A "broken" Gp2x -- Attempt To Fix? Sell?

dabridge

Still Fresh
Dear gp32x.de,

Wow, I haven't been here in a while. It's not like I posted much, but that's not the point. Recently, or well, 3 or 4 months ago, my GP2X went boom. Or actually, it just doesn't turn on anymore. Is it bricked because of bad software? I doubt it, it was on when it happened.

I was using the TV-out and using CraigAmp to play some songs on my TV. I remembered the batteries were closed to dying, and didn't have any extra that fully charged. I didn't like using it, but I went to my... well, I'm not sure how it's called. It's the power outlet thing. I always struggled with it to work on the GP2X, and this time it was no exception. It's universal, so it has a way to change the voltage or something. Me, being the idiot that I am, moved the voltage back and forth between the lowest and highest setting pretty fast, even though I knew this risked my GP2X, to see which one worked best. Well, you can guess what happened; the GP2X refused to turn on afterward. I thought it was because I was using the outlet, so I used batteries. Nope. I open the GP2X up to see what was wrong, and when I do, a very little orange like square falls out. My GP2X is practically dead.

I haven't tried to repair it, fearing that I'll just make things worse. It's been sitting in it's box (I never threw that thing away) ever since, lonely, without any ROMs to emulate.

I miss my GP2X. I didn't want to ask before how to fix it, because I felt like I needed to use it less, but I don't care anymore. If anyone wants to help me fix it, please tell me. If not, how much do you think a bricked GP2X will sell for? I want to get the most out of it. It shows signs of wear, and only one speaker works, but everything else works fine... or used to anyway.

Thanks in advance. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming that power was flowing through the multi-voltage adaptor connected to your GP2X whilst you were changing the voltage slider quickly? If so, then most likely it may have burnt out a power regulator inside (That's if it went above 3V, otherwise it shouldn't have damaged it).

Was it positive (+) or negative (-) polarity when you done this?

Sphinxter posted on May 28 2009 at 09:59 PM said:
Pix please.
If I did post images, they would have to be in a low resolution, since the only thing that can take pictures for me at the moment is my cellphone.
Do you want them to be of the inside of the GP2X? Where the part fell off?

polarity when you done this?
I'm not quite sure, I think I was moving this back and forth too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back