A Personal Opinion About The Case (Moulding)

It's definitely a bad batch which is the insulting part, especially when this problem wasn't present on the past cases. It's always X steps forward, Y steps back. I don't know what those values are yet. :)

We don't have a choice about going with them. We are a year and a half in with this company (going back to CNC/SLA prototypes), they have a ton of our money and if we said we were starting all the molds over with another company, everybody would try to cancel their order and OpenPandora Ltd. would declare bankruptcy. For the past five months we've just been hoping that the next leap was the leap home. :D

WizardStan said:
MWeston said:
Phawx said:
I have a question. MWeston said he got seven cases. Do all seven cases have the same crack on the hinge?
yes
That seems like a definite deal breaker to me, then. Visual imperfections are one thing, this is a bloody crack in the case. Why are you even considering going with these?
I agree. Despite having said I'd go with them given the choice to preserve my place in line, I'm not so sure anymore (knowing now that it's much more than visual flaws & that the crack was not limited to just the one case).

It's looking less & less likely that a small run of these cases is a viable option, but I suppose well have to wait till monday for the full story...

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted for a quick Pandora but I would rather wait then deal with a faulty hinge. If I knew replacement cases would eventually be available I'd want the early one, and I don't mind paying for the new case. I'd even pre-order it! :)

As far as mass cancellation, I do agree there might be a significant amount of cancelled orders on further delays, but I don't think it would reach 50%, and a lot of it might come back from people grabbing open slots when a better case is made. Although, if you decide to send the inferior ones to those that knowingly opt-in, I believe that will save the most amount of faith in the situation. As for bad press, the type of people that are getting these first batchers, especially those opting for the inferior case, will likely focus on the awesome capability and features, more then barely noticeable imperfections in the case. Even the crack is easily shoved off as "first batch defect, replacement will be available" with no big deal.

We will see what the factory says on Monday, but know my money is in it for the long haul however this all turns out... and I have a bunch of friends that I can guarantee sales to once they see what I can do with mine, however the case looks.

- trix

@Mweston

Thanks for the info. :) Also, nice Quantum Leap reference.

@DroneB Dev

From your experience what are the type of questions that should be asked on Monday? I ask because from the info you have and your experience, maybe you could enlighten all of us what we are looking for? Because I am hoping it's just a mechanical problem, but then I really have to wonder how incompetent this company is.

So please, if you could spare a moment, what would be some questions from you if you ordered this case and received the revision 3?

SONY said:
Michael, why don't you go over to China and start puching heads in?
First, I don't speak Chinese. I'm pretty sure the international language is love and not face smashing. What a pity ;)

Second, I can't afford it and I don't think it will help. Fatih has better access and capabilities to travel there, but he now has a liaison to deal with this company for us and that is where we are at right now. They take my detailed reports and pictures and get it communicated to this company. I hope we get some real answers on Monday.

MWeston said:
For the past five months we've just been hoping that the next leap was the leap home. :D

Interesting post from The Big Thread:

Madcad77 said:
From what I have seen of these new mouldings, your moulding company needs to run a small batch to validate thier parameters, things like mould temperature, injection pressures, cycle times etc.

These coupled with venting added in the correct positions (tiny modifications 1- 2 days max) will sort out your sinkages, short fills etc.

The greasy finish you mention is most probably due to excessive release agent used when running the mould for the first time (reduces the risk of the moulding sticking in the tool).

I have been designing plastic components for over 10 years now, and alot of your issues with Chinese moulding companies are well known, regardless which company you chose over there, they just work diferently to us.

I am very optimistic though, when these parts are run to the correct production processes, perhaps with extra venting, your cosmetic issues will be resolved.

DroneB Dev said:
* photo 6 (keyboard closeup)
gorgeous photo, injection looks good, maybe need some reworking to led light pipe area, best pic of all no visible mechanical or cosmetic issues also lower part (partially visible) seems pretty good on visible areas.
Recomendations: clean it up assemble and get it sent to a DEV ASAP.
I don't like the look of those uneven "bumps" around the game controls, they are also noticeable around the key holes but less "in your face". Might just bee from the sample process but I really find these to be cosmetic issues.

