A New Version Of Beebem!

frutbunn

Website
Visit site
Hi everyone, although I haven't had time to finish the file selector yet, I've decided to release a new version of BeebEm 'as is'.

BeebEm runs really well with the gmenu2x selector, so I consider it usable enough to release a new version of the emulator now! I'll also release an update as soon as the internal file selector is finished.

New features:

* No longer dependant on a hardwired directory, should now install anywhere on your SD card.

* Fully working virtual keyboard with excellent graphics by Rooster.

* Configuration pages, simply click the options you want enabled and off you go!

* A Button mapper, no more messing about with configuration files! Simply use the built in mapper and click save - bingo!

* You can now change the audio volume via the user interface, so the volume is no longer fixed for 'flipped' mode games (or if you remap the volume buttons).

* I've added a few (free) games to get newbies started: Ball Game by Dominic Beesley: http://www.brahms.demon.co.uk/software/bbc/index.html, and OddJob by Mike Wyatt: http://www.mikebuk.dsl.pipex.com/beebem/software.html.

Limitations:

* You will need to install gmenu2x or something simular and configure beebem.gpe to start-up with the Selector Browser:

Press 'SELECT' over the beebem.gpe application in gmenu2x and then configure the 'Selector Directory' (probably as "/mnt/sd/beebem04/discs/") and set 'Selector Browser' to "ON". You should also use "ssd,dsd" as the 'Selector Filter' (to stop gmenu from listing any possible .kbd files you may create).

* Or alternatively make start-up scripts for each game (painful..):

Code:
exec /mnt/sd/beebem04/beebem.gpe /mnt/sd/beebem04/discs/Ballgame.ssd

Or something like this from within sterm:

Code:
cd /mnt/sd/beebem04
echo "exec /mnt/sd/beebem04/beebem.gpe /mnt/sd/beebem04/discs/Ballgame.ssd" > ./Ballgame.gpe
chmod a+x ./Ballgame.gpe

Some useful links for newbies:

* If you're not sure which games to try first then there are excellent reviews on this site: http://www.bbcmicrogames.com.

* Plus visit Stairway To Hell for all the latest Beeb news: http://www.stairwaytohell.com.

* If you would like to install BeebEm on a PC, then take a look at Mike Wyatt's BeebEm site: http://www.mikebuk.dsl.pipex.com/beebem.

Finally the emulator itself:

(As a tar.gz archive) http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/downloads/beebem04.tar.gz
(As a zip archive) http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/downloads/beebem04.zip

Right then, down to business:

* To bring up the virtual keyboard press START, and to bring up the user interface press SELECT while the virtual keyboard is displayed.

* The enclosed readme.txt file has a few more hints etc.

Some screenshots:

shot01.png

The main menu.

shot02.png

The virtual keyboard.

shot03.png

The configuration page.

shot04.png

The button mapping page.

shot05.png

Mapping a BBC key to a GP2x button.

shot06.png

Go insane in 'flipped' mode.

OK then, that's it, so have fun!

This looks fantastic. The BBC is one computer I've never used, so I will love exploring it now :)

One thing, from the pictures above--the virtual keyboard looks brilliant, but would it be better to remove the topmost part of the graphic (where there are no keys, it seems) so that you can see more of the screen while using it?

GunPei2X posted on Feb 23 2007 at 08:34 PM said:
This looks fantastic. The BBC is one computer I've never used, so I will love exploring it now :)

One thing, from the pictures above--the virtual keyboard looks brilliant, but would it be better to remove the topmost part of the graphic (where there are no keys, it seems) so that you can see more of the screen while using it?

That will probably become an option eventually, as well as other ideas.

EDIT: Forgot to say, it does actually work on a GP2x, it only really looks too big on the PC! Plus we have other cool ideas for that function key strip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to confirm - this release is awesome - works really well with gmenu2x. The emulator's file selector will be useful, but it works fine without it...

This release should be on the main news page...

Fru. T Bunn - have you got a paypal account? I'd like to send you a small 'thank you'...

Fru.T Bunn posted on Feb 23 2007 at 08:53 PM said:
GunPei2X posted on Feb 23 2007 at 08:34 PM said:

That will probably become an option eventually, as well as other ideas.

