A Plea To Gp32x Posters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trevor,

I have been responsible for ranting at people but it has not been because they ask a valid question. It was been clearly and purely because of allegations made against Craig and the team's reputation. Something I think you will agree it totally unacceptable.

Anyone asks a question I will help (gladly). Someone asks the same thing 1000 times over, I'm afraid I might be slight saracastic (but will still help). Someone accuses Craig and any of the devs of criminal activity (ie scamming, lying etc) and Im sorry I will not sit around and be part of lambasing people with impecable reps, who are working late and struggling for us ... hence my total disregars for the two people this afternoon.

I coined the phrase . If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen and I stand by it ... I appreciate £200 is a LOT for certain people, but then you really should not be buying a luxory item. Or if you deem it a necessary item, then you have to roll with the rollercoaster ride we are on ...

I also struggle to come to terms with people demanding this is the way things should be done etc ... I'm grateful Craig and the boys had the cohonas t do this and to invite us on this ride. But lets be clear they get to drive not us, and the kids in the back shouting "Are we nearly there yet ... " need to grow up fast.

Am I just a troublestirrer, quite the opposite. I phoned Jacky to day and offered help in terms of investment, construction and anything fOR nothing. Am a hero? NO and I a zero? (Hopefully not).

peace out ..

I certainly appreciate chip.

And I agree with what Trevor said a while back about different personalities and such (I WILL learn how to quote one of these days). I think some people are just naturally more nervous about projects and incidents like this reordering thing than others, and also some people are more laid back/shouty/likely to spontaneously combust than others.

I think it's this coupled with the lack of stuff to talk about (NOT the devs fault, if anyone wants to blame anyone, I suppose blame the LCD suppliers) is whats causing the impatient posts from both parties. From the one side getting angry about the lack of questions being answered and from the other side getting angry about the amount of questions to be answered.

Just gotta ride it out I suppose. Topics like this one aren't going to get through to everyone, so I think these impatient (is it inpatient or impatient?) posts will continue. One think I certainly don't think will help is more modding, I think Chip is doing just about the right amount. To much more will spark more angry posts.

VRAndy said:
Trevor Bradley said:
I would very much love to break out of the cycle of: ask legitimate question, stupid flame responses, official response comes, thread is closed without opportunity for follow up
You missed out the step where the same legitimate question is asked several times over the course of the day, long before it scrolls off the front page.

Frankly, I don't understand how that could be taken as anything other than rude.

Like someone else said above, you've just got to accept a certain amount of rudeness on the Internet, but still.

If it is rude, I think the grand portion of it is unintentional. It's a consequence of a rapidly growing forum where people are trying to learn about the product. People asking questions should always, ALWAYS be considered a good thing, especially if it means the newbies get hooked and want to get another Pandora. More Pandora sales = More Pandora interest = More Pandora developers = More Pandora Software.

Yes, it's annoying, and I understand we don't share opinions on the matter. At the very least we shouldn't reply to rude with more rude.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
I also struggle to come to terms with people demanding this is the way things should be done etc ... I'm grateful Craig and the boys had the cohonas t do this and to invite us on this ride. But lets be clear they get to drive not us, and the kids in the back shouting "Are we nearly there yet ... " need to grow up fast.
I'm grateful for anyone who has the patience to help out newbies even if they ask the same questions over and over. Thank you.

I think a portion of the community has not come to accept that the open-source Pandora hardware has "closed-source" manufacturing and delivery process. Craig and company has chosen not to expose the full monty of manufacturing details, banking hassles, etc. We still get a hell of a lot more information than we would out of a company like Nintendo or Sony.

I know I've been guilty of this, expecting to get more information out the "open-source" handheld during development. It's not the way I would run this project, but I am not running the project and I don't get to call the way things should be done. I need to segregate my (legitimate) sense of ownership over the eventual Pandora software development from my absolute helplessness over the manufacturing process.

Things truly will rock when we get Pandoras in our hands and the open-source era of this project begins.

On the topic of requesting videos of a full-up Pandora prototype :
Trevor Bradley said:
I mean "request" [...] in the sense that it's something I'd like eventually... Think of it as putting a request in a queue.

Fair enough. I'm right with you on that one.

I know I'm replying to every post in here and that I'm damned verbose... Bear with me folks... :)

Bramrash said:
Just gotta ride it out I suppose. Topics like this one aren't going to get through to everyone, so I think these impatient (is it inpatient or impatient?) posts will continue. One think I certainly don't think will help is more modding, I think Chip is doing just about the right amount. To much more will spark more angry posts.
I hope this thread gets through to some and that we take a different philosophical approach to these posts.

Chip's about at the borderline... we're starting to see people starting new threads when they've felt that they've not been answered. *I've* done this and gotten slapped down by Chip, and I can tell you it was exceptionally frustrating. I've had a few days to think about it and come to the conclusion that if we can't change the information flow, we can at least change the environment.

I *want* to keep coming here and still talk legitimately about the Pandora, which is why I started this thread. If we can think of a different way to construct this community, to treat each other a bit differently, we might get back to a time where none of our community members were afraid to post for fear of not being heard or ridiculed for their questions, and where the volume of the repetative, unanswerable questions could be drastically reduced.

It's "impatient" by the way. :)

Trevor, you have made many points and most of us would agree that it is always better to be polite.

