A New Version Of Beebem!

critical posted on Mar 6 2007 at 10:37 AM said:
ste_167 posted on Mar 6 2007 at 10:28 AM said:
Howabout, typing in an Acorn User machine-code listing??
Didn't they use assembly normally, though? I think the magic went out of typing listings in for me when they started doing that checksumming stuff. Where's the fun in that?

No fun whatsoever. Half the thrill was spending the obligatory 3 hours trying to figure out which line you typed in wrong. I remember one rather vicious April fool in Micro User when a 10 page listing (mostly written in BBC BASIC assembler) did nothing more than render a mode 7 teletext screen filled with the flashing message "April fool you wanker". The 80s were cruel times indeed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
rooster posted on Mar 7 2007 at 09:10 AM said:
Didn't they use assembly normally, though? I think the magic went out of typing listings in for me when they started doing that checksumming stuff. Where's the fun in that?

No fun whatsoever. Half the thrill was spending the obligatory 3 hours trying to figure out which line you typed in wrong. I remember one rather vicious April fool in Micro User when a 10 page listing (mostly written in BBC BASIC assembler) did nothing more than render a mode 7 teletext screen filled with the flashing message "April fool you wanker". The 80s were cruel times indeed ;)

Mornington Crescent

rooster posted on Mar 7 2007 at 09:10 AM said:

Hehehe.... I had an Electron before I had a beeb, and used to read Electron User avidly. I just found a website with scans of the issues:

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eu/top_lvl.html

Shame there's not a similar thing for Micro User.

Did any of you guys ever get Disk User? I remember a guy who ran one of the PD software houses used to send me them, and I'd copy-type the magazine contents into text files for posterity. I wonder what happened to them... Jesus, I was an obsessive youth <shudder>

EDIT: on the subject of April Fool's, I just looked at the wiki entry for Electron User, and it noted the one about the program to display colours on a monochrome screen by rapidly modulating the pixels. I think I actually typed that one in ;)

[quote date='Mar 7 2007, 09:10 AM']
Mornington Crescent
[/quote]what a beautiful endgame, Siberian tactics. Nice.

critical posted on Mar 7 2007 at 09:36 AM said:
EDIT: on the subject of April Fool's, I just looked at the wiki entry for Electron User, and it noted the one about the program to display colours on a monochrome screen by rapidly modulating the pixels. I think I actually typed that one in ;)
While we're confessing... On the Sega Saturn I tried an April Fool Tomb Raider cheat published in Sega Saturn Magazine: Activated by rhythmically tapping out the Spice Girls lyric: "I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want" on the joypad. If performed correctly Lara would strip and start dancing to disco lights. Didn't doubt it for a second thanks to their photoshopped pic of it 'succeeding'.

They also offered the friendly advice: if it doesn't work for you, your timing's probably a bit shakey so keep trying, or better still get a friend to help. So I did. Tried for about 20 minutes. Bollocked my friend for not doing it right etc. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I veer off topic... It would have been wrong not to share this though. I'm telling a true story.. for a change.

critical posted on Mar 7 2007 at 09:36 AM said:
Shame there's not a similar thing for Micro User.

Did any of you guys ever get Disk User? I remember a guy who ran one of the PD software houses used to send me them, and I'd copy-type the magazine contents into text files for posterity. I wonder what happened to them... Jesus, I was an obsessive youth <shudder>

If anybody is interested I could try to carry out more work on my The Micro User site, it could link well to the scans if they get finished by anybody.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/themicrouser/

I have quite a few Disk User disks and some scans, would the contact have been Duncan Webster who ran 8 Bit Software, I remember he was into Disk User?

I also have loads of PD disks in floppy and image format.

Gruntfuggly posted on Mar 10 2007 at 12:00 AM said:
Great site mattc - are you hoping to flesh it out with more stuff or have you uploaded as much stuff as you have?

Glad you like it, it has not been worked on for a few years now.

I have uploaded as much as I have indexed at present but I have an entire set of The Micro User magazines and if people are interested I will continue to index everything for ease of searching.

It is a very time consuming task so I would like to know if people would find the index of use, I do not have time or the webspace to OCR every thing. The survey to find out if any one item was of interest has proved inconclusive.

Hopefully somebody will also continue to scan the magazines and upload to the other sites.

critical posted on Mar 1 2007 at 05:32 PM said:
The Micro User Guide to controlling Revs by keyboard is actually here:

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/gamehelp/GUIDE-Revs-MU.html

Don't leave home without it.

LOL - I famous!! I wrote that guide nearly 20 years ago... My mate Clive typed it up, another called Craig took the photos (he had a big SLR) on my Mum & Dads TV (we had to move it out of the lounge into the hallway as it was too sunny!) and the hands are my sisters!

LOL - We even got paid for it!

I'll get my coat...

Leev posted on Mar 13 2007 at 11:33 PM said:
LOL - I famous!! I wrote that guide nearly 20 years ago... My mate Clive typed it up, another called Craig took the photos (he had a big SLR) on my Mum & Dads TV (we had to move it out of the lounge into the hallway as it was too sunny!) and the hands are my sisters!

