A Lot Of Xgp Kids Information

Cheers. That reply really wraps up my post :)

(side note: My earlier post was terribly off tangent, so I can see why Epicenter jumped on me)

Another e-mail from Gamepark:

Thank you for contacting GAMEPARK Inc.

We just came back from GC Germany yesterday. The fair was very intense and exciting. We have been contacted by many game developers, content providers, publishers and distributors who were fascinated by GPKiDS.

I have read the discussion you had at www.gp32x.de. I personally visit the site to gather people’s opinions on our products. We are fully aware of the people’s critics toward our TFT-LCD used in GPKiDS. Using 320X240 LCD would probably be better in terms of developing programs and retro-compatibility with GP32. However doing so will boost the end-user price of GPKiDS and we will have to compete with Nintendo’s GBA. Since Nintendo has thousands of game titles, it will be very hard to compete with GBA although GPKiDS is better than GBA in terms of hardware spec and multimedia functions. We want to keep the price of GPKiDS low so that it would be easier for us and our partners to penetrate into the children and casual gamers market with the coffee-break games. We strongly believe that the market for casual gamers who enjoys simple 2D games is very promising and we are going to operate our business with GPKiDS in that market. XGP, XGPmini and GPKiDS were designed to penetrate different market. GPKiDS may not be the “best solution” to developers and emulate-loving people, but GPKiDS will attract children and casual gamers with its affordable price and easy-to-joy games. If developers wish to work with 320X240 resolution screen, they might have to wait until XGPmini comes out in the market. Although there are some possibility of changing the 176X220 LCD to 320X240 LCD, the probability is very low.

Lastly, I thank you for your advice on foreign support. I will contact them (Craig and Michael) to see if they could take parts GPKiDS business.

Sincerely yours,

Nathan

Last edited by a moderator:
But I don't think kids or casual gamers will be able (or have the initiative, actually) to locate and install these small apps that they are talking about.

Craigix and ED's stores cater to hardcore gamers because, let's face it, hardcore gamers are the only ones buying GP32 or GP2X, so distributing this "casual machine" through them wouldn't make sense.

I'm happy to see hear the Gamepark's closely monitoring the community, and I'm even more impressed that they seem to actually take the suggestions into consideration. Hopefully they come around and include the 320x240 screen.

JaqMs posted on Aug 18 2006 at 07:53 PM said:
Yeah, doesn't appeal to you guys because most of you like emulators and emulators ONLY. It's obvious most of you didn't read who the XGP Kids is targeted to. Is every handheld supposed to fit your needs: emulators, emulators, and emulators? Is$75 not worth something different? How about this: would you rather that Gamepark release a handheld with a 320x240 screen, D-pad, AA batteries, and all of that, which would either make no point in getting it because it is exactly the same as the GP2X or make no point in getting the GP2X since Gamepark's handheld is better?

Here is an insight, though it is a bit off-topic:

In 2001, Gamepark made the GP32. It was almost as powerful as the GBA, which was also new at the time. The GP32 gained success in the homebrew community. Now in 2006, Gamepark will make the XGP. It is almost as powerful as the PSP, which is still one of the newest handhelds at this time. Now why do you all say that the XGP is doomed to failure because of this?

Please explain how the GBA could possibly be more powerful than the GP32.

Blah posted on Aug 29 2006 at 06:47 PM said:
Please explain how the GBA could possibly be more powerful than the GP32.
It's really difficult to compare the "power" of these handhelds as their strengths are in completely different areas.

The GBA has undoubtedly far superior graphics hardware where as the GP32 has a fast CPU.
The GBA's archtecture is specfically designed for 2D type games - the most often used screen modes are multi-background character mode - like most 8 and 16-bit consoles. It can move large chunks of graphics around with ease and doesn't require each pixel to be "redrawn".
Moving graphics on the GP32 means redrawing each pixel - often 10 to 100 times more work.

On the other hand, the GP32 has by far and away a faster, superior CPU, though it is of the same family as the GBA (ARM9 vs ARM7). It only has a basic framebuffer and basic sound which is as generic as it gets. It's highly suitable for fast 3D type games - but we haven't really seen alot of this (I'd love to see Frontier on the GP32!)

