A Question - Stupid One

Still Fresh
i don't know very much about linux. been a windows user since i've been using a computer..and that is a long time

i am planning in buying a pandora.. and a usb modem. all the modems i found are compatible with mac and windows only
i am searching ...still.

so, is it enough to try searching for "a Linux compatible "usb modem.. or the linux that is on pandora is "different"?

What sort of USB modem do you mean? Off of the top of my head, I can actually think of at least three or four types. :p

If you don't mind me taking a shot in the dark, do you mean a USB cellular modem? If so, the Huawei E220 is known for working nicely with Linux. However, that may not be any guarantee of it working with the Pandora out-of-the-box - I would hold off and wait until there is a bit more information on this, prior to purchasing anything.

For wi-fi? a wi-fi dongle?

you don't need anything to get on the net with a Pandora it is built in.

scrag_10 said:
For wi-fi? a wi-fi dongle?

you don't need anything to get on the net with a Pandora it is built in.
i know pandora has wi-fi, and i have a wireles router at home..some that is not the problem.
the problem is that i want to have internet on the pandora anywhere i go.

LE: i found the huawei e220 at a mobile carrier in my country... but it says it is compatible with mac and windows .. it doesn't say "only" thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
thebrainwasher said:
i don't know very much about linux. been a windows user since i've been using a computer..and that is a long time

i am planning in buying a pandora.. and a usb modem. all the modems i found are compatible with mac and windows only
i am searching ...still.
so, is it enough to try searching for "a Linux compatible "usb modem.. or the linux that is on pandora is "different"?

A lot of times even when something works with Linux the company that makes it won't advertise that their product works with Linux because they don't want to have to write drivers and do tech support.

This is, of course, a pain for Linux users who are forced to either "just know" or check compatibility lists before every purchase. (http://www.linuxcompatible.org/ for example.)

However, with the Pandora there's a whole new level of uncertainty because of the ARM cpu instead of the x86 intel-compatible CPU. I strongly recommend waiting until people have their Pandora's in hand before buying a modem. People may be in a better position to help you then. (For instance, a driver may need to be ported. )

You can almost certainly make this work, but you want to make it work without buying a dozen modems before you find one that works, so best to be patient.

thebrainwasher said:

i am searching ...still.

Probably the easiest solution is once you've got a Pandora, take it to a mobile phone shop (assuming they sell the USB broadband dongles there) and ask them if they've got a display model you can test in the shop with your laptop before you purchase

probably best not specify what your laptop is, since they're probably likely to take one look and say "What? No, it won't work on a Nintendo DS!" :D

If they refuse to let you test one, then tell them you'll take your custom elsewhere, and try a different shop.

Either that, or just wait a few days - I'm sure people will be trying out all these things as soon as they get their hardware!

The wiki already has a pandora compatability list, as soon as the pandoras are out there, you will only have to check that

It realy depends on what kind of modem you are talking about.

If you mean a dialup modem then your choices are very limited as most (all) of those are so kalled "winmodems" which are quite hard to get to work on linux.

But if youre talking about a umts usb stick then your chances are much better, i know that for example the ones that t-mobile sells over here (web'n'walk stick 2/3) work just fine with linux.

A friend of mine has a laptop with Debian on it and he uses a cell-network modem. Windows needs the drivers before it'll work, but all he has to do is plug it in and it connects. He never got anything specific for it to run so I'm making the assumption that they operate on a standard protocol that just comes with a standard kernel.
But it's just an educated assumption.

Back