EDIT: Forgot to say, it does actually work on a GP2x, it only really looks too big on the PC! Plus we have other cool ideas for that function key strip!

You could always make the KB transparent with an adjustment for the opacity of it.

Nice menu and config screens.

Good work, thanks.

Instead of making the keyboard transparent, it might be simpler to just allow it to be moved to the top or bottom by pressing the L or R buttons?

Also, another suggestion - on the game key config screen could you move the 'back to game' button into the middle, and put the flip mode config box underneath? Otherwise you have to keep moving across the flip mode box to change the controls for the normal mode....

Gruntfuggly posted on Feb 24 2007 at 02:25 PM said:
Instead of making the keyboard transparent, it might be simpler to just allow it to be moved to the top or bottom by pressing the L or R buttons?

It would still cover half of the screen though. If what you need to read is near the middle it would still be a pain to read. If it was transparent you could see what you need. Maybe it would be good to do both, make moveable and transparent.

Also, another suggestion - on the game key config screen could you move the 'back to game' button into the middle, and put the flip mode config box underneath? Otherwise you have to keep moving across the flip mode box to change the controls for the normal mode....

I could swap the 'normal' and 'flipped' button boxes round so the 'normal' one is at the bottom. I want to rethink that whole mapping page anyway.

DaveC posted on Feb 24 2007 at 07:07 PM said:
It would still cover half of the screen though. If what you need to read is near the middle it would still be a pain to read. If it was transparent you could see what you need. Maybe it would be good to do both, make moveable and transparent.

I think ultimately the only way is to implement as many options as possible and let people decide what fits best for them. If I can get something that allows me to play text adventure games with ease then I know I've won! :lol:

On another note, the Beeb has a hardware cursor, so keeping that on-screen (say second to last row from the virtual keyboard) may be an effective way of working with a partial screen display.

It may also be an option to move the visible part of the screen rather than the virtual keyboard.

Gruntfuggly posted on Feb 24 2007 at 09:25 AM said:

or mabey a hide/show key (mabey R if its un used) so if you need to use it, hit R and it will display the keyboard, then hit R again to hide it?idk i havent tried the emu, but that seems, logical...

Goemon4 posted on Feb 24 2007 at 09:44 PM said:
or mabey a hide/show key (mabey R if its un used) so if you need to use it, hit R and it will display the keyboard, then hit R again to hide it?idk i havent tried the emu, but that seems, logical...

Does that already by pressing START.

The problem with using L and R is in 'flipped' mode (i.e.: using the GP2x upside down) they are forever being pressed because they are now at the bottom corners rather than the top.

Well faff me its not on the front page is it!

ill get it moved..

the world most know of this great release!

edit ..... Ha of course its too big for the front page!!

right then move it back to emulation.. !

Fru.T Bunn posted on Feb 24 2007 at 05:06 PM said:
Goemon4 posted on Feb 24 2007 at 09:44 PM said:

Does that already by pressing START.

The problem with using L and R is in 'flipped' mode (i.e.: using the GP2x upside down) they are forever being pressed because they are now at the bottom corners rather than the top.

ahh, i c, liek isaid i havent tried the emu, but from the quotes it sounded liek a good idea to solve the keyboard problem ;) (but i missread most of that) :D

well, ty for the emu, ima try it now

sensible GP32 posted on Feb 24 2007 at 10:09 PM said:
Ha of course its too big for the front page!!

right then move it back to emulation.. !
Can I add a smaller linked summary in News?
Alternatively I could ask this dude if I can borrow his news trumpet.

EDIT: Thanks for adding it :)

very good news description, but the news-post on the main does NOT mention WHAT Beebem is. I think it will help improve the quality of gp32x.de if everyone would just start with a very short description of the program or game they are talking about when posting news!

STTrife posted on Feb 24 2007 at 10:48 PM said:
very good news description, but the news-post on the main does NOT mention WHAT Beebem is. I think it will help improve the quality of gp32x.de if everyone would just start with a very short description of the program or game they are talking about when posting news!

eeek my bad sorry... ill fix it now!

fixed both news topics for you STT!!!!

Back