A Nice Thread All About The Psp

Just got more bad news, chatting on IRC with a guy in japan who has a PSP. In the instruction manual for the system, it specifies that the PSP will ONLY read discs/games that are region 2 or region ALL only. Currently, the two games he has both have a region two logo on them. Presumably, US games would be region one. Here is his exact translation of the japanese from the manual "with this machine, UMDs displaying the region code ALL or 2 can be played".

SO apparently, the PSP's may be region locked after all :(

bast525 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 03:31 PM said:
Gameboy has ruled the roost for so long because there hasn't been any viable competition that came anywhere near it's pricepoint.
Theres pretty much always been some handheld out with better graphics, worse battery life and slightly higher price. And they've always lost out to the game boy. The only difference now is that people will buy it purely for it's brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
SLIGHTLY higher price? Lynx debuted at $299, so did Game Gear and Nomad. Turbo Express was $299 or $399, I believe.

I bought the original gameboy with tetris, four batteries and headphones for $100. Every game boy version since then, has been this price or less.

Also, battery life was a BIG issue. Gameboy has always gotten close to 10 hours or more from its various iterations... the other handhelds would get 2 or 3. This added up when you were buying 4-6 AA's per 'fill'. And since back then games were MUCH more a kids toy, parents were NOT happy with buying all those batteries so little Timmy can play while mom was driving around doing errands. Sure there were adapters and such, but peopel don't always think of that.

Anyways, here's a link regarding PSP being region locked:

http://www.techjapan.com/modules.php?op=mo...order=0&thold=0

bast525 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 05:39 PM said:
SLIGHTLY higher price? Lynx debuted at $299, so did Game Gear and Nomad. Turbo Express was $299 or $399, I believe.

I bought the original gameboy with tetris, four batteries and headphones for $100. Every game boy version since then, has been this price or less.

Also, battery life was a BIG issue. Gameboy has always gotten close to 10 hours or more from its various iterations... the other handhelds would get 2 or 3. This added up when you were buying 4-6 AA's per 'fill'. And since back then games were MUCH more a kids toy, parents were NOT happy with buying all those batteries so little Timmy can play while mom was driving around doing errands. Sure there were adapters and such, but peopel don't always think of that.

Anyways, here's a link regarding PSP being region locked:

http://www.techjapan.com/modules.php?op=mo...order=0&thold=0
Alright, I didn't realize the price difference was that high back then, but the PSP has the same sort of battery life (when playing a proper game like Ridge racer, not a puzzle game)

bast525 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 05:16 PM said:
Just got more bad news, chatting on IRC with a guy in japan who has a PSP. In the instruction manual for the system, it specifies that the PSP will ONLY read discs/games that are region 2 or region ALL only. Currently, the two games he has both have a region two logo on them. Presumably, US games would be region one. Here is his exact translation of the japanese from the manual "with this machine, UMDs displaying the region code ALL or 2 can be played".

SO apparently, the PSP's may be region locked after all :(

Harsh if true since Sony said this:

PSP adopts both a "worldwide" and "regional" code system," explains Molly Smith of SCE America. "For games on PSP there is no region code. However, due to language and system issues, quality assurance procedures are done in each territory. Therefore, we recommend purchasing both the hardware and corresponding software in the same market/territory."

I suspect that the region thing on the box refers to wireless gaming between games of different regions. The manual says it will only read discs that are REGION 2 or ALL REGION - meaning that UMD movies and music could be region two and game UMD could be all region (though this is clouded by the regions mark on the box).

What region is the UK?

Likely what that it means is that Sony had no plans to region lock their games but capcom and namco felt differently, making it possible that there will be regionless games and region locked games as well.

OR

It could just be a logo placed on the system to let you know where the game originated, or simply a typo. The forum link says "That translates as "this unit can playback 'UMD' with region codes '2' and 'ALL.'" so the packages may have been printed in advance with the impression that they'd be locked with to '2' and not be open to 'ALL'.

Kop_007 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 06:07 PM said:
I suspect that the region thing on the box refers to wireless gaming between games of different regions. The manual says it will only read discs that are REGION 2 or ALL REGION - meaning that UMD movies and music could be region two and game UMD could be all region (though this is clouded by the regions mark on the box).

What region is the UK?

2, luckily enough.

I was at E3 earlier this year, and during a press conference I also asked one of the sony reps about the region locking on the unit, and was told it would NOT be region locked for games, but would be for movies, so this bit came as a surprise to me. I'm unsure what to think at this moment, except that, I know Sony have done some crappy things in the past, and would not be surprised if they did end up region locking the thing.

All games available for the PSP right now are clearly marked as region 2.

Mr Twit - yeah, the PSP battery life is comparable to the old handheld systems like the lynx and the nomad, however, the psp comes with it's own rechargeable battery, so you're not buying 6 AA's per play. And anyways, the DS isn't getting great battery life either. Though I've heard 'tales' of people getting 10 hours, I bought two DS's myself, one for me and one for my wife, also my good friend at work bought one, and we all are getting average of 5 hours between charges, if playing only DS games.

Well until we have units from a different region or until someone speaks up about it we wont rally know if this is really a lock out or just a printing quirk.

I got a copy of Burnout3 for PS2 a while back and it was labled T for teen, the reason being the violent crashes supposedly but they had forgotten to lable that the game also has mild music lyrics or language so they put a sticker on the outside of the box with the corrected rating for the thousands of games that had already been printed rather than call them all back and change the cover.

More news rolling in from the 'front'.

Well... many many peeps were speculating that, this being Sony and all, that the first batch of PSPs would be problem ridden... and well... seems we were right.

Sony hath done it again!!!

Apparently a large percentage of PSP's have already been reported to have problems, such as dead pixels on the screen, or the UMD drive suddenly ejecting by itself.

I'm getting pretty disillusioned with the PSP right about now.....

Well with a launch of only 200,000 units it's bound to seem like a huge amount even if 5% of them turn up with problems, the question is when they get into a larger roll out wil that contiune to be as problem ridden.

You don't really hear about dead pixels on GP32's though :)

What Kop_007 says makes me hopefull abou the region locking thing though....

first version sony systems ALLLWAYSS have major probs and suck period. i don't know anyone, for example, that has a working version 1 ps2 or ps1. especially the first version ps1, man was that thing made crappy or what. everyone esle seems to make durable system..like the DC..man that thing was a soldier. my version 1 got heavy use since 99 and it's still running good.

Actually, I do still have a gen 1 PSX, with the seperate three seperate RGB outputs. I've also modchipped it. It still works fine, so far as I know, though I don't play it much anymore except for a few import games I play every now and then. I've never had overheating probs with it, and I dont have to turn it on it's side or upside or anything....

I got one of the first PS2s when they came out in the UK. Ran crappy low quality cdrs on it for years with self installed (1 wire) neo key. Was still going stron until the day I sold it a few weeks ago. Though it only had one game (or variations of the game) in it for like 2 years.

Also got the PS1 the first Christmas it was out, had to send it to Sony once - everytime you plugged a memory card in, the controllers wouldnt work. Weird. They charged me £50 and fixed it.

Back