4gb Sd Card Problems

spyhunter

Still Fresh
Does anything have this problem or know a solution please.

I have the RiData card (4Gb) from GP2X.co.uk but when I copy data to it some of the files state they copy but when i remove (eject it first) and insert the card back into the media reader the files aren't there???

I'm not an idiot but i assume its as easy as copying files to any other removeable device?

I have tried 2 or 3 card readers and they all do the same??? Could it be the RiData cards or due to them being 4Gb? Any help would be appreciated?

I'd try reformatting it first - it's possible the filesystem got messed up and things aren't being written properly. Some card readers can't handle larger sized SD cards, but I'd expect at least one of the readers you tried would have supported it (unless you're really unlucky). As a diagnostic measure, you could try making a smaller partition on the card at the beginning, and if that doesn't experience any problems, it could be a size limit in the card reader.

Yeah i had the same problem 3 times from them, they are VERY helpful about it tho. If your card reader copies some files across then your card reader works. Send them an email, im trying to find out if its a bad batch there's no way im that unlucky to have 3 Ridata cards not work in the same way. I've tried 4 different card readers even the one they use at GP2X.co.uk!

So get back to them ASAP the more they know the more they can do about it.

Steve

Mmhm, same problem here, with the same card from the same site. I never did manage to fix it, despite trying about three different card readers (all of which were verified to support 4GB cards).

It seemed to happen at totally random times; sometimes files would stop copying properly at no more than a couple of hundred MB, sometimes I'd manage a GB, and once I made it to two. No matter when the problem started, though, once it happened once the only solution was to format and start all over. Files wouldn't copy successfully anymore until the card was formatted...and that only fixed it until the next time there was a failed write.

I tried formatting the card in a variety of ways, and eventually concluded that it was just knackered. So I ended up just mailing it back today, and I'm waiting on a replacement. Perhaps it was a bad batch? I only bought mine a short while back as well.

thanks for your comments guys.

So it appears to be a bad batch of cards or maybe just Ridata isn't up to the job?

(just to add this is the 2nd ridata 4gb card i have received from them - and yes they are very understanding about it all!)

Back