2nd Batch

mickb22

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I am not sure I will be able to get a pandora on the first 3000 made, so does anyone have any information on the 2nd batch?

We don't know much, but rest assured, there will be a second batch, otherwise the project would be a complete commercial failure for the team, as the first batch is mainly to make up the expenses.

PoisonedV said:
We don't know much, but rest assured, there will be a second batch, otherwise the project would be a complete commercial failure for the team, as the first batch is mainly to make up the expenses.
If they're so certain of a second batch, why not simply make the first batch larger? Are they committed to a run of exactly 3000?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex777 said:
PoisonedV said:
If they're so certain of a second batch, why not simply make the first batch larger? Are they committed to a run of exactly 3000?

better safe than sorry, besides a larger batch would put them even further in the hole

It's an issue of risk for them. They decided some time ago that they would do a run of 3000, and I guess their current business plan revolves around that figure. It probably wouldn't be wise to stray from the plan at this stage.

Let's see: 3000 units multiplied by $330 USD per unit = $990,000. So, it cost nearly a million USD to bring the first 3000 to market?

vaustein said:
Let's see: 3000 units multiplied by $330 USD per unit = $990,000. So, it cost nearly a million USD to bring the first 3000 to market?
330$ is the retail price, not what each unit costs to produce. While I have no idea whatsoever what the profit margin is on Pandora (or even if there is any), I am pretty sure that the cost to manufacture is significantly lower than the 330$ price tag.

jellmoo said:
vaustein said:
330$ is the retail price, not what each unit costs to produce. While I have no idea whatsoever what the profit margin is on Pandora (or even if there is any), I am pretty sure that the cost to manufacture is significantly lower than the 330$ price tag.

I believe it was said that the First Batch basically covers the cost of production and R&D. So basically they get back to square one with the first batch. If all goes well, batch 2 and on will render real profit, etc.

vaustein said:
research, licensing, work, production, parts, support, legal...
really, its not that much if you compare it to how much large companies spend on new handhelds

So if the first batch gets them to square one, their going to me making profit as soon as they hit 3001?
That's some pretty awesome profit margins if you ask me, someone who has absolutely no experience in such things.

I believe it was said somewhere that they would still be in the red after the first 3000 are sold (which isn't unreasonable if you remember that they don't net nearly a million dollars from the 3000 that are sold due to production costs and other hurdles/costs they had before pre-orders go up). So, no, they won't start making profits once the 3001st is sold.

I just hope the guys are getting PROFIT for the stuff in the Pandora, must be spendy .__.

craigix did mention that he would break-even if he sells all 3000 (but that was a while ago). So the second batch would not be produced until there is 100% certainty that the first batch would be sold.

After that, ofcourse another loan has to be created, using the sales data. So if it sells out after a week of pre-order like some people think, there won't be a long wait for the 2nd batch to be manufactored.

EDIT: Oh, Jerry said this already.

With the second batch, they will more easily be able to get a loan because of the success of the first batch. I hope they profit off of this so they can make more handhelds.

Username said:
With the second batch, they will more easily be able to get a loan because of the success of the first batch. I hope they profit off of this so they can make more handhelds.
I'm sure they won't be required to pay the loan back from the first batch immediately after they've been sol. Much more likely the capital will be reinvested in subsequent batches, with small amount of the loan being paid of with each batch produced.

jellmoo said:
330$ is the retail price
Not sure you can call it a "retail" price, as it will not be selling in an actual store.

On the first 3000 note,Theres a bit of hype here and there, and quite a few registered forum members to eat up that figure. I suspect the device, if garnered proper internet attention will sell out rather quickly and as such a second (larger?) batch would be on its way.

AireTamStorm said:
jellmoo said:
330$ is the retail price
Not sure you can call it a "retail" price, as it will not be selling in an actual store.

you do nou even the gp2x was sold at some store's like microcenter
hou nous if pandora will be sold at them

I also think I remember one of the dev team saying that the price can only be that low because they had to make a commitment for more than 3000 units...

Back