self

~Octavious

read through the story now and i think the first town would be a small village or something, with not much science or machines, with tents which were assembled by the army to rest.

After the hero was captuered, sort of steam machine medieval setting would be fitting it hink ( in the story it says "the heretics are far more advanced" or so - im not quite sure if he means science, though), for example some sort of train sytem an maybe even steam robots..sorry if thats too much sci-fi :D

mhh? nothing said bout good or bad town in the story afaik....the first town is in the land of religious people, but there are heretics, too. if i got it right, the bad people are the umm...(argh...dont know proper english word) leaders....
the town of the heretics should be beautiful, showing the science and economic difference between the two populations.....
so i think simple medieval setting for teh first town, with ...argh...again dont know proper word...people who plant things in the earth, grow them, and get them from the fields...."bauern" in german...nevertheless, their houses would be fitting. and tents, as i said.
and for the heretics' city, maybe a bit like the last FF games (with flying ships, light, or even steam power)

but i think neither of them is dark...
if i understood the story right, the world is like our world, just the religion is different, and the specific scenario is like the crusades of christian religion......mhhh..so maybe for the first city europe style, and for the second arabic/oriental style...or if we dont want it to be that close to reality, the other way round

I just figured dark because of the sun god being driven away
well, Im not sure bout steam machines, but ill look into it
and I was just thinking, log cabins for the " bauern " ( the word you were looking for is farmer ) and then nice neat structures for the bad guys, like plaster walls and wooden tiled roof(s) (<- dont know what plural of roof is ) Ill check around some

~Octavious

Splinter posted on Dec 31 2004 at 07:41 PM said:
Well it could be dark or normal, we can just change the story :D
Also, anyone wanting to carry it on or should we do that togethor?

maps support custom tilesets, so you could make two tilesets - one for normal, one for dark - maybe have it start off normal, then later change to dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea how many characters you can fit into a dialogue box?

And we should continue writing this together.First (or rather last, as you should always write the start and end of a story first then work towards the middle), We need an epic finale, anyone got any ideas for that (Other than the 'pope' being dead)?

Oh, and I keep getting ideas for a subplot involving the main character's wife and children, unless we need our character to be much younger than that. I just think it would be heart-wrenchingly painful to have the second to last boss (bosses are possible, right? Just a matter of scripting a sequence of movements and attacks... oh, and spriting them of course) as the hero's son, wishing to dake revenge for his father's defection, and the fact that his mother was tortured to death when the inquisition (religious nutjob torturers for the state) came looking for him (which of course, he blames on his father).

Of course, if nobody likes it, we can scrap it, but it makes for a lot more story. If the fact that it makes the hero too old bothers you, it could easily be his brother, but i personally prefer the father having to kill the son...

the good/bad switching thing sounds nice...so maybe at the start we have two portals, one will be for good the other for bad.....and then we'd need many many hotspots to change every single tile ^^ or maybe pirotic can add a function to hotspots like tileset switching or so, so we can do one good and one bad, with equivalent parts having the same numbers...would be much easier :)

and thanks for farmer octavious.....i feel soooo stupid :D

oh and i like the family plot with the son as a boss...and for the final...how about the hero discovers a shrine where the sun god was banned to and frees the god, and the god saves the world or so?

happy new year btw

FF7 style- I say.
A generally dark world, falling apart and with the most unlikely heros (eg. A "vampire", Flower girl, mercenary and a half wit ninja).
Not to copy the story just that particular essence.
The idea to choose a different path would be cool, like at the start of the game, choose to be good or bad (I think that's what you mean, right?)

Edit: Maybe a Question (philisophical(sp?)) to decide your path in the game. Like Resident Evil 1 on GC.

Is there room for one more...If I have another sleepless night tonight I'll write out some random ideas.

like in the first GBA zelda game you mean? nice idea...
would be a lot of work, though...unless there is a function like i said..

btw who of the people who signed up for the project DID get my email? i want to know if the email addys are up to date and if i sent it reight

got it
well, I understand dialog, now I am messing around with cutscenes
If anyone could find the info that says how to make a map on mappy, that would be cool

~Octavious

I don't really like the light-world, dark-world concept, because i don't think it could be made to fit in with the storyline, and it would be A LOT too much work for very little gain.

And yeah, I definately got the email.

good you got it....i know goity didnt get it for some reason, and the people with missing emails didnt get it for sure ;)

i agree with markusdragon, the light/dark thing is not what we should go for....but two different settings for heretics and religious guys would be ok, what do you think?

First GBA Zelda game, there's only one isn't there?
Minish Cap where you shrank and grew again, awesome game I found it addictive.

What about an alternative dimensions story line (Great City of Gold in one, City of Poop in the other) or time line, you could throw in some paradox's to confuse the gamer and they would always come back to finish the game and figure out what the hell is going on.

mhhhhhhhh...i just realized it would be good to develope the story somewhere not in the forum, so not everyone can read it...otherwise it wouldnt be fun to play for them, would it??

Back