Optical Drives With Breakout Board?

Jobblez

Still Fresh
Just wondering whether this was possible with the breakout board before I buy a GP2X.
Seeing that you can connect hdd's with external usb enclosures, can you also use cd/dvd drive's with external usb enclosures? This would make it the perfect mp3 player replacement for me as all mine are on cd's/dvd's.

Jobblez posted on Mar 5 2007 at 06:07 AM said:
Just wondering whether this was possible with the breakout board before I buy a GP2X.
Seeing that you can connect hdd's with external usb enclosures, can you also use cd/dvd drive's with external usb enclosures? This would make it the perfect mp3 player replacement for me as all mine are on cd's/dvd's.
I thought of that, but I did just buy a 15GB 1.8" HDD on ebay for $15, so HD is still the best media, it is much smaller and higher density. I suppose you could argue that you can carry a stack of DVD/CDs, but then why not a 100GB 2.5" or 3.5" HDD?

I only bring this up because portable DVDs are very expensive like $100 or so, and self-powered is more expensive.

I should try it though when my 2X comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering whether anyone has tried the yet smaller and more recent 0.8 hdd, do they still need external power? those things are so tiny (and also expensive :( )

Back