275 Mhz Gp2x's At Gbax

vampire8bit

Craig's now selling two versions 275Mhz as well as 240Mhz. The 275Mhz costs slightly more.

Are the 275Mhz one's just the normal CPU's overclocked to this speed or do they have more beefier CPU starting at this speed? If it's the latter does this mean they can be overclocked to over 300Mhz? :)

Mark 3?

This sounds very exciting. I'd like to know more technical information. If these are new ME chipsets, I'd be very excited.

If these are just Craig letting you pay a little more to ensure your gp2x can clock to $275 then its not that interesting really.

Sounds like the same as they did with the GP32 -- they're still Mk2s but tested to confirm they reach at least 275mhz overclocked.

The "240mhz" ones will be units that don't reach 275mhz (but may reach 266), or just haven't been tested yet.

He used to sell GP32's on the basis of a guaranteed and tested performance speed. It looks like he is doing this again.

Given that most games are/will needing lower overclocking, it may be that the lower clockspeed, for the price difference, might be better.

I think it a bit rich putting the price up from £129 to £139 for the 275Mhz version (£124 for the 240Mhz one). Looks like profiteering to me. Who needs the "screen protector" anyway - it is not the screen protector, it is the thin and flimsy cover for the LCD screen (which you don't use) - it isn't the tough external one. £124/£134 would be acceptable, £124/£139 is a bit steep.

AFAIK with the gp32s the faster ones had a voltage mod to ensure they reached the speed stated, whereas this sounds like they are testing each one and if it doesn't reach 175mhz they're throwing it in the other pile... i.e. no chance of getting a 175mhz if you don't pay the extra

It's an open market place. If someone wants to pay 15 pound for peace of mind, then good for them

What happens to the GP2Xs that 'fail' the 275Mhz test? Do they go into the standard Value Pack 'pile', thus lowering the odds of getting a higher speed GP2X for the normal price?

Customer A orders one for £139. GP2Xs are tested, and non-275Mhz+ ones are 'rejected'.
Customer B orders one for the normal price, and gets one of these slower models. Whereas before he would have had a chance of getting a faster CPU.

My question would be: what emulators/homebrew require the increase in speed (if any)

suspicious 275mhz thingy,

are these new units that don't go over 240mhz?
or ir it simply standard ones who get an added price just because they reach 275mhz? in that case i find it quite hmmmmm how to say ....

a thief ?!

He's just selling units tested to run at that speed. He was going to sell them at 280 Mhz then changed his mind to 275. I hope he really burns these units the hell in before he sells them because it's highly doubtful they're fully reliable at that speed. Mine runs at 305-320 MHz but if you push it hard enough you can still make it crash. That ARM920T is still a 200 MHz-rated part at the end of the day and no voltage mod has been performed to change its tolerance for higher clockrates.

As for performance gains, MD emulation is not quite full speed until ~230 MHz in most games with DrMDx, GPFCE needs 210-215 MHz for a full 60 FPS on most games and >240 MHz on a minority of games. NeoGeo emulation is kind of sketchy below 250 Mhz unless you turn off sound or put it on the lower-quality setting (11025hz) or play with the 68k/z80 clockrates (turn them way down). Last I saw MAME is pretty slow without a good overclock in a lot of games. SNES emulation, an overclock above 250 Mhz is almost essential for good performance in a lot of the more intense titles. Lynx emulation with Handy needs a pretty big overclock too but that's just because it's a quick dirty port with no ASM CPU Core (same for GPFCE.) GB, SMS/GG, PCE, and most old 16k computer emulators will run about the same with no overclocking, or UNDERclocked, as they will overclocked.

From what I've seen the newer the GP2X the shittier the overclocking performance has been. Maybe MagicEyes isn't turning out as good MP2520Fs as they used to, but it seemed like everyone was getting 266 MHz+ and a LOT of them >280 MHz back before the MK2 was around. Now I hear a lot of people say they can't even get to 240 MHz with stability. That sucks pretty hard to now have to PAY for that assurance.

ste_167 posted on Oct 9 2006 at 03:56 AM said:
Customer A orders one for £139. GP2Xs are tested, and non-275Mhz+ ones are 'rejected'.
Customer B orders one for the normal price, and gets one of these slower models. Whereas before he would have had a chance of getting a faster CPU.
It does come across as very unfair to the guy who doesn't pay EXTRA for what used to be had FOR FREE. I prefer it be a grab-bag because that's what it IS. It should just be a mystery what you're going to get. GBAX tests every unit anyway, or so Craig claims, so asking extra money for this 'service' makes it look like the machines are somehow upgraded when they're not.

Last edited by a moderator:
instead of putting the price up for the overclocked ones he should have kept them at the same price and dropped the price slighly one the ones that dont overclock that high.

ste_167 posted on Oct 9 2006 at 07:56 PM said:
It's an open market place. If someone wants to pay 15 pound for peace of mind, then good for them

What happens to the GP2Xs that 'fail' the 275Mhz test? Do they go into the standard Value Pack 'pile', thus lowering the odds of getting a higher speed GP2X for the normal price?

or....

That depends if Customer B goes to Store A. ;)

icurafu posted on Oct 9 2006 at 12:41 PM said:
or....

Well UK customers certainly can't go to Store EvilDragon, as gbax is the supplier for the UK.

ste_167 posted on Oct 9 2006 at 11:46 AM said:
icurafu posted on Oct 9 2006 at 12:41 PM said:
or....

Well UK customers certainly can't go to Store EvilDragon, as gbax is the supplier for the UK.

But they surely can buy thier GP2Xs from www.play-asia.com for instance. Lower price, chance to get a faster unit.

Ed has been offering 280mhz units for a while, he does not sell to the UK and people kept requesting them, so we are offering them.

They are tested for a LONG time at 275mhz with MAME.

It seems certain batches actually contain the 266 guarenteed chips (must be when ME don't have any lower ones available) we are just locating these boxes (40 in a box) and using them.

Also we are working on a voltage mod... more info on that soon.

Another thing to note is that these 275mhz versions will only be available when we have time to test them as is the same situation with Ed, if we are too busy you won't be able to order them for a while, although we will try to stockplie them for christmas.

-Craig

Back