>6 Minute Load Time On Psp

I saw that. It's pretty outrageous. The two PSP games I have don't take that long to load; they're pretty much on par with PS2 (so they're slow but not painful).

What's making PSP games so slow? It's got plenty of RAM, a fast processor, and such. Is the UMD drive/format the problem or is it just poor programming?

Personally I find load times to be more an issue of the developer than the hardware. If you know what you;re doing many times you can make load times virtually invisible.

This video is hilarious though, THQ must have ported this directly from console version code or something rather than making an attempt to streamline it for portable use.

diablo2 posted on Feb 26 2006 at 04:41 PM said:
gta doesn't take long to load at all

WHHA

I tried playing GTA on my friends PSP and nearly threw the thing at a wall because it takes so long to even start playing the game unless its in sleep

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the games i've played INCLUDING GTA do not take very long to load in my opinion, but keep in mind, i own a neo geo Cd and am willing to wait for every battle in KOF 97. whooo great game

shinneri said:
What's making PSP games so slow? It's got plenty of RAM, a fast processor, and such. Is the UMD drive/format the problem or is it just poor programming?

I think it's a good quality mixture of both.

Okay, lets get real anal about it then.

GTA - Liberty City Stories
From power up to playing the game (without skipping anything):
00:06:02

From power up to playing the game (skipping everything that IS skippable):
00:02:03

From power up to playing a saved game (skipping everything that is skippable):
00:01:05

Damn! a whole minute? Shit! we gotta ban this game!

Seriously it's gotta be a developer issue more than anything else. Poor choices of what you are or arnt allowed to skip thus wasteing time loading the neceesary parts of the game are the cause of ANY game on any platform with bad loading times.

There's a follow-up, sort of 'parody' video now.

This video shows a comparison with another game, showing just how much playtime you can get from another, properly coded game while WWE is loading

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYyDkwIZbTA

Back