Triggers (Shoulder buttons), still confused

WizardStan said:
Being not-right and being wrong are not the same thing. My idea of external switches on the bottom of the case is not wrong, but from your side it's not right. That's fine, we work until we get something you do like, and maybe my idea will change and be improved as well. That's the point of a debate: I give my ideas, you give yours, if done right we both learn something, and thus the world (or at least our little piece of it) is improved.
There's no harm in envisioning concepts early, even without knowing the internals. We can always push things around if it turns out an idea isn't feasible. C'mon, brainstorm! You have better things to do at the moment?
I liked my idea because the triggers I've got cost 10 cents a piece and the whole thing can be assembled in about 5 minutes. Less if I use tape instead of hot glue. Also because it was a natural position for my middle fingers to push buttons from. But you're worried about poking and breakage, so how would you go about fixing that?

By watching someone with experience modding cases have to say.

I bring up the stabby issue because it's an easy thought experiment "What would it be like to have a Pandora in my pocket with big buttons on the bottom? what would my DS feel like in my pocket with buttons on the bottom?" I bring up the breakage issue because my old DS broke, I have personal experience with the problem.

I haven't modded before, and the Pandora may very well be my first foray in to modding depending on the solutions that I see people suggest. I have no idea how to fix the issues, I have no practical experience with resolving those issues. I haven't been shopping for electronic components, like buttons, for a decade and I have no idea what kinds of options are out there and how much they cost. That said, any mod ideas I do see, I'm going to ask questions about the ergonomics of pockets and durability of the buttons because I have either reasonably thought about it, or have had personal experience with the issue.

You suggested easy replacement of the buttons, and that's fine if you want little hassle to implement traded off for the possibility of needing to maintain your solution. I'd rather spend a little more effort in the short term to have hassle-free buttons over the life of my Pandora.

pandback.jpg

So do you think some kind of trigger might fit ABOVE the existing triggers? Obviously there's stuff inside there under the casing but maybe some kind of rubber contact plunger with a trigger hinge on the side of the hole where most of the trigger exists outside of the case for the most part... But still with a finished concealed look and feel... just an idea

Back