A Nice Thread All About The Psp

sam fisher posted on Dec 22 2004 at 10:56 AM said:
CABBAGES posted on Dec 22 2004 at 07:48 AM said:
Ive had my psp for just over a day and the umd has never pooped out and any time i look at my ds now i just laugh at it :lol:
well if you are really into a game and get blown up or trying to turn a tight comner in a racing game because its so thin the you may exert this pressure.

Edit: PSP = a potato can power my DS longer than the PSP's battery can power the PSP!

I tried to get the disc to pop out and it wont. If I'd tried bending it anymore, I reckon it would have broke the PSP. In the video he must be either using extreme pressure (which I'm not willing to use) or he tampered with the back somehow.

You know the short battery life has been disproven. Only this week IGN did a big thing on it. MAX setting on everything (brightness and sound), absolute MAX, using Ridge Racers, the PSP clocked over 3 hours 30 minutes.

I know I'd rather have a minimum of 3 and a half hours on RR PSP when the DS version looks the way it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only heard complaints about the PSP from people who seem eager to promote Nintendo's hardware and see Sony as a threat (understandable). I'd take most complaints with a pinch of salt - new hardware is bound to have teething troubles, handhelds more than most. By the time this thing is released in Europe I'm sure most of the problems will be fixed.

I think I'm going to get a PSP, just maybe towards the end of next year. Reesy has made me get back into my GP32 in a big way (He managed to get me to take Doom, and OSnes9xGp off my SMC!)

The PSP looks like a fantastic piece of kit, but I need money and a job more than I need to be the kid with bleeding edge technology. Judging by the life of the PS1/2 even if I wait 2 years to buy the thing it'll still have years left in it, it will just be cheaper and have a greater range of games for it.

I'm sure there are problems with both designs, it's new technology but after a couple of production runs these will have been ironed out. Battery life will get better, I'm banking/hoping for big advances in battery life soon with all the high power consumption mobile devices being made. It makes sense for a lot of companys (esp. sony) to pour money into battery research.

my wife dropping hints now... about possibly being a PSP value pack under the tree for xmas :)

We shall see.

Oh and... I know everyone likes to argue about this with me, but I have 2 ds's personally, one for me and one for my wife, and my friend who also bought his same day, and all three of us are getting, on average, 4-6 hours battery life playing DS games. Not all that much worse than the PSP, IMO.

PSP battery life is not bad especially when you turn the brightness down a bit wich is actually better in some cases. I ordered another battery anyway but today i played it alot at work and still have at least half the battery left :D . Its just anti sony people makin these problems out to be alot worse than they are.

yeah, can't wait for this!

anyway, the h.2whatever codec doesn't seem all that efficient, well for their settings anyway. how can't a full length movie fit on a 512mb stick if its resolution is only 320X220(?), but you see high quality xvid encoded movies with a higher resolution(640X480) that seem to offer a better compression ratio than this.??
their bitrate setting seemed a bit too high, too.

edit!
this is in the wrong thread..
my bad!

yeah you really only need full brightness if you're outdoors on a bright day... if it's too bright out though it's kinda hard to see the thing no matter what the brightness... I still wish they'd made the LCD visible w/o the backlight like the GP BLU and DS.

I seem to be getting more than 3 hours with ridge racers on the first or second brightness level (out of 3).

bast525 posted on Dec 28 2004 at 07:01 PM said:
still wish they'd made the LCD visible w/o the backlight like the GP BLU

BLU's screen visible without the backlight on? When did this happen?

The BLU I have is perfectly visible with the backlight off. I have strong flourescent lights at the office where I work, and can easily play with the backlight off there. Also, playing even in direct sunlight is no problem... the only problem with playing with the backlight off is the yellow tint of the screen cover is very apparent, whereas it's almost unnoticeable with the backlight on in a dimly lit area. So... it aint pretty in sunlight, but it's perfectly playable.

