A Brand New Problem....

Alt Scythe

Still Fresh
Well I got past the green screen during my firmware upgrade, but now when the screen says patching it just disappears and shows a white bar of the previous message .....I am so close. Whats wrong now?

It seems like your batteries are draining during this update ... are you SURE they're fully charged? (and you're using 2100mAh or higher NiMH rechargeables)

... what do you consider 'normal'?

But yeah, you're better off ignoring me ... I have no idea what I'm talking about <_<

Normal? A 1.5 volt, double A, Alkaline, Energizer battery. What I usually buy from the store.

Well non-rechargeables don't last that long...I don't know the figures but rechargeables are certainly better, you should get some cheap rechargeables.

Also, try reinstalling the firmware from the start again. Don't copy the file gp2xboot.img over, it contains the bootloader, since your bootloader is working just fine it is not necessary to reflash that so don't risk it. I can tell your bootloader works because if it didn't, you wouldn't be able to get past the black "GP2X" screen.

Blah posted on Mar 26 2007 at 09:51 PM said:
Well non-rechargeables don't last that long...I don't know the figures but rechargeables are certainly better, you should get some cheap rechargeables.

... yeah, it couldn't be the non-rechargeable batteries he's using that may possibly have died during the update.

<_<

Last edited by a moderator:
TelcoLou posted on Mar 26 2007 at 05:55 PM said:
Blah posted on Mar 26 2007 at 09:51 PM said:

... yeah, it couldn't be the non-rechargeable batteries he's using that may possibly have died during the update.

<_<
:lol: :lol: , Oh right, not funny :angry:

Blah posted on Mar 26 2007 at 05:58 PM said:
Well I just don't see the need for humongous expensive batteries, personally the cheap ones work just fine.
"Normal" rechargeables are 2500NiMH. Alkalines are not rechargeable.

Cheap ones?? $20 for 8 batteries and a charger that can charge them a thousand times? 4,000 pairs of batteries that last 4-5 hours depending on overclocks and volume for $20 and that is expensive?

OMG what has happened to the forum. And Telcolou doesn't have that "Guru" tag because he doesn't know anything (he doesn't have it because he is a guru either ;)), so listen to him, what what.

Let's see, Alkalines don't supply enough for the continuous high draw of power that a GP2X requires, they tank in well under an hour. Nuff said.

Actually it isn't "nuff said" apparently, it is repeated 3-4 times a week every week for every noob who comes up. Although some take more convincing than others (where's squidge with the bench-testing equipment and electrical engineering knowledge??)

Suffice it to say that Alkalines are a no no. Maybe try my 3 cell mod that puts another AA cell on the back in addition to the 2 in there and you will see long run-times for Alkalines, I am not going to buy some just to try that though. (I am serious, 5:40mins for 250mhz overclock on the battery test application, 6:17mins for 200mhz clock speed.)

What is up with Blah?

I'm going to have to side with Blah in this big "war of batteries". I have a couple 1200mah Digipower batteries from 10 years ago, they have been charged thousands of times and they still work for 2.5-3 hours. Unfortunately, the plastic casings on the batteries have just popped and so the battery is just a metal slug... But they still work for 2.5-3 hours! :lol: Spending $20 for 8 batteries is a big waste of money. The 2500mah batteries I can find in my local Fry's are really expensive ($20 for 4), so I just go w/ the no name 2000mah ones and they last about 3.5 hours. ;) Much cheaper too.

RockOut posted on Mar 26 2007 at 10:28 PM said:
I'm going to have to side with Blah in this big "war of batteries".

What war? :blink: Goddamn, you folks want to fight over everything don't you?

Here's my newest reccomendation: Use whatever fucking batteries you want; they have no bearing on anything regarding the GP2X whatsoever.

Blah posted on Mar 27 2007 at 02:43 AM said:
$20 for 8 2500 mAh batteries
$20 for 16 2000 mAh batteries

you do the math.

I've gotten 6 Energizer rechargables 2650's I believe they were....

11 bux.

Whatever.... whats with all the hate lately?

Yeah, my topic was nearly turned into a flame zone. still havent got any real advice that works.

Blah posted on Mar 27 2007 at 02:43 AM said:
$20 for 8 2500 mAh batteries
$20 for 16 2000 mAh batteries

you do the math.
I recently bought 4 3000mAh batteries for 9€ incl. shipping. They last about six hours and all i do is playing Neogeo and GBA at 240 and 260 MHz.

So maybe it´s the cheapest solution to buy 30 1700mAh batteries, but for me its worth a little extra money for not having to carry a pound of rechageables around which i must change every 3 hours.

Alt Scythe posted on Mar 27 2007 at 04:41 AM said:
Yeah, my topic was nearly turned into a flame zone. still havent got any real advice that works.

You have-don't use normal alkaline batteries. Buy some basic, cheap rechargables, charge them up and try that!

Or buy a charger and see.

yeah, alkalines don't provide enough constant power. And also: Listen to Telcolou, he is a pretty smart guy. This whole battery thing has been discussed over and over and it is proven by long enduring testing and benchmarking. Have a look on the forum and search for batteries or similar, I think there is even something in the wiki. @Blah: Yes, you are right, you do not need expensive rechargebles, however you cannot and must not use alkalines under any circumstances and believe it or not - there is people on this forum here who know more than you about batteries, my friend.

Back