A hard decision to make...

That I think is where you are wrong, there will be some cases that it will run at a crawl in a VM on the WIN, but run perfectly fine on the Pyra itself. The processing power between the OMAP5 and an Intel Atom bogged down by Windows is not as much as you think.
Come on, of course there needs to be a difference between a $499 market device and a $600 premium made device :p (means : I am not that good at comparing devices)

I guess the same goes for the Pyra, which we will try to run some Windows apps with Exagear+WINE. (And succeed at retro point)

I have seen you in the pentesting thread, IMO get a SGS II GT-I9100, with the bcmon hacked firmware it supports packet injection and runs around $100 off amazon. It has been my daily use phone for a while now, just reflash with Cyanogenmod and a PIT to reallocate some more of the internal storage to apps and it works great.

But can it play Pokemon GO without wanting to kill itself?

You know what? I give up. I will not try to install a ROM again. It's nearly the 7th time I am reflashing the stock ROM because CyanogenMod always failed to get past Galaxy Note 3 boot logo. My god, everything that I didn't backup is deleted now.

If you're stuck I suggest you just flash an official stock rom with Odin.
You can't get much more low level than that and if that fails yoir device is probably faulty.

Not sure if you're aware, but the Pyra will likely work as a phone, and most likely there will be an Android solution available for it.

I can't guarantee any of that, but I'm putting my faith in it.

If you're stuck I suggest you just flash an official stock rom with Odin.
You can't get much more low level than that and if that fails yoir device is probably faulty.
Thanks, I already flashed a stock ROM and now it works.
Not sure if you're aware, but the Pyra will likely work as a phone, and most likely there will be an Android solution available for it.

I can't guarantee any of that, but I'm putting my faith in it.
You know, I cannot get along with bluetooth headphones so it unfortunately is not a possibility :(

hi,

I just received the GPD WIN

I hope the Pyra will not have the inconvenience of the GPD WIN !!!

Check out my video:
At 11'26, 12'53 and 13'26 :-(

It is a burden of not being able to play 3D games !! And the return policy seems complicated ...

For some series of GPD WIN it is impossible to play games in 3D, and we are full of contributors in this case !!!

For some series of GPD WIN it is impossible to play games in 3D
I am not that well versed in French. Are you sure its not a drivers issue (that could be resolved by the vendor or the fanbase) and it is a hardware issue? Thanks for making the video btw. Very helpful.

hi,

I just received the GPD WIN

Check out my video:
At 11'26, 12'53 and 13'26 :-(

It is a burden of not being able to play 3D games !! And the return policy seems complicated ...

For some series of GPD WIN it is impossible to play games in 3D, and we are full of contributors in this case !!!
Were you an IndieGogo backer? Or did you buy it from elsewhere? I mean, that's pretty sad, being have to send it to China... It doesn't look like it for now, but I really hope this is a software issue.

If you're talking about your 3D problems, then no, those won't exist on the Pyra, because the OMAP5 doesn't support Direct 3D/OpenGL in the first place.
All there is, is OpenGLES. It's similar to OpenGL but it's not the same, so any application that wants to use 3D acceleration will have to be GLES-capable.

My french is very rusty, so I didn't understand all the details, but I got the general idea of your video.
At one point you said that one can't use a stylus with the touch screen. Well, you can. The GPD Win has a capacitive screen. So you can't use just any stylus. But there are styluses that are compatible with capacitive screens. There's not much point in using them though, because they aren't much more precise than your fingertip.

If you're talking about your 3D problems, then no, those won't exist on the Pyra, because the OMAP5 doesn't support Direct 3D/OpenGL in the first place.

The PowerVR SGX 544mp2 itself could handle directX 9, but obviously we're not running Windows.
All there is, is OpenGLES. It's similar to OpenGL but it's not the same, so any application that wants to use 3D acceleration will have to be GLES-capable.
Well we do have access to glshim, which a Pandora community member wrote that does OpenGL 1.X to OpenGLES translation. It's been used well on the Pandora to get some OpenGL only titles working. But obviously being stuck with GL 1.X only has its drawbacks.

Some information about the 3D issues of the GPD Win:
GPD has been in contact with Intel.
Apparently, some of their chips have issues and crash at the moment. Intei will fix that with a driver update and are already working on it.
Until then, the next batches from GPD will not have the issue as GPD sort the chips out before production (they can be sorted out by the production number).

This information is very welcome but in the forum Dingoonity, we are many to have the problem and to have tried many drivers different. We have a contact at GPD who gives us tutorials but none of them work. And now they are already proposing to return the machines for replacement but the problem is that the fees are at our charge !!!!

Some information about the 3D issues of the GPD Win:
GPD has been in contact with Intel.
Apparently, some of their chips have issues and crash at the moment. Intei will fix that with a driver update and are already working on it.
Until then, the next batches from GPD will not have the issue as GPD sort the chips out before production (they can be sorted out by the production number).

3Dissues? 0.o" The majority of everything whatI've seen of the GPD WIN was fancy and fluid 3D Games...wow. Didn't knew Intel QC was that bad.

This information is very welcome but in the forum Dingoonity, we are many to have the problem and to have tried many drivers different. We have a contact at GPD who gives us tutorials but none of them work. And now they are already proposing to return the machines for replacement but the problem is that the fees are at our charge !!!!
Yes, and I'm also in contact with them (have to be as official distributor).
Intel is working on the driver, so the current ones that are released will not help everyone.

Back