A "cool Hand Held"

I know I've mentioned this in several other threads, but here it goes again: Heat is not an issue.
You may notice that the Pandora itself does not have active or passive cooling. It doesn't even have ventilation holes in the case. The SoC does not get hot.

It's been a long time since I've been in a physics classroom, but lets do some really bad science.

Joules = watts x time in sec.

Temp rise = joules / mass in grams / specific heat of mass

If we assume the Pandora has a mass of 300g (slightly more than the original DS), and the SoC is responsible for .25W of heat load (the maximum TDP), and the average specific heat of the device is 1 (this is WAY too hard to calculate accurately. It's probably between 1 and 3), then an OMAP 3530 SoC running balls out for 1 hour could theoretically account for a maximum system temperature rise of about 3C. And that assumes that absolutely no heat escapes from the system through conduction. It assumes about a thousand other things too, but you get the idea.

I know this isn't anywhere near accurate, but it paints a pretty good picture of the sort of temperatures we're dealing with. The heat generated by the SoC is minimal. The heat generated by the other components is minimal. You could entomb your Pandora in three feet of neoprene and it still won't overheat.

Chip said:
and the SoC is responsible for .25W of heat load (the maximum TDP)

Where did you get that number from? That seems very low for a 600 MHz Cortex-A8 + 430 MHz c64x+ + 1xx MHz SGX + 128 MB LP DDR @166 MHz...

Last edited by a moderator:
Laurent said:
Chip said:
and the SoC is responsible for .25W of heat load (the maximum TDP)

Where did you get that number from? That seems very low for a 600 MHz Cortex-A8 + 430 MHz c64x+ + 1xx MHz SGX + 128 MB LP DDR @166 MHz...
Damn. I know I remember seeing .25W TDP somewhere. Turns out it was for the Cortex A9. I can't find a straight up TDP rating for the 3530 anywhere, but ARM claims 0.59mW/MHz for the A8 which gives you about .35W TDP @ 600MHz for the CPU alone. I've no idea what the other parts contribute to the thermal load but even if you double the CPU rating and assume .7W for the whole thing (that's probably on the high side) you still only have less than a 9C temp rise under the worst case scenario.

worst case scenario

Had to point out the pun.

Also, if there was a leather case to be made, any case, I would hate for it to look like that EEE case that was linked too. It's just so many holes...

Then again, I havent bought a case for an electronic in my life

Nova said:
sm1988 said:
I dont know about the rest of you guys but i just turned 31 and I own both a psp and a ds but I think that the pandora is something that I could play out in the open with out looking "kiddish" I mean it looks like a mini laptop now that I am in my 30's I think it will be cool to have something more sophisticated and also allow me to play mappy land :D
You're right. It's just a shame that the console isn't leather covered. Now THAT's sophistication.

Customisation for the nation! :)

Prophet said:
closetwam said:
Balloon Fight. Sweet!
:D Balloon Fight is a great game.

And I'm serious about "Hello Kitty World" - it's quite good. In fact, it's basically a sequel to Balloon Fight (sans the Joust mode though) - for that matter, the same game was released for the Gameboy as "Balloon Kid." The NES version just has Hello Kitty instead of a kid. The nice thing about the NES game is it's in full color and higher resolution.

There's also an English patch for the game: http://www.romhacking.net/trans/157/

Hello Kitty World is undoubtedly THE game for cool grown-ups like us to play on Pandora! :p

Balloon Kid's a good game. :)

Back