3Ds "slide Pad"

I never said that Nintendo wasn't making good games anymore. But they aren't encouraging good games from Third party developers
It's not for Nintendo to encourage good games from third party developers any more than it's Sony's or Microsoft's job. They don't offer a seal of quality to any games. And there are plenty of fantastic original third party games on Wii - Zack & Wiki, Resi 4, Resi Chronicles, Little King's Story, Cooking Mama, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, MonkeyBall, Lost In Blue, MySims etc. etc. etc. So whatever you intended to say, you failed. the problem is that there is an awful lot more fluff than stuff. I presume this is what you actually meant. But this is no more than other systems tbh. However, the fluff does sell (and quite well), so it is appealing to some - just not all.

I'm currently split between buying a Wii or waiting for Kinect... I want Pikmin,
Pikmin 1 and 2 are available on GameCube. You can pick one up for a song nowadays.

I can't wait for Pikmin 3 on Wii (loved the first two - completed both many times) - this was truly one of the previews I was hoping for at this years E3. Sadly it wasn't to be. :(Still we're getting a nice new Zelda game :)

I own an XBox 360 and PS3 as well and have to say that by owning all three systems i get the best of all worlds, however Kinect and Move (well the games) just don't do anything for me at the moment. Give it a year though and things may be very different.

Exciting times ahead, whatever machines and accessories you choose. :)

iprice said:
I'm currently split between buying a Wii or waiting for Kinect... I want Pikmin,
Pikmin 1 and 2 are available on GameCube. You can pick one up for a song nowadays.

I can't wait for Pikmin 3 on Wii (loved the first two - completed both many times) - this was truly one of the previews I was hoping for at this years E3. Sadly it wasn't to be. :(Still we're getting a nice new Zelda game :)

Exciting times ahead, whatever machines and accessories you choose. :)
I know that, but I'm wondering; should I wait for all three to come out with Wii motion control or just wait or just get both, or.. Arr...

Last edited by a moderator:
should I wait for all three to come out with Wii motion control or just wait or just get both, or.. Arr...

Wii Pikmin 3 might be a year or more off (if ever)

Kinect is due this year, but may not be as revolutionary or accurate as it seems (but then it just might be!). The games for Kinect might amount to a pile of crap (or not). And the price point still isn't fixed or the software that'll come with/support it.

There is no definitive answer.

You're going to be waiting no matter what you eventually decide.

atomicthumbs said:
although my Pandora might get jealous of the hardware, it wouldn't get jealous of the software

I haven't seen much in the way of software for the Pandora outside of software designed to run software for other hardware. I dunno if that's anything to be jealous of. The being said, keeping all those emulators in your pocket is cool; I'm just hoping for some cool Pandora Orignals, which will take some time i know, but it seems like most people are happy just with emulators.

iprice said:
I never said that Nintendo wasn't making good games anymore. But they aren't encouraging good games from Third party developers
It's not for Nintendo to encourage good games from third party developers any more than it's Sony's or Microsoft's job. They don't offer a seal of quality to any games.

Official_Nintendo_Seal_of_Quality_O.jpg

iprice said:
And there are plenty of fantastic original third party games on Wii - Zack & Wiki, Resi 4, Resi Chronicles, Little King's Story, Cooking Mama, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, MonkeyBall, Lost In Blue, MySims etc. etc. etc. So whatever you intended to say, you failed. the problem is that there is an awful lot more fluff than stuff. I presume this is what you actually meant. But this is no more than other systems tbh. However, the fluff does sell (and quite well), so it is appealing to some - just not all.

