Using Flash Usb??

bacteria

Modder & Portablizer
Website
moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com
The 3rd option on the menus (games, etc) is now to load files from an external source. Does this mean if we connect the supplied USB cable to the GP2x, and connected a female>female USB connector to the end, we could connect a flash USB stick (I believe these are non powered?) to it and play games/films/(whatever) from the flash USB stick directly? This would be far more convenient, and cheaper, than using SD cards. It could (if it works ok) mean the only SD card needed is one to do firmware upgrades! Would the GP2x interpret the flash USB stick as an external source, or would it treat it as a USB connection to a computer usable only via the menus? (which would not work)?

Would this work (before I went and bought this adaptor I thought I would ask the Forum if the idea would work or not). You can buy flash USB drives easier, cheaper and larger in capacity; and they are more robust and easier to copy to than SD cards.

If I am wrong, what consititutes the aforementioned external storage option on the GP2x menu, and how would we use it?

Comments?

You're wrong there.

Basically, in a week or so a breakout box is going to be available. This will plug into the EXT port and give you USB Host (among other things), which you can then use to access your USB flashdisk from the EXT option.

The current USB port in the side of the unit only supports USB slave.

Back