Action Buttons

How many action buttons would you prefer?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Turnip said:
Street fighter 2 used 6 unless you pressed start to swich between punching and kicking which sucked. Most arcade cabinets have 6 action buttons. You could use the shoulder butons for the missing two but that never feels quite right to me. If the only reason for not having 6 is that it would look too crowded that seems silly when were having a keyboard, 2 anologs and a d-pad already making it look very crowded.
As someone who mis-spent half his high school career playing SFII on the SNES, I can say that 4 face + 2 shoulder buttons is a perfectly viable option. You may be used to 2 rows of 3, but it is not inherently better or worse than an alternate layout. As long as you have 6 buttons, the system works.

And the argument against 6 face buttons isn't based on it "looking" too crowded. It is based on it "being" too crowded. Take a good look at the renders. In order to get 2 rows of 3 buttons in (while still having enough clearance from the edge of the unit and the analog pad) you'd really have to squeeze them together. As in practically touching. Hitting either of the middle buttons without hitting the adjoining buttons would be tough. Nearly impossible for people with fat thumbs (like myself), especially during frantic gameplay.

I agree that having 6 face buttons is, in theory, better than 4. However, there just isn't room for them in practice.

What there is room for is 4 shoulder buttons. Considering the inevitability of PSX emulation, I feel having the proper number of shoulder buttons is important. I hope the developers agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
Turnip said:
Street fighter 2 used 6 unless you pressed start to swich between punching and kicking which sucked. Most arcade cabinets have 6 action buttons. You could use the shoulder butons for the missing two but that never feels quite right to me. If the only reason for not having 6 is that it would look too crowded that seems silly when were having a keyboard, 2 anologs and a d-pad already making it look very crowded.
As someone who mis-spent half his high school career playing SFII on the SNES, I can say that 4 face + 2 shoulder buttons is a perfectly viable option. You may be used to 2 rows of 3, but it is not inherently better or worse than an alternate layout. As long as you have 6 buttons, the system works.

And the argument against 6 face buttons isn't based on it "looking" too crowded. It is based on it "being" too crowded. Take a good look at the renders. In order to get 2 rows of 3 buttons in (while still having enough clearance from the edge of the unit and the analog pad) you'd really have to squeeze them together. As in practically touching. Hitting either of the middle buttons without hitting the adjoining buttons would be tough. Nearly impossible for people with fat thumbs (like myself), especially during frantic gameplay.

I agree that having 6 face buttons is, in theory, better than 4. However, there just isn't room for them in practice.

What there is room for is 4 shoulder buttons. Considering the inevitability of PSX emulation, I feel having the proper number of shoulder buttons is important. I hope the developers agree.

Id say that N64 and arcade emulation is going to be more important to the pandora since PS's games are too big for it to really be practical unless you want to be carrying around loads of SD cards or only have a few games so having the propper number of face buttons is more important than 4 shoulders, tho idealy ofcorse we'd have both. Make the face buttons the size of the ones on the DS and they would be easily enough space for 6. Most people seem to be voting for 2 shoulder buttons and 4 face buttons which to me seems like the worst of both worlds.

8GB cards are cheap now and 16GB cards are getting cheaper.

Two slots means that you will have heaps of space for all your PSX ISO files.

It wont be as hard as you think, but I'm sure you'll still fill 16GB in no time. :)

icurafu said:

It wont be as hard as you think, but I'm sure you'll still fill 16GB in no time. :)
Heh, I didnt know that, not baught an SD card in a while.

Looking at the renders if the delete key was made slightly bigger than the number keys so that it'd go lower down and both that and '0' were as far over to the right as possible it might not be so bad having just 4.

Turnip said:
icurafu said:

Heh, I didnt know that, not baught an SD card in a while.

Looking at the renders if the delete key was made slightly bigger than the number keys so that it'd go lower down and both that and '0' were as far over to the right as possible it might not be so bad having just 4.

Are you defying my QWERTY? Are you? BLaaaaaaaaaaaarg!

Sorry, need to de-stress after work :D

Back