3Do For Wiz, Anyone?

05C4R

Still Fresh
Hi, I'm fairly new in the forums (having acquired my GP2X Wiz last year and toyed a lot with several emulators and engines) but despite my searches, I couldn't find ANYTHING about the possibility of emulating the 3DO in the wiz.

I think it would be nice for running some awesome games like Gex and Johnny Bazookatone (and some terrible ones, like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, haha) and other games that have only been released for this console (or also released in consoles apparently impossible to emulate propely, like the Sega Saturn)

Please avoid answering with a plain "yes" or "no", although I know nothing about coding and stuff I think everyone would still welcome some technical explanation for why it would be impossible (or what it would take to make it possible either)

Thanks for the attention and many thanks to all the devs out there that work so hard to make/port/whatever so many awesome emulators and engines for everyone =)

Lord Scar said:
Hi, I'm fairly new in the forums (having acquired my GP2X Wiz last year and toyed a lot with several emulators and engines) but despite my searches, I couldn't find ANYTHING about the possibility of emulating the 3DO in the wiz.

I think it would be nice for running some awesome games like Gex and Johnny Bazookatone (and some terrible ones, like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, haha) and other games that have only been released for this console (or also released in consoles apparently impossible to emulate propely, like the Sega Saturn)

Please avoid answering with a plain "yes" or "no", although I know nothing about coding and stuff I think everyone would still welcome some technical explanation for why it would be impossible (or what it would take to make it possible either)

Thanks for the attention and many thanks to all the devs out there that work so hard to make/port/whatever so many awesome emulators and engines for everyone =)

I don't know of any good open source emulators, so unless someone starts one from scratch ( which would include reverse engineering the 3do as there aren't any technical docs either ) I very much doubt you'll ever see an emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reesy said:
Lord Scar said:

I don't know of any good open source emulators, so unless someone starts one from scratch ( which would include reverse engineering the 3do as there aren't any technical docs either ) I very much doubt you'll ever see an emulator.
FreeDO, but i don't how good it is.

d4rkm4r3 said:
FreeDO, but i don't how good it is.

FreeDO "admin" claimed he was opening the source but then never did. Same end result as all the other claims he's made.

Reesy said:
Lord Scar said:

So, that's just it? I mean, IF one had an open source emulator to work on (or ends up making one from scratch, whatever) then it WOULD be possible to run 3DO games in the Wiz? I ask this from the point of compatibility of technical specs from both machines (like the N64 discussions that always ends with the fact that the console requires much more of processing and ram than the Wiz can provide or something like that)

Also, could we DON'T start a N64 discussion here? I just mentioned it to give an example ^^"

3DO emulation on Wiz might be feasible, but it'd probably take a recompiler and very efficient 3D renderer.

(in other words, if there were an open source 3DO emulator alone a port probably wouldn't suffice)

Unfortunately the biggest reason emulators are written in the first place are due to person who writes them likes the console or computer. The 3DO all though a very interesting console was a disaster and not many people like it. Now obviously it is possible to write an emulator for it if one exists atm, I'm not saying a port is possible I'm saying there are some documents out there on the 3DO Some Maybe? . But a 3DO emulator would need to be written from scratch and would require reverse engineering, I'm not a programmer but I'm willing to bet it would not be that difficult considering the 3DO is not that complex and does not contain any graphics chip related to 3D (might not be true it has some sort of Math Processor which to me means basic 3D options in game).

Well, this means that maybe (MAYBE) in the future, IF someone opens the code of a good 3DO emulator, it could be made into the Wiz... some day (I hope)

Thanks for all the attention guys, this tread really answered all my questions about that subject, now we just wait and pray for something to come by...

It's sad however that this console is not that popular, I mean of course there were several games that were really bad (most using FMV, and others very bizarre like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties... yikes!) but several good games (my favorites being Gex and Johnny Bazookatone) that were ported to the 3DO were also ported to the Sega Saturn, the PS1 and DOS.

Now I'm not saying that this games may or may not be playable in the PSX or DOSBox already on the Wiz, but since both of them seems to have a lot of bugs and stuff (like games being very sluggish, or don't having any sound, or not being compatible for some reason... etc) then a 3DO emulator MIGHT be an alternative to play some of this games without having to face that much trouble

(And for the Sega Saturn, apparently it's freakshly impossible to emulate in the Wiz for some reason so I'm not even bother asking about ^^")

I'm sure the Pandora can emulate 3DO and Sega Saturn. Someone should start a petition for the authors of both emulators to port it to the Pandora or make it open source. The purpose of emulation is to salvage orphaned game systems. Sad 3DO and Sega Saturn is not available on a handheld.

rsuryase said:
I'm sure the Pandora can emulate 3DO and Sega Saturn. Someone should start a petition for the authors of both emulators to port it to the Pandora or make it open source. The purpose of emulation is to salvage orphaned game systems. Sad 3DO and Sega Saturn is not available on a handheld.

The best Saturn emulators for PC are VERY x86 specific, with x86 targeted dynarecs and lots of SSE optimized x86 ASM. And even then they require PCs much better than Pandora. So I think this is a dead-end.

Nonetheless, AamirM is working on Saturn emulation now and he has a penchant for performance. I've also got him pretty interested in ARM, so it's not impossible that this could go somewhere one day.. just don't raise your expectations too high.

I've lost all hope of FreeDO source ever being released or a port to an embedded platform ever happening. Way too many broken release dates, it's a total joke.

Hey everybody, take a look in what I found: http://fourdo.sourceforge.net/web/images/FourDO%20Home.html

(and for the news page that explains why the project was canceled: http://sourceforge.net/news/?group_id=210531 )

As stated before, in fact the code for the 3DO is what is missing in the entire equation, although I don't understand why it's illegal if the company is already dead, or why any of the few people out there that have this code couldn't simply post it somewhere annonymously and make the entire world happy ever after.

It's not like the people responsible for the FreeDO is making any money out of this, and in fact if their devs are the ONLY ones with a working emulator for this console, it means that they would probably be the only ones still with the code and thus, the ones being illegal (and since they're not in jail or anything yet, I don't think no one is really caring if they are breaking any law or anything like that)

I don't understand why they don't just leak the code somewhere and let people with skill and interest to try coding their own emus, in the end it just would help everyone by fixing bugs and implementing new original ideas in the already existing FreeDO, it's kinda selfish actually but there's nothing to be done so, whatever

Back