A Different Skin For Every Sd

BlackDayz

Still Fresh
I was thinking while I was here at work, it should be entirely possible to symbolically link the skin files for the main menu to a directory on the SD, so as to make every SD stand out as a different menu. I can't try it out right now of course, but I plan to give it a try tomorrow, when I have a day off. I understand it's not exactly a "breakthrough" thing, but for me, it is an easy way to distingish SD from each other.

Can you create a symbolic link to a file on a FAT32 partition?

Also, don't try to boot up your GP2X without an SD card in it, or a new SD card that does not have the expected files, or even just has one of the files missing. That's a sure way to crash the menu.

It shouldn't matter that it's FAT32, as it is mounted under /mnt/sd in the GP2X filesystem. As for booting without those files, that was definitely not in the plan. I was going to test it out a little bit at a time, starting with a single image, and then expanding out once I've tested it for stability.

Yeah, but mounts under Linux are still done under the respective filesystem driver. I don't think FAT32 supports symbolic links, but let me know how you get on with it. Maybe the 2X can mount SD cards formatted as something other than FAT32.

FAT32 doesn't support symbolic links, but I don't think there would be anything stopping you from placing the symbolic link on the nand, and just having it pointing to the sd card.

From my understanding, though FAT32's filesystem doesn't support Symbolic links, it doesn't matter if it were a filesystem that did or not. As the filesystem is mounted under /mnt/sd, you could easily point the symbolic link to a directory below that. The menu program is very obviously loading after the SD card is mounted, so it should work very transparently.

Back