A Nice Thread All About The Psp

reading the latest post with the disection of the psp they seem to be trying to shift any blame from themselves and justify a ridiculous price tag.

was i being really thick or have they STILL not announced how much psps are going to cost?

They announced the Japanese price (19,800 yen) a while back but have yet to confirm anything for Europe or the US. But considering that its region-free they can't really hope to release it at anything over £200. £150-175 is more likely.

No word from Play Asia as of yet about definite stock levels and possible price hike.

With Lik-Sang quoting the $450-600 it does not look good.

I've had no word from Play Asia yet as to price increases or when it is likely to ship.

I have noticed that they have increased the price of games by $10 (though not in my order page) and most of the games say 'shipping after 1 week'. The console is still 'out of stock' and is not available for purchase.

With Hong Kong being ahead of us, I would have though there might have been an email by now.

Ah well, will just have to wait and see.

as of right now it is 8pm dec 12 in Japan, so the PSP release, rush and surely sell out have all come and gone. Lik sang is quoting from $450-600?? Wow why am I not surprised :)

and more good news :angry: Gamespot is quoting a battery life of around 3 hours playing Ridge Racers <_< :angry:

I know Sony was saying 4-6 but come ON....

Heh... the more hands-on info I read about PSP, the less I like it (though I still love it :D )

Even MORE good news... the PSP screen is backlight ONLY, it's not reflective at all. This part REALLY has me in shock, as I figured... with the DS you can play it outdoors with the light off no problem. I thought PSP would be the same. Nope, PSP is more like those old backlit handhelds like the game gear and lynx, in that you can not see it at all with the backlight off, no matter how brightly lit of an area you stand in. This sux as it will make playing outdoors dificult, no doubt, as it did with those old backlit handhelds.

Also, good luck to anyone who gets scratches on their PSP screens... the screen cover is not a seperate replacable item, rather the whole front half of the system case is one piece. Well okay so this shouldn't be too hard to replace I guess, IF sony will sell replacements (encouraging you to open your system? you KNOW that would void your warranty...).

mama mia!!
so much for importing mine. might as well wait for the us release and preoder when it's available

When I get my import one later this month, I think it will just stay in the box until I get my hands on a removable film cover... dont want to take any chances. Not that it matters... I dont even know when I'll get some games for it.

Seriously though there are a lot of little things have come up lately that make the PSP just a bit less desirable. Like the fact that the thing may just be near unplayable outdoors on a bright day. Battery life I can live with though.

Yeah, its closer to a PS2 than a PS1. Kinda like a PS1.7. Or maybe 1.8.

Also, this is the first generation of software so probability is that they'll look even better a couple of years down the line. Nintendo may continue to dominate this generation of handhelds but Sony certainly haven't got another Game Gear/Lynx on their hands!

If nintendo dominates with the DS I'll be surprised. We all thought price would be the DS's big advantage and then Sony dropped the bomb on them by releasing for a mere $40 more than the DS in Japan. But look what that extra $40 buys you. All nintendo has left to fight with are the 'innovation' of the touch screen, which IMO ain't that great, and 1st party exclusives. Well we've all seen, in the case of the gamecube and the nintendo 64, no matter how good their exclusives are, they aren't enough to make you #1 (n64 never beat out PS1, gamecube seems to a solid 3rd in the current 'war'). Gameboy has ruled the roost for so long because there hasn't been any viable competition that came anywhere near it's pricepoint.

PSP is definately way above PS1, I've been saying it's squarely between the dreamcast and ps2 in terms of graphic ability. Further, psp can handle NURBS, which are a newer way of handling rounded objects, far superior to polygons, for those who don't know. PS2 doesn't do nurbs... so in some instances you may see things look even BETTER on PSP.

I just get mad when Sony does stupid little things just because they think or know they can. They skip out on important features... seems like they do it purely out of arrogance. Like the PS2 being the only current system not to support 4 players right out of the box... little stuff like that. Or making the PSP screen unusable with the backlight off. The DS's backlit screen is one of of the most fantastic things I've beheld in terms of functionality, since I've been into video games. Sony should have followed suit on this one.......

for anyone not reading up over there, Lik Sang keeps dropping big time hints that the price for the PSP presales will be way up there. I've read I think three different articles on their website now, where they go on and on about how hard it is to get them, what they've had to go thru, why the prices are so high from various other places, and why you should expect to pay a lot if you want yours now. And yet still they have not announced their official price.

