A List Of Actual Planned Projects

Goobers said:
I'm going to develop some Music and VJ apps.

My main idea at the moment is to develop a configurable Midi/OSC interface to run over wireless. It will take advantage of the touchscreen and have configurable controls that can be placed on the screen. Each of the controls can be assigned to a control change or note on etc.

Perhaps I'll have a go at an actual vj app too, seeing as we're going to have openGL.
AWESOME! A portable touch-screen control surface for all my MIDI equipment? Yes! If you pull it off my computer and my Roland VG-99 will love you forever!

Another cool thing, seeing this unit has a built in MIC (does it have line-in too?) would be a simple multitrack recording system. A litlle musical sketch-pad for recording ideas on the move. 4 tracks should be enough (and certainly acheivable within the specs of the device). A drum machine would be good fun too (especially if it could be linked with aformentioned app!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
Another cool thing, seeing this unit has a built in MIC (does it have line-in too?) would be a simple multitrack recording system. A litlle musical sketch-pad for recording ideas on the move. 4 tracks should be enough (and certainly acheivable within the specs of the device). A drum machine would be good fun too (especially if it could be linked with aformentioned app!)
There is an audio line-in. I don't know if it was ever confirmed whether it would use the 1/8" headphone jack, or would be accessible with and EXT dongle. Either way it is there somewhere :)

Your best bet for a multitrack recording program is probably Ecasound. It is an open source project that claims to already work on ARM processors. It does not come with a GUI, but that is actually a good thing. Whoever ports it can design a UI specifically for the Pandora's screen size and input options. It also looks like you can use external sequencers for drum / whatever tracks.

You're not the first person to request an audio editor / sequencer for Pandora. It seems like there is quite a bit of interest for it.

Chip said:
You're not the first person to request an audio editor / sequencer for Pandora. It seems like there is quite a bit of interest for it.

I'm not suprised, to be honest. It's certainly powerfull enough for the task, and the touchscreen gives all kinds of possibilites to the system. I think it could even enjoy success as a commecrial app, as I'm sure Sound on Sound would give the app/unit a review if it were polished enough. Excellent publicity for the Pandora as a whole, too!

I will be coding some demos for mine when I (if...) I get my hands on some hardware. Also (unless someone beats me to it) I will port the Vectrex emulator I did for GP32 to the Pandora.

With OpenGL ES hardware support, I could pretty easily port Brickout over to the Pandora.

Brickout

Brickout video on Youtube

Ignore the choppiness in that video---I couldn't get fraps to record good videos of any OpenGL-based apps.

I should be able to maintain compatibility between the win32 and Pandora versions, so that you can exchange home-made levelsets between the two without any conversion.

So far a lot of ports and original stuff have been mentioned, which is great, but what about emulators? PSX4pandora appears to be the only emulator listed in this thread as an active project.

Isn't someone working on MAME?

What about MESS or some other computer/console emulators?

Any Apple II emulators?

PAH said:
So far a lot of ports and original stuff have been mentioned, which is great, but what about emulators? PSX4pandora appears to be the only emulator listed in this thread as an active project.

Isn't someone working on MAME?

What about MESS or some other computer/console emulators?

Any Apple II emulators?
Yeah MAME, maybe some of the mid 90's games will work better this time round.

Also Is anyone working on a Amiga emu?

delsydsoftware said:
With OpenGL ES hardware support, I could pretty easily port Brickout over to the Pandora.

Brickout

Ignore the choppiness in that video---I couldn't get fraps to record good videos of any OpenGL-based apps.

I should be able to maintain compatibility between the win32 and Pandora versions, so that you can exchange home-made levelsets between the two without any conversion.

Nice title. Since making a Pandora version entails making two sets of changes (one to Linux and another to ES 2.0...), have you considered making a Linux version of it first to get the sound and the input layer work done and then move over to ES (Which can be emulated on Linux with the ImgTec wrappers...). The result will end up providing you with more than the Pandora version of the game (opens it up to MacOS, Linux, PS3, etc. if you do it that way...).

delsydsoftware said:

Brickout

Alltough I haven't looked at sources, this looks really nice too http://briquolo.free.fr/en/index.html
No hardware requirements on page, so hard to say anything about it.
Possibly there are plenty of those, one could use as code base, at my university there was atleast 2 projects doing something similar as homework. :)

Edit: Well, actually I spend few minutes to look at sources. Code seems to look good, C++ , OO-design, i18n, STL, GL and SDL part seems to be nicely wrapped in MOGL source subdirectory. Uses autotools, seen M$ VC++ project files too. Downside is that i haven't noticed any comments, and huge part of names is french (for some, can be good side... :). It is GPL.

