A Couple Suggestions On The Design...

Stealth Bagel said:
You know, power consumption for the whole unit might be being overestimated. If the logical high voltage is 1.8v (most modern SOCs) 2A, which would be a lot for a handheld with an ARM based chipset and LED backlighting (not a cold cathode tube) but be just under 4 watts. I'm honestly kind of surprised 5V stepped down isn't enough to charge rapidly from USB being more than twice the system logic level....
1.8v may be used by the arm core, but there's nothing saying that everything else on the chip runs at the same voltage, plus you have all the peripherals that may be active (Wifi for example), battery charging, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this might just about do it:
PS-5372.jpg

5VDC 3.7A Switching Power Supply

You will have to find the proper power cord for your country, but that would be the case anyway. The figure-eight plug is common enough, at least it is in the US.

javaJake said:
*Jumps up and down in a crowd of UK folks*
Hey, what about us nice, friendly, (all-knowing, super-good-looking) US guys? ;)
It's a US company (California). If you follow the link you'll see that they cost $5.75 each.

I've bought parts from All Electronics a few times and never had a problem. Of course we don't yet know if the Pandora will have a 2.5mm center positive power socket, so don't go ordering one just yet ;)

realyst said:
though make sure it ain't cheap for a reason(why is my Pandora smoking?)
Thats why we need to buy one and rip it apart to see what its made of :)

atomicthumbs said:
The adapter-lump-in-the-middle-of-the-cord idea is either bad or good.
In that case, I choose 'good' :D

Anyway, this allows different leads for different countries without dodgy travel adaptor-type plugs. It also means there's isn't a huge lump hanging from the wall socket or extension block and preventing you from using the adjacent socket.

Squidge said:
Is that your... final answer?

Seriously, though, I completely agree. Seeing as how I move from Scotland to Norway a few times a year, I'd love to just have to switch that regular pin thingy instead of getting adapters and stuff.

Squidge said:
atomicthumbs said:
The adapter-lump-in-the-middle-of-the-cord idea is either bad or good.

Anyway, this allows different leads for different countries without dodgy travel adaptor-type plugs. It also means there's isn't a huge lump hanging from the wall socket or extension block and preventing you from using the adjacent socket.

Good call, it's also a SOB when the fuse goes in the lump type adaptors, at least with the standard plug the fuse will offer some protection and be replacable.

Back