Looking at every little detail on my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens) makes me wonder how had it can really be to get it that perfect. I can't find a single imperfection on it.

if you could get an assurance on the hinge section being done right? :rolleyes:

the hinge is the sticking point imo, all the other parts look reasonable (remember, we are seeing them zoomed up, they would look better in real life)

I just scrutinised the nearest 3 gadgets on my desk, and even the Aspire 1's oh so noticeable slick glossy lid has imperfections when you scrutinise it, there's a slight sink mark about an inch back left hand side, front corners are pulled down slightly (prolly cos so thin at edge), slight deformation near hinges etc.

Nokia 5300 has several issues, slightly misplaced ports, inconsistent edges, curved fascia etc

then I have a "millenium" chess and games handheld I bought on an impulse in the supermarket a few years back, I can't find a fault on it apart from a very slight sinking around one of the case screw holes on the back. :huh:

so my cheapest gadget has the "best" case, eh?

anything of the Pandoras spec is selling for about £500 atm, ie Nokia n900, so expecting Pandora to have a better (or even equivalent) case, is a bit of a stretch, nice if you can have it, but not compulsory.

now if we can just get a guarantee about the hinge.........

Storm in a glass of water if you ask me...

Can't it be that these cases are just sent to show that the requested changes on the rev2 case have been done (tighter screw holes etc.) and that they just pooped out a couple real quick and dirty to show Mweston just that without spending any effort on the cosmetics/finnish or any other stuff?

If everything fits, the moulds are fine and I'm pretty confident that this will not be the quality that the Chinese company intends to send out.... I mean... They have big clients and they're not retards.

I am trying to remain optimistic. I recall the factory stating that they were fixing these 100% and Michael would be very pleased with the results, I can't imagine a scenario where you would confidently say that but deliver cracked, greasy cases

I haven't seen anything on this, but why was the chinese company paid in full to begin with? Was that the only way they would do it? That should have been a warning right there.

Has anyone ever worked in the construction industry? If you pay a builder before the job is done, he and his crew move on the the next gig, and finish up your job in there free time. That is just how it works. And quality isnt a top priority.

If you look at all the 3 rev cases, it doesn't give you the impression the 4th or even ..th wil be ok.

Drastic measures needed?

maybe it's a case of

Boss: take that box of rejects and dump em, send that box to Mweston

2 days pass

Boss: I thought I told you to send those cases

Worker: those are the rejects, right?, I sent the cases.

Boss: oh #@#*@!

Computer: you have (incensed) Mail

:D

hobbyman II said:
maybe it's a case of

2 days pass

lol babelfish:

上司: 採取那個箱子廢棄物,並且轉儲,寄发那個箱子到Mweston 2天通行證
上司: 我認為我告诉您送那些案件
工作者: 那些是廢棄物,权利?我送了案件。
上司: 哦 #@#*@!
計算機: 您有(被激怒的)郵件

kin said:
hobbyman II said:
maybe it's a case of

2 days pass

lol babelfish:

上司: 採取那個箱子廢棄物,並且轉儲,寄发那個箱子到Mweston 2天通行證
上司: 我認為我告诉您送那些案件
工作者: 那些是廢棄物,权利?我送了案件。
上司: 哦 #@#*@!
計算機: 您有(被激怒的)郵件

This is getting slightly offtopic, but according to Google translate (which does a better job than Babelmouth IMO)
Boss: Take that box of waste, and dump, send that box to Mweston 2 Tian Pass
Boss: I think I told you to send those cases
Workers: those are waste, right? I had taken the case.
Boss: Oh #@#*@!
Computer: You have (provocation) E-mail

There's lots of theories as to what's goin' on. As of this writing, it's still 8:34pm Sunday (CST) - Time in China
This then begs the questions that have already been asked.

hobbyman II said:
if you could get an assurance on the hinge section being done right?
hobbyman II said:
now if we can just get a guarantee about the hinge.........

ROFL_MAO

For me this time ,and i'm speaking seriously , someone of the OP team ,plus someone who know about plastic moulds , should go flight to factory in china...
Almost for one day or 2 enough to see the starting process of the molds and certify the good manufactoring.

Back