-

It could be. But right now minicom is the only confirmed way to access the telephony chip.

Well not the only way, GTA04 mentioned a fully realized dialing software in that other thread. GTA04 has made hardware for other opensourced phone devices and they're using opensource software.. trying to find his post, but software does exist that could most likely easily be ported over.

Serial interfaces are really not that complex, Not to mention just on a simple google search there seems to be plenty of easy APIs for handling sending AT commands to a cell modem. 

https://github.com/faucamp/python-gsmmodem

That's a solution written in python, but it wouldn't be hard for even an experienced programmer to create an interface in any language.

Ah OK. I may still use minicom for dialling out, since it's kinda neat, but I don't think it can recieve calls.

Ah OK. I may still use minicom for dialling out, since it's kinda neat, but I don't think it can recieve calls.
Sure you can: 

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]from page 21 of this guide to GSM/GPRS AT commands[/SIZE]

Answer a Call A 

Description: 

When the product receives a call, it sets the RingInd signal and sends the ASCII “RING” or “+CRING: 

<type>” string to the application (+CRING if the cellular result code +CRC is enabled). Then it waits for the 

application to accept the call with the ATA command. 

Syntax: ATA

Command Possible responses 

RING 

Note: Incoming call 

ATA 

Note: Answer to this incoming call 

OK 

Note: Call accepted 

ATH 

Note: Disconnect call 

OK 

Note: Call disconnected 

But it won't make any sound or vibrate, so I won't know it's ringing unless I look at the terminal.

But it won't make any sound or vibrate, so I won't know it's ringing unless I look at the terminal.
well I was under the impression you would be looking at the terminal output in the odd use case that you see yourself in.

Yes, you'll need a process attached to that serial interface, but I would assume that could be as simple as a shell script that pops up a desktop notification when I receives a RING or CRING.

Back