60K Gp2X Sold, 30K Gp32 Sold. Small Numbers.

rsuryase

60K GP2X sold, 30K GP32 sold. Worldwide. These are really small numbers, Atari Jaguar sold 250K. The Wiz will be lucky if it breaks 15K because it'll be replaced in a year or two. The open source community is small.

rsuryase said:
60K GP2X sold, 30K GP32 sold. Worldwide. These are really small numbers, Atari Jaguar sold 250K. The Wiz will be lucky if it breaks 15K because it'll be replaced in a year or two. The open source community is small.

So long as it is profitable we will keep getting devices. 60K is a pretty good number for the gp2x considering that it had no marketing and was made by a small S. Korean firm.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP2X DID have some marketing (in the UK). I remember seeing a few full page adverts in computer mags when it was launched.

rsuryase said:

And your point is?

rsuryase said:

Atari was a large company at one time, Most, If not all of it`s products were available to be purchased in high street stores (Jaguar included). Name any of those open-sourced systems you mention above that are/were available in any high street stores ?.

Trooper

High sales at a low price do not equal success for open source systems. There is no gain from the high sales because they don't make money from software sales.

So with open source systems selling less but at a profit is the only way to make money.

GPH were probably making $60 on every GP2X. That's a profit of over 3 million dollars.

Atari probably spent:

- Millions more on R&D because they used several custom processors that took years to develop; Gamepark and GPH use strictly off the shelf parts
- Millions more on advertising; a few full page advertisements in some computer magazines is nothing compared to the several TV commercials Atari did (you know, Do The Math)
- A substantial amount on documentation and tools that are well beyond anything Gamepark or GPH have ever done (even though Jaguar's tools were not as good as other platforms)
- Lots more overhead due to being a big company with higher average salary and more executives. And more than half a software engineer.

And were helped by:

- Having at least some real industry support in the form of commercial development from companies that weren't completely unheard of (although I suppose a lot of them were).
- Being sold in real brick & mortar stores, domestically
- Backed by a company that used to be a household name and once dominated the entire market
- Hype behind new arguably best in class hardware.

When you consider all of this, GPH's sales numbers compared to Atari's look pretty damn good. Then again, GP2X's numbers are inflated by including Vocamasters, I believe.

craigix said:
GPH were probably making $60 on every GP2X. That's a profit of over 3 million dollars.

Yeah, at least, maybe substantially more. GP2X's components were pretty cheap. The recent Wiz price drop shows just how high their margins were, and that's with a unit that actually does have more expenses (OLED, touchscreen, Lithium Ion battery, much more NAND, slightly more expensive SoC, etc)

what about the pandora, how many do you think they will sell? After the first batch I think it will become very popular from mouth to mouth

Pandora at $350, I doubt it'll sell a lot. Maybe 10-15K max. I'll buy it though.

i'll buy it thinking for the future, as ARM is becoming more popular amoung devices. Just look, theres even a netbook that uses a ARM9 and linux. (Qualcom or something like that was the name or the brand) If it wasn't for winbugs, X86 wouldn't be the king right now.
If arm becomes more popular, then people would buy it as a micro gaming netbook

here's the link to what i mentioned above
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Smartbooks-on-Their-Way-ARM-Based-Mini-Notebooks

My main reason in getting a GP2X initially was for the retro gaming value. Then I found this community that helped each other and developed open source emulators, etc made the final push in purchasing it.
laugh.gif

rsuryase said:
It's true, but the GP32 homebrew coding scene was at least as active as the GBA scene, which was thousands of times bigger in terms of userbase. And it was active for about the same time (maybe a bit longer).

So I think that those who did buy the GP32 got a pretty good deal, and GamePark made a healthy profit too.

BTW, are emulation scene on the PSP and DS a lot bigger than GP2X? Do emulators perform better on the PSP than on GP2X? I thought since PSP and DS is closed source, both wouldn't be good for emulators.

With the shit stick alone, the GP2X never would have made it far if it tried to be mainstream. Don't get me wrong, I've grown attached to the stick. But fuck them for deciding on such a ridiculous user interface. 60K sounds like a lot to me, considering.

Also, I think I spent about 10+ hours fine-tuning everything on my GP2X. Firmware. Folder structure. GUI. Icons. Getting emulators working . . . .

Also, Pandora FTW. I'm still keeping my GP2X around, since it'll be perfect after I kill the shit stick. It'll be like killing a demon-child whom you raised and resented for four years. And when the opportunity comes to discreetly off 'm and trade it in for a better child, taking the opportunity. It'd be like that. Exactly, like that.

rsuryase said:
BTW, are emulation scene on the PSP and DS a lot bigger than GP2X? Do emulators perform better on the PSP than on GP2X? I thought since PSP and DS is closed source, both wouldn't be good for emulators.

I think the scene is pretty much dead for the PSP. I recently looked and I didn't see anything that was currently being developed.

Chris

Back