Now take out the ports and you are left with a much smaller number, especially compared to the number of good 3rd party games on the other 2 systems. (And by ports I mean older games being ported to the Wii, like Okami and ResE 4)

-God Ginrai

Has any body looked at it in respect to health and safety issues, it has been reported that 3d TV with glasses has a problem http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/technology/7396960/consumers-warned-of-3d-tv-dangers/ I wonder if the 3Ds is the same

God Ginrai said:
iprice said:
It's not for Nintendo to encourage good games from third party developers any more than it's Sony's or Microsoft's job. They don't offer a seal of quality to any games.

iprice said:
And there are plenty of fantastic original third party games on Wii - Zack & Wiki, Resi 4, Resi Chronicles, Little King's Story, Cooking Mama, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, MonkeyBall, Lost In Blue, MySims etc. etc. etc. So whatever you intended to say, you failed. the problem is that there is an awful lot more fluff than stuff. I presume this is what you actually meant. But this is no more than other systems tbh. However, the fluff does sell (and quite well), so it is appealing to some - just not all.

Now take out the ports and you are left with a much smaller number, especially compared to the number of good 3rd party games on the other 2 systems. (And by ports I mean older games being ported to the Wii, like Okami and ResE 4)

-God Ginrai

Whilst there are indeed lots of ports from older game, I think you'll find that most disc based software for Nintendo Wii is actually new and original (or also a multi-format game). However, most of those original Wii games are also targeted towards the casual market too, but that doesn't make the games crap - just might not appeal to you.

Ah ha! The nintendo seal. You fell into my trap! There used to be a seal of quality, but not any more (since 2003). Accordng to Wiki -
It was changed in 2003 to read "Official Nintendo Seal" rather than "Official Nintendo Seal of Quality". Currently, the seal makes no guarantee of quality software,
Nintendo therefore DON'T guarantee the quality of the software, which is exactly what I stated.

iprice said:
God Ginrai said:
iprice said:

iprice said:

-God Ginrai

Whilst there are indeed lots of ports from older game, I think you'll find that most disc based software for Nintendo Wii is actually new and original (or also a multi-format game). However, most of those original Wii games are also targeted towards the casual market too, but that doesn't make the games crap - just might not appeal to you.

Ah ha! The nintendo seal. You fell into my trap! There used to be a seal of quality, but not any more (since 2003). Accordng to Wiki -
It was changed in 2003 to read "Official Nintendo Seal" rather than "Official Nintendo Seal of Quality". Currently, the seal makes no guarantee of quality software,
Nintendo therefore DON'T guarantee the quality of the software, which is exactly what I stated.

Actually, you proved my point. Nintendo used to quality check and now they don't. They used to do us a service by checking for such crap, and now they don't. So yes, I do think that it is Nintendo's job to encourage good games, because they made it their job when they introduced us to it back with the NES.

Also, aside from sports games, most multiplatform games are not on the Wii. (In other words, they produce the games only for the PS3, 360, and sometimes PC)

-God Ginrai

The Nintendo Seal of Quality wasn't just a gimmick (once upon a time). It was their way of bringing some assurance back to a market that had completely crashed due to (allegedly) too much dross on the Atari systems.

They founded their whole business upon it. If you read 'Game Over' by David Sheff, he chronicles the huge struggles Nintendo had in convincing kids (and parents) to buy into videogames again. When they established NOA, they started off with a massive push in New York before rolling it out out nationwide. They won over punters by pure tenacity, and by having games of brilliant quality not seen before - you know, Mario and Zelda. The origins of NOA alone is fascinating, especially all the family ties with the Yamauchi family (son in law of Hiroshi Yamauchi). Oh yeah, and Howard Lincoln was the company lawyer originally (after the law suit over Donkey Kong).

Some parts of it are sad when you compare it with the company now. For example, Miyamoto was hired based on a gut feeling from Yamauchi. A lot of faith was put in him from the very beginning! He had some assembler coaching from Yokoi (creator of the Game Boy) and ended up making Donkey Kong pretty much solo (including the music). It turns out Donkey Kong was the massive turning point for the company, and gave them their lead in the US... they originally attempted to parter with Apple would you believe?

It's sad because Miyamoto admits that were he to time travel forwards to today, and apply to Nintendo in the same way, they would turn him away.

Back