Pleng said:
Chip said:

I'm not suprised, to be honest. It's certainly powerfull enough for the task, and the touchscreen gives all kinds of possibilites to the system. I think it could even enjoy success as a commecrial app, as I'm sure Sound on Sound would give the app/unit a review if it were polished enough. Excellent publicity for the Pandora as a whole, too!

I'd also love to have a quick music creator with me all the time :)

has anyone here messed with those graphical DJ'ing apps (blend between mp3s, remix them at once, in real time) with a touchscreen / tablet? it's really a lot of fun, you can get a nice sound with analog input such as the big touchscreen :)

I'm toying with a couple of possible projects, the first is a FICS compatible chess client for the Pandora. Either via porting an existing client or starting from scratch. I've also considered porting the Inform compiler + an interpreter (assuming someone else ports a text editor ;) and wouldn't mind porting a password safe app.

All three I'd find useful, and would be interested in doing assuming nobody else has similar plans. It's the keyboard and wifi ability of the Pandora that's one of the biggest attractions for me, so the FICS client is probably the top of my list.

hey

If I get a pandora (which I'm liking more and more) then atm I'd like to start by making a little fun original 3d game (no idea what, but something like frogger or whatever), and I won't release it until I think it's fun, hehe.

Otherwise I might get my original gb and nes emu (nes needs most work) up to scratch and port them (but there will probably be other better emus for these systems, so I dunno), and if I can get my mod music player I've recently coded up to scratch (some effects don't sound right) then I might port it also (again I'd say there would already be some nice ones quickly made using SDL_mixer or some other lib), but I dunno.

Ohh, forgot about my old chip8 emu, maybe I could port this also.

But yea, I could probably port my gb, nes and chip8 emus in no time, but I wouldn't release until I got them up to scratch, well none have sound for starters.

Anyhows after I've made some little game that I hope wouldn't take to long to make then I'd consider making an adventure game, whether that be a side scroller (hopefully something like Cave Story) or something 3d, again I dunno.

I'd also like to make a graphical calculator or something else to make better use of the thing :).

So to put things in a list...

1. Some fun little original 3d game.
2. Graphical calculator or something else useful.
3. Some 2d sidescroller or 3d adventure game.
4. Fix my mod music player and port it.
5. Port old gb, nes and chip8 emus.

Anyhows if I do end up getting one then I look forwards to everyones progs.

edit
BTW, I thought the idea about having a place to meet for online play was nice, and I'd consider making a prog that makes use of an IRC server where players can meet and have a protocol for hosting/joining games or whatever.

cyas

Svartalf said:
Nice title. Since making a Pandora version entails making two sets of changes (one to Linux and another to ES 2.0...), have you considered making a Linux version of it first to get the sound and the input layer work done and then move over to ES (Which can be emulated on Linux with the ImgTec wrappers...). The result will end up providing you with more than the Pandora version of the game (opens it up to MacOS, Linux, PS3, etc. if you do it that way...).
That's probably the route I'm going to go. I tried to make the game as port-friendly as possible, so it shouldn't be a huge deal to port to Linux. Famous last words.... :D

Once Python gets working right, I'm going to be making a Galaga type game. With upgrades, base defenses, etc. I've got a semi-working windows/loonix prototype done right now.

If nobody else is working on it, ill port uHexen2, Stratagus and GemRB first.... they should be easy to port nothing fancy. I also have an Abstract 2D particle based minigame in the works. If only bloody uni didn't take up all my time.

PS: I hope i manage to grab one of the first 3000.

atomicthumbs said:
We're going to have Python and pygame by default, right?

If so, put me down for my new project:

SECRET COMMANDO
That sounds...
BADASS.
Any more information?

Back