6 button mod

frefol

While reading the Pyra threads about 6 buttons, I decided I would see if I could mod my Pandora to have 6 buttons.  I figured I would test if the 6 buttons would really be too close to be useable so I programmed my Arduino Leonardo as a USB joystick and wired up 6 buttons as close as I could get them.  Here is what I ended up with.

6button.jpg

The buttons are useable but since this is just sitting on top of the Pandora, it is too tall and blocks the keyboard keys as well as the right nub.  The buttons worked good enough that I decided to mod my extra Pandora case.  I have not completed the insides yet and I definately could have spent a little more time on the outside but here ise how it looks for now.

6button-3.jpg

I decided that I am going to try to build a complete replacement board for the Pandora so that the keyboard works as well.  I figured I would replace the nubs with the nubs from a PSP or maybe just use the joysticks from one of my broken PS2 controllers.

For now this will be an external USB controller but I had an idea on how to mod the actual Pandora to have the 6 buttons.  I was watching one of the videos on Sparkfun a couple months ago and they were showing off this Z-axis conductive tape.  I was thinking I could make a PCB that had the 4 button Pandora layout on the bottom and the 6 button layout on top.  I would use the conductive tape to mount the board onto the Pandora board and then wire up the L2 and R2 buttons to the extra 2.  I think it will work but for now I will just work on the external controller.

Maybe at some point I will see if I can figure out how to do a Bluetooth setup.

I'd be quite interested to know how it works out hooking up the extra buttons to L2/R2... that sounds like a sick idea if you can get it to fit!

Some people have speculated that the z axis tape wouldn't be good for prolonged use.  Your idea is cool, and it will be interesting to see if this tape can hold up to use in a controller.

Welcome to my favor.  Please keep us informed.

Goodness me those buttons look comfortable.  And your case, that's a sticker yes?  I remember you now.

I have not thought of a preferable way to use PS2 joysticks while still being able to close the lid, but that's very interesting too, I would love joysticks I felt less like I was breaking.  I was planning to try something like this with the Pyra after I'd gotten one.  I'm very glad to see someone else interested and more capable.

Directly wiring the new buttons to L2 and R2 is new.  That sounds like a useful idea at first, but may not be of much more comfort to PSX emulation than using the keyboard.  Then again it isn't taking anything away and I don't know if adding new contacts is feasible at all.

Good job.

There are various contacts on the board designed for us to interface our hardware hacks to - i2c and gpio, plus the various bits and bobs you can hack off the USB ports and wot-not, but the intentionally wired L2 and R2 pads are probably the best bet, as they require less hacking to get to work (already being scanned by the keyboard controller, I believe).

It'll be interesting to see how this works. Replacing the nub sounds challenging to me, and it'll be interesting to see how any of the design theories that affected the Pandora's layout are challenged - specifically the idea that you need clear diagonal access to the bottom (X) button.

Welcome to my favor.  Please keep us informed.

Goodness me those buttons look comfortable.  And your case, that's a sticker yes?  I remember you now.

I have not thought of a preferable way to use PS2 joysticks while still being able to close the lid, but that's very interesting too, I would love joysticks I felt less like I was breaking.  I was planning to try something like this with the Pyra after I'd gotten one.  I'm very glad to see someone else interested and more capable.

Directly wiring the new buttons to L2 and R2 is new.  That sounds like a useful idea at first, but may not be of much more comfort to PSX emulation than using the keyboard.  Then again it isn't taking anything away and I don't know if adding new contacts is feasible at all.

Good job.
Since I had to cut out a hole in the case, this one is actually painted.  I had this paint for one of my RC truck bodies and thought it would look good. 

When I was talking about using the PS2 joysticks, I meant in my external controller.  I don't have any plans to put the LCD part of the case back on for now so I don't need to worry about how it would close.  I want to make a complete replacement board with the pads for the keyboard as well as all the game buttons.  I might even add 2 more shoulder buttons while I'm at it.  I'm first just going to make a PCB that has the gamepad part of the board, then if it works OK, I will wire up 46 buttons on my breadboard and see if I can make the keyboard part work.  The keyboard library for the Arduino Leonardo seems pretty easy to use.  Then after all that I will try to make it a battery powered Bluetooth controller.

I'm using the Pandora shell with my own board inside it to make the bluetooth controller.  I know the Pandora can be used as a bluetooth controller but it does not have 6 game buttons.

Back