2xzdoom Wad Selection

Have you tried putting a timidity.cfg in the zdoom dir and adding a dir statement in it?

Yes, I have tried this but does not work.
You can modify the script however suits your purpose, though, by simply editing the Zdoom file.

I tinkered with the Zdoom file by trying different scripts after the -stdlog switch under 'Run the parms' section as trial and error:

-timidity mnt/sd/Applications/timidity
-timidity 'mnt/sd/Applications/timidity'
-timidity /mnt/sd/Applications/timidity
-timidity '/mnt/sd/Applications/timidity'

To no avail.... :(

I did put the timidity to the root of my SD card to make sure that the sound worked and success it did. But I just want to have it located within the Applications folder as it keeps the file/folder structure to a minimum on my SD card.

Any suggestions? :unsure:

Pre-post note:

I typed this post when this topic spanned up to post #37. Forgot to submit and left the house for two days. Submitting now.
Post #37:
frefol said:
I have the full version of Strife and the files I have are strife1.wad and voices.wad. The shareware copy I have has a strife0.wad and is missing the voices.wad file
Original post:

Me too, I have a full version with strife1.wad and voice.wad (without the s though).

bman said:
The prboom wiki has this link for the timidity package.

Yeah I know, I already have timidity running from another folder for music in PrBoom. In the Zdoom readme it sais how to specify another path, I believe it was with -timidity path/to/timidity.

However, I have no sound at all. Timidity, afaik, is only for music.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Redsandro & Tag5 You know there is a 2xZdoom thread designed for answering these types of problems. Since i actually check there regularly, I may be able to help you (or make another bug fix).

I tinkered with the Zdoom file by trying different scripts after the -stdlog switch under 'Run the parms' section as trial and error:
Is your problem specific to this selector script? Have you tried running 2xZdoom from a seperate script with your parameters? I've tested the -timidity param and it seemed to work for me....

However, I have no sound at all. Timidity, afaik, is only for music.
Currently the Music & Sound systems are intertwined, you cannot have one without the other. My sound mixer is not like other GP2X ports, it doesn't use SDL_Mixer, instead it directly hits libTimidity.

Adventus said:
Currently the Music & Sound systems are intertwined, you cannot have one without the other.
Ok that makes sense. I guess there's something with the way I entered the path to timidity that Zdoom doesn't like, or it doesn't like the Timidity I'm using. I have the 1,4 MB version that came with TTD installed (works with PrBoom) because I thought the 17 MB version from the archive was too big.

@Tag5
I run Zdoom from mnt/sd/game/Zdoom/ (no audio) just fine, so I think you can use the name you like and it not-working would be caused by something else.

Adventus said:
You know there is a 2xZdoom thread designed for answering these types of problems.
Whoops you're right. I will try some variations later and direct problems or solutions to that thread instead.

Adventus said:
Is your problem specific to this selector script? Have you tried running 2xZdoom from a seperate script with your parameters? I've tested the -timidity param and it seemed to work for me....The problem I have is with the selector scripts. The 2xZdoom individual game scripts (Loading different WAD's) for timidity works fine, but I just love using the menu selector in which bman had made as it reduces the amount of scripts/links to have on my GP2X menu for each individual game.

Tag5 said:
I bolded what I think is the correct answer. Adventus had a point about trying a separate script that creates a working syntax for what you need. Then take that syntax and put it in to the Zdoom script. There are not many options for selector that can do what you are interested in.

bman said:
Tag5 said:

I bolded what I think is the correct answer. Adventus had a point about trying a separate script that creates a working syntax for what you need. Then take that syntax and put it in to the Zdoom script. There are not many options for selector that can do what you are interested in.
Ah ok, many thanks for the help. I'll give it a go. :D

If push comes to shove, I'll back down and relocate the timidity folder to the root of the SD card.

I am using the bman selector thing and am getting confused.

If I run Heretic using the only Heretic option I just get a black screen. If I run as an IWAD it works. Same with a few other wads.

It doesn't work how you think many times, or how it is labeled in the selector. You just have to guess and use trial and error which gets old considering the long load times of both the GP2X boot and the WAD. There must be an easier way.

Strife doesn't work when I run it at all, I just get a black screen.

What is the trick here?

DaveC said:
I am using the bman selector thing and am getting confused.

If I run Heretic using the only Heretic option I just get a black screen. If I run as an IWAD it works. Same with a few other wads.

It doesn't work how you think many times, or how it is labeled in the selector. You just have to guess and use trial and error which gets old considering the long load times of both the GP2X boot and the WAD. There must be an easier way.

Strife doesn't work when I run it at all, I just get a black screen.

What is the trick here?
I have it set up to run all commercial games, so if you have heretic1.wad, which is shareware, you will have to run it as an IWAD. If you look to the right of the selector you will see "only XXXXX", that's the keyword I send to the script for the iwad to run. It only supports DOOM,DOOM2,PLUTONIA,TNT,HERETIC,HEXEN,and STRIFE1. Those are the full version names of the IWADS.

What is the trick to get strife to work? I have had no luck. Maybe I just have a dodgy WAD?

Back