It's kind of like comparing the Amiga and the PC in the old days.

The GBA can emulate systems like NES and SMS and even PC Engine - but not in "traditional" means. It does it by using it's sophisticated hardware which in most cases is a super-set of what the emulated system is capable of doing. For example, a NES sprite maps easily to a GBA sprite and the GBA can move it around by changing a few bytes. For the GP32 to do the same thing is a lot more work: Redraw the background, redraw the sprite allowing for transparency, etc.

So it all really depends on how you look at it.

It seems they forgot about the mobile phone market, This GPKiDS dosent sound like its capable of doing much more then most new mobile phones can, why would someone buy this if they can already do everything it does on there mobile phone.

KoH posted on Aug 29 2006 at 11:27 AM said:
It seems they forgot about the mobile phone market, This GPKiDS dosent sound like its capable of doing much more then most new mobile phones can, why would someone buy this if they can already do everything it does on there mobile phone.

Because a mobile phone isn't primarily designed to play games. Because a mobile phone has terrible controls. Because a mobile phone isn't ergonomic. Because most mobile phones aren't as powerfull as a GPKiDS. Because, because, because...

tritt_conner posted on Aug 29 2006 at 02:35 PM said:
KoH posted on Aug 29 2006 at 11:27 AM said:

Because a mobile phone isn't primarily designed to play games. Because a mobile phone has terrible controls. Because a mobile phone isn't ergonomic. Because most mobile phones aren't as powerfull as a GPKiDS. Because, because, because...
But casual gamers who already have games on their phone would probably be unlikely to go out of their way and buy a new game platform when they already have one.

As far as children, GP just doesn't have a big name like Nintendo or Sony and would have to do quite a bit of advertising to get into the kids market (at least that's how it works here in the US).

penetrate into the children and casual gamers market with the coffee-break games.

phones are perfect for coffee break games, why carry a new gaming device around to play 10 mins of Bejewled when you can play it on your phone already

Wow, that brochure really shows off how much ambition Gamepark has. At least at this point, it looks like they aren't showing any signs of future neglect for their handhelds, since they themselves are working on publicizing them. And at least they are taking the time to find some devs willing to make games for the GPKids. Look at GPH, 2 months and still no firmware update :p

awakenjsy posted on Sep 1 2006 at 06:26 PM said:
just wanted to show you people the GPKiDS in pink

click here to see GPKiDS in pink

click here for its brochure
No finger cramps!

So they're releasing a pink one? Perfect for JaqMs, I think.

Looks like a smaller version of the PSP, actually.
The white one looks interesting, honestly

Yeah, pink is pimp. The only thing I don't like about the white one is the lettering. It's too flashy I guess.

*waits for DaveC to post about the analog joystick and small resolution*

JaqMs posted on Aug 17 2006 at 11:30 PM said:
Here is a series of replies I recieved from Gamepark regarding the XGP Kids:

Thank you for contacting GAMEPARK Inc.

Here are some info. you have requested.

1. We are conducting "Open Beta test" in Aug.
Any thoughts from the beta testers?

Also: I don't have a gp32 so to somebody who does: Besides the screen resolution, what's the difference between this machine and a gp32? Looks like roughly the same processor, same memory, same operating system... is this machine basically a gp32 with a smaller screen?

Any thoughts from the beta testers?

Also: I don't have a gp32 so to somebody who does: Besides the screen resolution, what's the difference between this machine and a gp32? Looks like roughly the same processor, same memory, same operating system... is this machine basically a gp32 with a smaller screen?

We will probably know nothing about the beta testers : (

And yeah, pretty much the same specs as the GP32 (I think), except for the 2 MB NOR Flash memory, as opposed to 512 kb ROM on the GP32. Also, GP said that the screen is much better than the GP32's.

If by much better they mean destroying everything that was great about the GP32, then I guess I agree. The system looks really cool, but that resolution kills it. Still interested in the XGPmini though..

On your wedding anniversary, wouldn't it be more romantic to share the pictures of unforgettable moments together, stored on a single GP Memory Card?
:lol:

It has the same specs, but they are using different parts than what was used in the gp32.

Back