Gp2x Broken Due To Bob

Paradox

oh em gee
Website
Visit site
I've just been trying for 10 minutes to get the 2X connected to my new cased-bob, I (relucantly) ripped off the plastic cover after realising I couldn't get it on with that still on the 2x, and after 10 minutes of trying I still couldn't get the 2X connected to it, it seemed like the ports weren't aligned properly or something, I tried manouvering the 2X around to fit it in but I couldn't tell. Eventually I figured I probably just need to press down harder, you know, to properly 'socket' it in, and hear a click or something once it's secure.

So I pushed down a little harder, and it worked! but wait.. no it didn't, the port on the GP2X itself has broken off the circuitboard and gone /inside/ the gp2x..

i'm really insanely pissed off right now, but I don't really know what my options are now.
the gp2x is from Gbax, the bob from play-asia, I don't really know which products fault it is, or do they both just have such poor build quality?

can I send it to gbax to be repaired (most likely for a large fee) or will play-asia help?

some advice on what my options are would be appreciated..

Paradox said:
it seemed like the ports weren't aligned properly or something
So I pushed down a little harder, and it worked! but wait.. no it didn't, the port on the GP2X itself has broken off the circuitboard and gone /inside/ the gp2x..

i'm really insanely pissed off right now, but I don't really know what my options are now.
the gp2x is from Gbax, the bob from play-asia, I don't really know which products fault it is, or do they both just have such poor build quality?
I've got no advice but simply a comment on your experience - I noticed exactly the same thing with the cradle I ordered, and eventually I opened it up rather than try my luck with just pushing harder. There's a mess of wires inside the cradle going to the connector, all looped through a rather large ferrite bead, and this large clump, probably in combination with cramped space, is what's pushing the connector on the cradle off it's proper alignment. If I open up the cradle, and lift the lid far enough to let the connector be unaffected by the messy wires, the GP2X will actually fall into place of it's own weight (and no, there's no click). So I've ended up removing the screws that hold the lid into place, in order to easily lift the lid off when wishing to connect the GP2X. Not that I use the cradle very often, as my primary interest in it is using it for connecting a couple of gamepads and a TV and have a proper console. Unfortunately this is made somewhat awkward by the fact that the cradle doesn't even mute the GP2X' speakers when connected to a TV. Result: tinny sound. Not fun.

So it's definitely the cradle that is at fault here, the build quality of the thing is nothing of the sort. Shame on GPH for taking such a long time to bring out such a shoddily built product. I actually find the GP2X itself extremely well built by comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's definitely the cradle that is at fault here, the build quality of the thing is nothing of the sort. Shame on GPH for taking such a long time to bring out such a shoddily built product. I actually find the GP2X itself extremely well built by comparison.

I knew it, thanks. I thought it might just be my bad luck but if most of them are like this then I know it wasn't my fault.

well I took the gp2x apart and the ext connector just fell out, it had totally broken off, I tried glueing it back into place so the metal contacts were touching eachother nicely.. looked perfect and I though it would work (why wouldn't it?) but I put it back together and after 10 mins of trying to get it onto the bob I tried it and it just didn't work..

guess i'll be buying a F200 as GBAX have emailed me back saying it would probably be cheaper just to buy a new one..

ACk, sorry to hear that... although you have an excuse to get the new model I guess... sometimes I have the thought that my First Edition would break so I have an excuse to get the new model... While ever it is still working and fixable by myself, I know I won't let myself spend extra cash...

I've not looked inside a gp2x - but connectors like that can be resoldered back on quite easilly if you know someone handy with soldering iron and SMD expierience.

Do not attempt to do it yourself though unless you really know what you're doing..

hey, my GP2X and cradle won't fit either - I mentioned it in another similar thread on this forum. Seems like quite a few people are having this problem...

Back