Good luck trying to play a PSP outside w/o finding some shade. Sucks for me as one of the biggest uses for me for my portable systems is when I go places like amusement parks or whatever and am outside, in the sun, standing in lines sometimes for an hour or more with nothing better to do. Guess the DS or GP will be the system of choice for those trips. Even in my wifes car while driving around on a sunny day, there were many instances where I had to resituate myself, point the PSP in a different direction or whatever as she turned different directions and the sunlight was coming into my side of the car.

Another benefit, of course, would have been the ability to save battery power by turning the backlight off when in a brightly lit place. Quite the contrary, with the PSP, you have to turn the backlight to it's brighter settings when in a brightly lit place.

Looks to me like you'd need a really strong light to play BLU without the backlight. I just tried it under a pretty good fluro light and, while it was indeed quite visible (and playable), it was still better with the backlight on.

Not that it matters much to me - I like to play at night with the light in my room off. Backlit goodness on my gp32_console B)

And yes, you are correct, the yellowish tinge is more visible with the light off.

I have no desire to get a PSP at this point in time, probably not even when they get a commercial release here in Australia. But the future prospect of emulators via the memory stick (via a hacked firmware or not) would make it very tempting when/if such things appear.

Until then, I'll just stick with my GP32.

depending on how significant the price drop is that gbax is mentioning then i may be getting myself one pretty soon

has there been any hints at the us release date?

i'm hoping it will follow the trend of the NDS and follow the yen to dollar ratio when it comes to pricing, $200ish, yes please!

March-ish is the generally believed launch window for north america, the pricing is expected to be 180-200 for the barebones package and about 250 for the vamlue pack including soft carry case, headphones/remote and a memory stick duo 32mb.

of course none of this is official yet.

last I heard (I used to work at Gamestop, still keep a lot of contacts there) there is no mention of the value pack for the US, just the 'bare bones'.

but I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyways.

by the way, anyone who bought a PSP do yourself a favor and AVOID the Dynasty Warriors game at all costs!! I picked it up today and it really blows... nowhere near as good or fun as the PS2 ones... and it looks pretty crap to boot... definately NOT the game you want to show off to your friends to impress them with the PSP.

Also it's very buggy and very very repetitive.

yup i got dynasty warriors aswell too much jap menus for me. But i think if you liked this on the ps2 then you might like this one.

i woudn't touch that game with a 10 foot stick anyway :D
those dynasty warriors games have alwaaayys blownED. too much repetetive, crappy gameplay. not how beatemups should be. and you can tell they probably put that game together in a rush.
no offense to all you dynasty warriors lovers ;)

bast525 posted on Dec 29 2004 at 10:52 AM said:
The BLU I have is perfectly visible with the backlight off. I have strong flourescent lights at the office where I work, and can easily play with the backlight off there. Also, playing even in direct sunlight is no problem... the only problem with playing with the backlight off is the yellow tint of the screen cover is very apparent, whereas it's almost unnoticeable with the backlight on in a dimly lit area. So... it aint pretty in sunlight, but it's perfectly playable.

Good luck trying to play a PSP outside w/o finding some shade. Sucks for me as one of the biggest uses for me for my portable systems is when I go places like amusement parks or whatever and am outside, in the sun, standing in lines sometimes for an hour or more with nothing better to do. Guess the DS or GP will be the system of choice for those trips. Even in my wifes car while driving around on a sunny day, there were many instances where I had to resituate myself, point the PSP in a different direction or whatever as she turned different directions and the sunlight was coming into my side of the car.

Another benefit, of course, would have been the ability to save battery power by turning the backlight off when in a brightly lit place. Quite the contrary, with the PSP, you have to turn the backlight to it's brighter settings when in a brightly lit place.
you can buy a " Portable Privacy Filter" for it:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9e-70-fd7.html
They say "Privacy Filter. Attach it to your Sony PSP™ screen and avoid possible reflection"

argon0 posted on Dec 30 2004 at 03:26 PM said:
Just noticed that Amazon.co.uk are taking pre-orders for PSP at £179.99... See http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...9686305-5378254

Saying release date will be March 18.... Hmmm.. :D

Ouch. Isn't the DS going to be about half that? Not that I'd buy either at the moment as none of the launch games appeal (I have Mario 64 and I think Ridge Racer games are shite).

Back