3d Graphics Demo

LOL.. forgot about that... pretty much everybody has to make thier own sidewalk so it gets pretty hodgepodge and interesting :) one will be just concrete and the next colorful tile or even granite etc...

I was in a small city (~110k people) in MG

Downsider002 - The level is designed to be navigated in a semi-free roaming, first person style. There is no real end point. You can rest at ease knowing all the sights can be had in a single load! However it will be up those who use these assets to provide the method of interaction that they see fit. I'll be creating an interactive version using Blender's game engine (non-Pandora compatible).

cb88 and Yamara - Well, Brazil certainly is an interesting location. I can imagine the possibility of using it as inspiration for a later project. However, there are a couple problems preventing me from switching the location now, most importantly is that I have no experience with Brazil. I have been to Japan twice and am leaving in a couple hours to go back again for a few weeks. This trip will also give me a great opportunity to do some actual photographic research, so I think I will be sticking with the current plan. However, thanks for the interest!

With regards to sound, that will be out of my department. Once a visual demo is working, I am sure somebody will be interested in creating something. It would be my preference to stick with ambient, environmental sounds.

Last note: During the next three weeks, this project will see very little progress. As stated, I'll be in Japan during this time. I'll probably be able to post and answer some questions, but I won't continue working until after I arrive home.

Creature XL said:
Looks like Irrlicht cannot be used. It has no ARM support neither has it OPEN GL ES support.

However, it seems lik ewe will get some 3d-engines, as mentioned above :)

I did already post in another thread in this forum, that I have the cross-compilation done, and both an initial ogl-es 1.x driver as well as the foundations for the ogl-es 2.x driver are done. We're currently completing the ogl-es 1.x driver in order to merge back all the iPhone developments made with Irrlicht. When that's done we'll wrap up the 2.x driver, based on the progess we made with Irrlicht and the 1.x driver at that time.
I still hope to have something working before I get my Pandora, though I wouldn't have a problem with getting the Pandora as early as possible ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
traylorpark said:
I'll be more than happy to start this ball rolling. But before I jump into this, I would like some thoughts from engine developers: If I/we create assets and a scene and provide them as tools for anybody to use (and provide support for said assets should things need changing) will your goals benefit? If you answer yes, then what would you like the environment to focus on or accomplish (indoor, outdoor, mix, etc). If you answer hell yes, let us go out and get a beer to celebrate our unbridled enthusiasm!
what do you mean by 'provide assets as tools'? if you mean in their original modeller format - it may or may not be a problem, depending on the format. generally, aim for portability - collada is a primary candidate there, followed by well-documented/supported formats like .obj, .3ds, etc.

darkblu said:
what do you mean by 'provide assets as tools'? if you mean in their original modeller format - it may or may not be a problem, depending on the format. generally, aim for portability - collada is a primary candidate there, followed by well-documented/supported formats like .obj, .3ds, etc.
'Provide assets as tools' was my clumsy way of describing my ambitions to the Pandora dev community. I am doing my modeling in Blender, and if someone would like the assets to be delivered in a specific format I'd be happy to do that conversion for them. I'll post the .blend files as well, so anybody can convert them to any file format they like.

I'm also happy to work with developers and tweak the assets to fit their particular needs.

I admit that it feels kind of silly to continue talking of assets when I haven't shown anything, but that will change in a few days. :rolleyes:

Well, I noticed that this thread has gotten over 3000 views... I guess its time to show some work.

2-apartment_inprog4.png

This is the apartment interior. The shading is done using Blender's ambient occlusion (which bakes wonderfullly). I hope to bake the lights using the upcoming Lightcuts implementaion.

Poly count wise, the entire apartment so far is comprised of approximately 8000 triangles. The meshes themselves are at a midpoint between hi-poly and being optimized for low-poly. Once we understand what the hardware will be able to handle, I will be able to scale in either direction quite easily.

In terms of actual 3D engines, I am working with a person who is developing one right now. However I will leave it to him to discuss the details of his engine.

Hi Traylorpark, I would like to collaborate in this demo. I have experience in blender scripting, modelling, rigging, animating and I'm trying to use Horde3D with blender and port it to the pandora (while I learn GLSL and OpenGL ES 2.0 on the way). I'm best at doing the technically difficult work (rigging, skinning, scripting) as well as realistic modelling, but I'm not so good at artistic/creative affairs.

I think this demo would be great both for showing Pandora strengths and for porting game engines to it. Please PM me.

traylorpark said:
This is the apartment interior. The shading is done using Blender's ambient occlusion (which bakes wonderfullly).
It seems you used the fast, fake AO, which is great for animations, but I think full AO is better for baking.

DiThi said:
It seems you used the fast, fake AO, which is great for animations, but I think full AO is better for baking.
Totally agree on that part. Aproximate AO is good for quick renders (such as this) however Raytraced AO will definitely be used for the final bake.

cb88 said:
is that a teapot!?
Yep, that's a tea pot.

Wow, nice room. What did you have used for a light setup to get such smooth and real looking shadows? I always fight with Blender to get a good lightning, maybe I should try the new 2.48 version. I've also played with ambient occlusion in the past but it is very CPU intense and Rendering onto my 1.1GHz Athlon XP is FAR AWAY from fast. :D And high sample numbers with AO need heavy CPU calculations, low sample numbers result in "noise" etc...

...I really need a new PC :lol:

hybrid_irr said:
I did already post in another thread in this forum, that I have the cross-compilation done, and both an initial ogl-es 1.x driver as well as the foundations for the ogl-es 2.x driver are done. We're currently completing the ogl-es 1.x driver in order to merge back all the iPhone developments made with Irrlicht. When that's done we'll wrap up the 2.x driver, based on the progess we made with Irrlicht and the 1.x driver at that time.
I still hope to have something working before I get my Pandora, though I wouldn't have a problem with getting the Pandora as early as possible ;)
Hey Niko, it's nice to see you on these forums. I'm a happy user of Irrlicht, and I'd be glad to see it running on Pandora.
Your presence here makes me feel optimistic about this.
Reading your blog, I see that you have to face number of people that complain a lot, so you may appreciate some simple congratulations
for your great engine which is so simple to understand, to use and to compile. Its architecture is one of the best application of the KISS rule I know.
As I usually have few time for my personal projects (with Irrlicht) I tend to follow this rule as much as possible.
Looking forward the 1.5 release ^^

Uhm, I'm not Niko, but chances are still really good to see Irrlicht ported ;-) Just to give you an update: Irrlicht 1.5 (to be released next month) will come with joystick support included. And the ogl-es branch has a complete OpenGL-ES 1.1 driver, working with the PowerVR emulators both under Linux and Windows. Setting up Pandora-Device support should be a question of some minutes, taking into account that the sources can be cross-compiled for ARM and we have rather good Linux support.

hybrid_irr said:
Uhm, I'm not Niko, but chances are still really good to see Irrlicht ported ;-) Just to give you an update: Irrlicht 1.5 (to be released next month) will come with joystick support included. And the ogl-es branch has a complete OpenGL-ES 1.1 driver, working with the PowerVR emulators both under Linux and Windows. Setting up Pandora-Device support should be a question of some minutes, taking into account that the sources can be cross-compiled for ARM and we have rather good Linux support.
Oops ! Sorry for the mistake :unsure:
And thanks for all that good news :)

Back