4 Or 2 Player On One Gp2x Via Usb Joypads

I think you're saying that USB multitaps/controllers won't work with a BoB or something to expose the USB host connection in the ExT port? That's an obstacle I wasn't really adressing in my previous posts. I figure the commercial BoB will take care of this or I could take the route you've shown in your sig and make my own.

What my main point is if having a USB host connection is solved, then I would like to use a USB multitap configuration (http://www.retrousb.com/images/fourscore1_large.jpg, but for USB instead of NES) as opposed to modding a controller to USB.

After doing some research on this subject for several hours, I was able to discover the following site that has made USB controllers and the process open source: http://www.zero-soft.com/HW/USB_NES/
Unfortunetly, no USB multitap is listed here, so it looks like Retrousb has the market cornered on such devices. It'd be nice to do this not only for NES multitaps, but for Genesis, SNES, TG-16 and other systems multitaps as well. This would be a difficult project currently beyond my ability, but very interesting.

Jaguarandine said:
I think you're saying that USB multitaps/controllers won't work with a BoB or something to expose the USB host connection in the ExT port? That's an obstacle I wasn't really adressing in my previous posts. I figure the commercial BoB will take care of this or I could take the route you've shown in your sig and make my own.

What my main point is if having a USB host connection is solved, then I would like to use a USB multitap configuration (http://www.retrousb.com/images/fourscore1_large.jpg, but for USB instead of NES) as opposed to modding a controller to USB.

After doing some research on this subject for several hours, I was able to discover the following site that has made USB controllers and the process open source: http://www.zero-soft.com/HW/USB_NES/
Unfortunetly, no USB multitap is listed here, so it looks like Retrousb has the market cornered on such devices. It'd be nice to do this not only for NES multitaps, but for Genesis, SNES, TG-16 and other systems multitaps as well. This would be a difficult project currently beyond my ability, but very interesting.

I thought the whole point was total feasibility of USB, which is nil if you want software support to actually use your Gamepad. What I meant was that programs won't support it until the devs a reason to do it. They won't care unless everyone has it (them included), and that will never happen at the current rate.

As far as I know all you need is a USB hub and as many controllers as you want. SNES had 2 controllers, so get two USB to SNES adaptors. If you want it in a pretty case etc, then just put the Adaptors into your Bob and have gamepad connectors on the side of it.

The RetroUSB multi-tap is probably just a few of their USB hosts and a USB hub chip, you can do that yourself, seeing as how you need to make the USB a case (or make the USB adapter yourself) anyway.

I found a PSX multi-tap, can you name me any systems with 4 players? I don't really know of any off of the top of my head. I know the Genesis had some games with cartridges that had pad connectors on the side, but those are rare.

So all you need is two adaptors for whatever system you are doing, Atari/NES/SNES/Sega

Last edited by a moderator:
sehs33 said:
PSX supports up to 9 players in games like Fifa, Snes takes four players in games like bomberman.
I know, but at $10 apiece for PSX to USB adaptors you are looking at $90 just for adaptors.

If you want to do it just do it. That was my whole point (AKA Genesis had 4-player too, yet I don't hear anyone complaining about that on the Genesis/MD emulators for any system).

There isn't support for USB gamepads in most of the emulators, and PSX doesn't run fast enough yet to even make it worthwile to play 9 player games.

USB hub + adapters + Emulator/Program that supports multi-player = 4 to 2 player on GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back