Very interesting <_<

bast525 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 03:55 PM said:
for anyone not reading up over there, Lik Sang keeps dropping big time hints that the price for the PSP presales will be way up there. I've read I think three different articles on their website now, where they go on and on about how hard it is to get them, what they've had to go thru, why the prices are so high from various other places, and why you should expect to pay a lot if you want yours now. And yet still they have not announced their official price.

Very interesting <_<

The Lik Sang email

Dear ___________,

Please ignore this email if you decide to wait for the PSP price to drop down, or reply immediately if you want us to process your order still before Christmas.

The first deliveries of Sony PSP Value Packs are now getting in and will soon be ready to ship. Because of the shortage and other circumstances described in our recent PSP updates and emails, the price is unfortunately hiked and will stay like this until early next year. At this point of time you have three options:

Option #1: Get your PSP shipped as soon as possible
---------------------------------------------------

- Only "Value Packs" for $529 (EUR 398/GBP 275) can be shipped currently
- Only Ridge Racers or Vampire Chronicle can be shipped ($59.90)
- Please confirm which game you want us to ship, or if you want both of them
- Other games will soon be ready seperately (Free Shipping Worldwide)
- Due to the shortage, the PSP price will NOT drop before next year
- Only insured UPS shipping is available ($30-$40 depending on location)
- Credit Card or Telegraphic Transfer (T/T) to HK only (payment in US$)
- Other items in your order will be separated & process within 5 to 14 days

Please reply to this email and tell us that you want us to ship your system. We will set everything up for you and keep you informed about the status.

Please keep your confirmation email as short as possible and confirm without asking questions that are already answered in this email or in the PSP Update on our web site. This helps Lik Sang a great deal in providing fast servicing of answers and rush processing or the orders.

Important: There are tight deadlines and only the fastest ones can make it to the first shipments.

Sony PSP Value Pack Content:

- PSP Hardware (PSP-1000K Value Pack)
- PSP Memory Stick Duo 32MB
- PSP Headphones With Remote Control
- PSP Soft Case & Hand Strap
- PSP AC Adapter (100V-240V, 50/60Hz, works worldwide)
- PSP Battery Pack
- Free Travel Plug (to fit in your country)

Option #2: Keep your position & wait for the price to normalize
---------------------------------------------------------------

- Due to the shortage, the price will NOT drop before next year
- There is no guarantee when Sony will make more units available
- If you decide to wait, you will not loose your position
- Other payment and shipping options will be available next year

If you choose to wait for cheaper stock to arrive, there is no need to reply to the email, as ignoring the first launch offer still lets you keep your spot in the reservation list. If you decide to ask questions, we will reply to them once the initial mass shipment has left our warehouse and all first-release orders have been dealt with.

Please understand that this is the only way to get thousands of PSP systems shipped in time.

Option #3: Cancel your order
----------------------------

- Even you cannot accept Option #1, it is not recommended to cancel
- The market will clear early next year, no new orders until then
- You can secure your pre-order position and continue monitoring
- Cancellations can be done automatically in your My Account
- We will never ever ship your order without your permission

Payment Options:
----------------

Due to the urgency in processing Sony PSP orders, and due to the limited resources available in the middle of the Christmas rush, Lik Sang will only be able to accept the following payment options for your order:

Last edited by a moderator:
fuck me!

well i know what i'm planning to do, get the psp as a birthday present!

its june next year, by that the euro launch will have come or be very close so english games will be available, i will then order from somewhere in america in order to combat rip off britain (if the dollar is still as weak as it stands that will help as well) or i may wait until august when my family (not me unfortunately) is heading over to the states for a while, and have them pick me one up then!

spray posted on Dec 13 2004 at 04:47 PM said:
fuck me!

well i know what i'm planning to do, get the psp as a birthday present!

its june next year, by that the euro launch will have come or be very close so english games will be available, i will then order from somewhere in america in order to combat rip off britain (if the dollar is still as weak as it stands that will help as well) or i may wait until august when my family (not me unfortunately) is heading over to the states for a while, and have them pick me one up then!
same here :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back