A Really Cool Way To Have A Lot Of Storage Without Memory Cards...

jakshep2

Website
Visit site
Step 1:
Get an external harddrive, of whatever capacity you choose.
Step 2:
Get a wireless USB connector, if one exists... if not, use a normal USB cable
Step 3:
If a wireless USB cable does exist, it means you can enjoy gigabytes of storage in the home or garden. up to 1TB of storage, and no memory cards!

I like it.... quite simple, but hadn't thought of it!
I havn't heard about any wireless usb 'leads' though.

I gonna be using it around the house quite a bit too...

Kings said:
You might want to power the external harddrive.
the larger ones (500GB+) usually come with an AC adaptor because of thier physical size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just use the wireless connection to a network and use a PC to share out the space vis NFS/Samba?
Thats what i plan to do. Then you dont have to worry about cables, harddrives. additonal battery sources for the harddrive.
Also I have read about the USB wireless standard, but have to see anything come from it.

jakshep2 said:
Step 1:
Get an external harddrive, of whatever capacity you choose.
Step 2:
Get a wireless USB connector, if one exists... if not, use a normal USB cable
Step 3:
If a wireless USB cable does exist, it means you can enjoy gigabytes of storage in the home or garden. up to 1TB of storage, and no memory cards!
This reminds me of that South Park episode that later spawned a meme:
Phase 1: Collect underwear
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!

Using Samba or something to access your computer (Or network drive) makes way more sense than having a big reciever hanging off the pandora. And the second option you presented, using a cable... Well, I hate to break it to you, but people have already thought of doing that.

What I plan on doing is gutting a 160gb ipod classic for the hard disk, then mounting it on the bottom of the pandora in a custom wing grip case.

mindlord said:
I plan on using SSHFS over WAN to access my music and files from anywhere that there is a wireless connection, home or abroad.

Same here. Encrypted, compressed data connection is as good as it'll get for me. :)

Actually my solution with the GP2X is just to use my 20gb MP3 player (an old H120 with RockBox). Since it's designed to be carried, it's self-powered, and since it shows up as a regular old USB device, just plug into the old GP2X usb dock and go to town--carried as many games or movies as I could deal with on an international flight, and the AA batteries meant I could just swap them out and keep going--a real godsend on the trip!

(I will sorta miss the AA battery thing, short life notwithstanding. Plentiful spares were a wonderful thing).

WPA2 ....PFFT! (regular computers can brake it ) like that is secure... you should want to use ssh for your connection much better security also i don't think samba is too secure either whereas nfs is a little better not sure about that though

as far as that goes GSM has been cracked too.... by some determined people mind you with cash ...(the used a cluster of FPGAs and a massive multi TB hash table) look it up on hackaday.com

heh if i ever get up the money for a pandora and ssd mounted to the bottom might work ... but then i would have to save up for it too LOL

cb88 said:
WPA2 ....PFFT! (regular computers can brake it ) like that is secure...
It is pretty secure - the only way to crack it (that I know of) involves a dictionary attack, so if you use a long, random passphrase and SSID it should be effectively bulletproof. Of course, if you use any common (or uncommon) words or permutations thereof - well, there are plenty of available wordlists to feed to John. ;)

I'm not aware of any valnerability for WPA2. Maybe you're thinking of WPA, and that's only after some serious traffic collection.

If you're afraid that you're incapable or creative enough to create a complex password, you can pregenerate the raw key. you'll be atleast as safe as SSH.

samba is just a linux implementation of the network protocol (SMB) used in windows. Lots of devices use it to communiate with windows boxes such as the GP2X and probably the Pandora.

But none of this matters because you're using WPA2 which is everything but ueber-idiot proof. (on second thoughts, maybe you shouldn't use WPA2)

icurafu said:
I'm not aware of any valnerability for WPA2. Maybe you're thinking of WPA, and that's only after some serious traffic collection.
I was indeed thinking of WPA - but it doesn't require any traffic collection, you just need to capture the handshake that occurs when a client connects. so, use aireplay to kick someone off the network and airodump the reconnection...assuming I understand it right?

That's close. I'm not sure how that would work and if that is a working method, I've never heard of it being done.

The common method for WPA, from what I remember from classes is by snooping the traffic and gathering information on the key due to a vulnerability in wep and wpa. The problem is, unless the user is torrenting, you'll never get enough traffic.

So there are some great traffic generating tools out there. aireplay; one of the tools that you mention, is a packet injector used to generate traffic and allow aircrack to get the key.

In truth, I've never used this tool before. I used another tool, but this seems to do the same thing.

icurafu said:
The common method for WPA, from what I remember from classes is by snooping the traffic and gathering information on the key due to a vulnerability in wep and wpa. The problem is, unless the user is torrenting, you'll never get enough traffic.
This is true for WEP, but not WPA. With WEP, the key is concatenated to the IVs and transmitted with every packet (I don't claim to completely understand this, because I know little about networking) so you can easily crack it given enough traffic. For WPA, only a hash of the key is transmitted, except during the initial handshake, in which an encrypted copy of the key generated from the SSID and a passphrase is transmitted. So it's possible to deauthorise one of the currently connected clients (e. g. with aireplay) and, when they reconnect, get the transmitted key, and run a dictionary attack on that recovered encrypted key. At least, that's what I understand; please correct me if I've gotten the details wrong.

icurafu said:
That sounds logical. I wonder why you were run the dictionary attack on the encrypted password rather than the hash, which is how brute force attacks are normally done. Maybe it's a hash of a session key.
It probably is run on the hash, if that would make more sense. I've never actually done this, I just read about it a long time ago.

edit: indeed, it rotates the key on a per-packet basis, and transmits the hash, not an encrypted key, during the handshake. Sorry.

I saw this a while ago, but misunderstood. The demonstration was showing that it took a minute on this guys laptop instead of weeks. But I didn't remember the brute force part.

I thought they were determining the key from a protocal vulnerability, but I must have missed the segway from WEP to WPK.

Thanks for the info, very interesting. :)

Back