... And it's still being used today. A friend found this very useful the other night - so many top tips! :ph34r:

Hi all,

Just thought I'd pipe up to see if there was any development going on at the moment. Not hassling, just wondering.

I'd love to see save states implemented to help me get somewhere with Elite ;) I did try turning the R/W disk option on and using the inbuilt game save feature but it seems to corrupt the image :(
Any tips anyone?

Afid.

Hi all

I am trying to use BeebEm and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is 0.4 the latest?
2. Does DangerUXB work? I get a disc error when I try it from a ssd image
3. Is the best (non gpmenu2x) way of running games via a command like
exec /mnt/sd/games/beebem/beebem.gpe /mnt/sd/games/beebem/discs/EscapeFromMoonbaseAlpha.ssd
and then saved as a gpe?
4. Is there sound support?

I love the virtual keyboard and it seems (from searches on this forum) that beebem is the most current bbc b emulator.

If someone has a kbd for escape from moonbase alpha I would be grateful to know the settings.

Thanks

:)

antaresuk said:
Hi all

I am trying to use BeebEm and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is 0.4 the latest?
2. Does DangerUXB work? I get a disc error when I try it from a ssd image
3. Is the best (non gpmenu2x) way of running games via a command like
exec /mnt/sd/games/beebem/beebem.gpe /mnt/sd/games/beebem/discs/EscapeFromMoonbaseAlpha.ssd
and then saved as a gpe?
4. Is there sound support?

I love the virtual keyboard and it seems (from searches on this forum) that beebem is the most current bbc b emulator.

If someone has a kbd for escape from moonbase alpha I would be grateful to know the settings.

Thanks

:)
Ok I have sorted the keys for moonbase alpha. Danger UXB runs fine on the windows version of beebem 3.7 so it must be something to do with the gp2x version.

Afid said:
Hi all,

Just thought I'd pipe up to see if there was any development going on at the moment. Not hassling, just wondering.
Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, been away from the forum forever! :(

Ho, hum... Unfortunately I'm busy with other things at the moment. Much as I'd like to continue with this... I'll try and find some time, but it'll not be for at least a few weeks...

I'd love to see save states implemented to help me get somewhere with Elite ;) I did try turning the R/W disk option on and using the inbuilt game save feature but it seems to corrupt the image :(
Any tips anyone?

Gosh! :eek: (Monocle falls out) However did you manage to play Elite with so few actual real physical keys! Amazing! :blink:

I'd need to add save states from scratch, so while it'd not be hard to do, it'll be buggy... I'll look into it, but again it'll be a few weeks at least before I can... :(

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly from the Elite USENET group, the version of Beebem I ported (version 0.9) may have a few issues with saving games. I'll look into it when I have some time. I could probably back port disc support from Beebem 3.6 without too many problems. I'll look into it in a few weeks (maybe).

antaresuk said:
Ok I have sorted the keys for moonbase alpha. Danger UXB runs fine on the windows version of beebem 3.7 so it must be something to do with the gp2x version.
The GP2X version is based on Beebem version 0.9 rather than 3.7. I've replaced the old sound code with sound support from Beebem 3.5, and the video emulation is newer. But there may well be the odd issue with a few games. Thought Danger UXB worked though... Maybe it's your disc image (or I'm thinking of the wrong game).

Fru.T Bunn said:
Afid said:
Hi all,

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, been away from the forum forever! :(

Ho, hum... Unfortunately I'm busy with other things at the moment. Much as I'd like to continue with this... I'll try and find some time, but it'll not be for at least a few weeks...

Any tips anyone?

Gosh! :eek: (Monocle falls out) However did you manage to play Elite with so few actual real physical keys! Amazing! :blink:

I'd need to add save states from scratch, so while it'd not be hard to do, it'll be buggy... I'll look into it, but again it'll be a few weeks at least before I can... :(

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly from the Elite USENET group, the version of Beebem I ported (version 0.9) may have a few issues with saving games. I'll look into it when I have some time. I could probably back port disc support from Beebem 3.6 without too many problems. I'll look into it in a few weeks (maybe).

antaresuk said:
The GP2X version is based on Beebem version 0.9 rather than 3.7. I've replaced the old sound code with sound support from Beebem 3.5, and the video emulation is newer. But there may well be the odd issue with a few games. Thought Danger UXB worked though... Maybe it's your disc image (or I'm thinking of the wrong game).

If it was the image, it wouldn't work in beebem 3.7 I would think? If you do get Danger UXB to work, do let me know where you got the image from. BTW, I think this emulator is great, I love the Beeb :) Keep up the good work

antaresuk said:
If it was the image, it wouldn't work in beebem 3.7 I would think?
Depends, GP2X Beebem uses the Watford Electronics DFS, Beebem 3.7 (by default) uses the Acorn one. If your disc image is a port someone made from a tape version of the game, then they may have made some wacky assumptions whilst boot-strapping it. Change the DFS in Windows Beebem to the Watford one (there is an option somewhere to load a DLL for this) and see if it still works. :)

If you do get Danger UXB to work, do let me know where you got the image from.

I've sent you a private email.

Back