A Nice Thread All About The Psp

Huxley posted on Dec 16 2004 at 05:40 PM said:
Cheers for the update Kop at sounds great. /me is jealous

spray posted on Dec 16 2004 at 04:36 PM said:
awesome, enjoy it kop

Thankyou, thankyou all, I would like to thank my frien.......ahem...seriously though, nice one.

I was thinking of doing some videos of it in action with video camera (also Sony) but the battery isnt charged at the moment - oh the irony of it all.

Anyway, I'm under the impression at the moment that the PSP is the best thing ever (always the way isnt it?).

Here's a video of the menus and that done by someone else:
PSP RR Menu Video

Last edited by a moderator:
Timpas posted on Dec 16 2004 at 06:27 PM said:
woa! Did you order from lik-sang, right?
How many shipping days?

Where do u live?

Nah, Play Asia. It shipped Tuesday and was routed through Cologne and then on to the UK.

what is this VAT thing i always hear about? i used to live in england, but that was years ago when i was a little punk kid.
anyway, it's great to hear you got it, and so fast too. enjoy it, man.
aah, with all these positive reviews i am SO gonna have to get one when it releases here.
and yeah, i used to hate fifa too, till my friends got me addicted to it heh. they're too damn competetive, and you know how it goes, good competetive play makes any game more fun than it really is. the peeps on xblive make it fun too.

anyway, have fun and why not be the first to try to 'hack' the psp, haha.
have you tried the playing a video with the funky h.216 or whatever codec it uses?

EDIT:

hey!! guy above! yeah you! mr. ma trickster! i used to be a regular on trickstutorials.com and bilang. yeah man, i used to ...now i'm lazy and bombarded with work and school issues. eyah, my username was lonetricksta , yeah yeah, shitty name.
i can barely do 540s now, haha.
later

Cool, yeah I do remember your tt name Lonetriksta. Im timzero. Im still training but much less because of winter, I need a gym or something. Anyway nice to hear from other trickers outside tt n bilang^^

Now my psp is in Cologne, how many days might remain until its in sweden?

I dunno if someone already posted this, more news about the PSP region lockout thing.

Well, it seems definate that the PSP will NOT be locked out for games now.

A lot of people got panicked about this after reading that line in the PSP manual about "this machine will only play UMD's with region 2 or all on them".

So Gamespot asked Sony again and Sony are confirming that there will NOT be region locking on the PSP, stating that they are aware that "people may take a PSP with them travelling and may see a game in another country/region that they'd want to buy". Just thought you all would like to know. The article is over at Gamespot in their rumor control area somewhere.

Yeah. It's of course what we expected, but nevertheless I am slightly relieved (though they could turn on us at anypoint and lock them).

Movies on the memory stick look so sweet too. Americans (I say that as the suggestion is that the UK will use the same Region - Region 2 - as Japan), If you're not bothered waiting for things like Final Fantasy, then the fact that PSP cant play USA UMD movies shoulndt really hold you back.

I know a few people are reporting problems - with the dead pixel thing being the only real one at the moment, but once the price goes down, I wouldnt wait, I'd get in there straight away.

diablo2 posted on Dec 21 2004 at 11:55 PM said:
is it smaller than ds kop?

It is actually. My mate has got a DS and we stuck them together, the PSP is much thinner but length wise it appeared about the same. It fits in your pocket better though, so for pocketability I would say it's smaller.

Some pics from PA

PSP and DS

PSP and DS 2

wow
this sounds like this will be a very tight race between the handhelds
this is the first time nintendo had a console going against it that was as small or smaller that wasn't ngage

and yes the titled badly needs to be updated "GP32- The Most Decent Handheld Ever!"

actually the main and most common problem with the PSP's isn't the dead pixels, it's the ejecting disc. Apparently if you even slightly 'twist' the system, it will do this, and this is like almost EVERY PSP out there.

though I'm not exactly sure how or WHY people are 'twisting' their systems....

And if Nintendo doesn't get some good games out fast, I doubt it will be anything like a 'tight' race.....

I've had my DS for... what a month now? And still there are only like 6 games out for the thing? most of which aren't worth bothering with?

yeah I looked at that kinda funny, about the 'twisting' the thing... as I don't have one I can't really give any details, just quoting what I've read at gamespot and other places.

The videos of people twising the PSP shows then being very harsh and putting unnatural amounts of preassure on it.

While the "popping out" might be a possaibility, it's not necessarily something that's going to happen on a regular bassis unless you're activly TRYING to break it.

*shrug* it does seem pretty silly.

I dunno I was just saying... that's the problem I seem to hear about the most, but yeah if it's something you really gotta go out of your way to do, it's really not that big a deal. Dead pixels on the other hand are VERY big to me... not that I'll even pretend to know how common a problem they are on the PSP... but I know I had two on top screen when I got my DS... really pissed me off. Nintendo currently sending me a new system as a replacement, guaranteed free of this problem, so I'm not too miffed about it anymore.

Well I must say I guess I feel a little stupid now. I had gone and canceled my order for the PSP because of all the rumors flying around... region lock outs and dead pixels and ejecting discs... and then remembering just how bad sony had been with their 1st release PS1's and 2's... just didn't want the risk of being stuck with a defective unit with no warranty at all. The seller was more than happy to accept my cancellation though, considering I bought it thru ebay with a buy it now price of $180 USD (this was the first day presales showed up on ebay)... now he can turn around and sell it for 3x that. Bastard....

Ah well... my new BLU is happily filling the void in the meantime until the US PSP's show.

CABBAGES posted on Dec 22 2004 at 07:48 AM said:
Ive had my psp for just over a day and the umd has never pooped out and any time i look at my ds now i just laugh at it  :lol:
well if you are really into a game and get blown up or trying to turn a tight comner in a racing game because its so thin the you may exert this pressure.

Edit: PSP = a potato can power my DS longer than the PSP's battery can power the PSP!

Back