But...

You are not the moral adjudicator here. Trying to keep a forum pleasant is not your job. We can debate it and maybe yes-some people may reconsider their attitude in posting. And we can have a collective conscience that aids this goal. But threads posted are threads posted and they all add up! So this is just as trolly as another nothing thread about the pandora...

The thing is we are all fed up by the delays and problems. We are all fed up with constant pointless new threads that duplicate old ones. We would LOVE it if other posters were as good as us. But that is not just for the internet-it's for the world. I don't go into the pub and address all the strangers I see that they should be better people, or people like me.

Your posting has irked me.

And to all the posters who enjoy speculating how horrible this forum could become if the Pandora becomes super successful then sorry we will have to see! We want the pandora to sell big time. And as the longer time members will tell you, these comments have been made time and time again. It's still one of the friendliest forums I know!

But if another newbie comes here and opens a new thread, let the wolves have him or her. They'll learn. And let the mods do their jobs. I think at the moment they are doing well, Chip in particular is not just keeping control but taking the time to inform.

And as for Trooper...would!

The whole discussion under THIS topic is just as pointless as the OTHER topics critized inhere.
While posting ideas and thoughts about a product in the making before ordering made alot of sense, the whole impatient worrying now is utterly useless. In many cases posting here seems to have turned into some sort of compulsive act. Relax and do something else until your Pandora arrives! You can't change anything anyway and the devs are doing their best.

lubidog said:
You are not the moral adjudicator here.
That is correct. I'm not demanding people behave in a certain fashion. I am making a plea suggesting people behave in a different way so that collectively we can have a better result. I can not force people to change their ways, I merely hope to suggest a different way, and allow people to discuss it and make up their own minds.

I apologize if my post irked you. My intention is to find a middle ground for everyone and make the forum community experience better for both of us, and for everyone else here. I know it's not necessarily going to be agreed upon by everyone here, and if the premise of the post is annoying, I invite you to ignore it in the future.

I'm personally glad for the discussion, it's informed me about the community and made me think about things I hadn't before. I feel more connected to the community because of it. I'm glad that the post appears to have been helpful for others here as well.

Peace.

all this peace and good will (where is the vomit icon when you need it) :)

I think what we all need to remember is that everyone on this forum is human, and everyone of us has a different way of dealing with things. Some people think that the right thing to do is beat down a person that makes a mistake, and some people think it is right to calmly tell them their mistake and guide them not to make the same mistake again.

Everyone's brain functions differently, and we have to accept it. We all have different tolerance levels, and some of us have completely lost it from this Pandemonium.

Some people are going to agree with Trevor, and some wont. There is no way to change their mind and we are going to have to accept it.

Everyone's brain functions differently
Mine doesn't!

This is generally a good, friendly and helpful forum. People do react badly occasionally, some react badly more often or more quickly. People learn - the idea is people do basic research first and then the responses are usually positive.

But one thing is really bugging me. You all keep saying "Chip is moderating", "Chip is this", "Chip is that". How do we know? Where is the proof? There are no photos of Chip moderating. There are certainly no videos of Chip moderating. And we definately haven't heard the sound chip working yet. I think it's all a sham. I'm not saying I want photos today, or this week. But it would stop a lot of useless threads being opening if we could just see a video, with sound, and popcorn, of the real life Chip moderating the hell out of troll.

That's all I'm going to say. You all know the truth.

TaG said:
This is generally a good, friendly and helpful forum. People do react badly occasionally, some react badly more often or more quickly. People learn - the idea is people do basic research first and then the responses are usually positive.

But one thing is really bugging me. You all keep saying "Chip is moderating", "Chip is this", "Chip is that". How do we know? Where is the proof? There are no photos of Chip moderating. There are certainly no videos of Chip moderating. And we definately haven't heard the sound chip working yet. I think it's all a sham. I'm not saying I want photos today, or this week. But it would stop a lot of useless threads being opening if we could just see a video, with sound, and popcorn, of the real life Chip moderating the hell out of troll.

That's all I'm going to say. You all know the truth.
:lol:

+1 on being irked. My compulsive rubbernecking has just cost me another 10 minutes of my life, I could have done something useful in that time...like cut my toe nails. Oh the sarcasm! I think most people know what etiquette is, some people just choose not to use it, so they get put down and rightly so, writing an essay isn't going to change anyones' behavior.

@TaG :lol:

LOL @ TaG. Thanks buddy, this thread was getting all too serious for me.

you can ignore/flame the noob (me) if you want. Ive been at the internet for a while now so I'm used to it.
I really think this community is a LOT better than most gaming communities as mentioned before, especially the Japanese one. Most of the time, Japanese gaming forums are filled with "die noob" or "jump off a bridge." I do agree that both sides are at fault here. I actually find no reason to post questions because most of the questions are asked and have been answered many times, but that's because I'm generally a patient person. Many people have different tolerance levels, so there are bound to be extremes on both ends. I'm sure this community will cool down by the time people get there pandoras. I really don't think it is possible for the community to really spin out of control.

Anyway, I want to take this opportunity to thank those who have answered the questions in the past, even though I haven't asked any because they seem to have a great deal of patience amidst all this chaos, which is something difficult to do.

btw :lol: TaG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back