Breakout Board Setup


krazyandproud

Still Fresh
Joined
Apr 14, 2007
Messages
5
Ok, so, I've finally decided the GP2X is perfect for my little 'media/game' center in my room, and I've learned what the Breakout board does, but how do I set it up? (I have not ordered my Gp2X yet)

I am buying from www.gamersection.com and I want to buy everything I need in one go.
Are these the right supplies I need?
-gp2x
-tv-out cable
-Ac adapter cable (do I need one for gp2x and one for breakout board? this is one of the 'official' accessories for the GP2X)
-Breakout board
-40 Gb usb external hard drive
Anything else?

Finally, how do I set it up? I don't want to totally screw up my gp2x or anything like that. Also, I am a fairly big newb to how Gp2x's work so I would like a fairly simple answer. :p

Thanks a bunch in advance!
 

nubie

Recovering Jerk-A-Holic
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
2,749
Location
USA California
Website
Visit site
krazyandproud said:
Ok, so, I've finally decided the GP2X is perfect for my little 'media/game' center in my room, and I've learned what the Breakout board does, but how do I set it up? (I have not ordered my Gp2X yet)

I am buying from www.gamersection.com and I want to buy everything I need in one go.
Are these the right supplies I need?
-gp2x
-tv-out cable
-Ac adapter cable (do I need one for gp2x and one for breakout board? this is one of the 'official' accessories for the GP2X)
-Breakout board
-40 Gb usb external hard drive
Anything else?

Finally, how do I set it up? I don't want to totally screw up my gp2x or anything like that. Also, I am a fairly big newb to how Gp2x's work so I would like a fairly simple answer. :p

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Plug it in, don't set on a metal surface or pour water on it.

Turn on the USB options in the settings menu of the GP2X (the cryptic option "menu extension" needs to be on, then you will see all the USB options).

I don't think you need the TV-Out cable because that is something the BOB does for you. If you mean cords to connect the BoB to the TV, then yes a standard A/V S-Video cable is needed.

This is more common-sense type "can you hook up your TV" sort of a question, not really GP2X specific btw.

If you can plug in a VCR or a digital camera the GP2X shouldn't pose you any problems.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

krazyandproud

Still Fresh
Joined
Apr 14, 2007
Messages
5
nubie said:
krazyandproud said:
Ok, so, I've finally decided the GP2X is perfect for my little 'media/game' center in my room, and I've learned what the Breakout board does, but how do I set it up? (I have not ordered my Gp2X yet)

I am buying from www.gamersection.com and I want to buy everything I need in one go.
Are these the right supplies I need?
-gp2x
-tv-out cable
-Ac adapter cable (do I need one for gp2x and one for breakout board? this is one of the 'official' accessories for the GP2X)
-Breakout board
-40 Gb usb external hard drive
Anything else?

Finally, how do I set it up? I don't want to totally screw up my gp2x or anything like that. Also, I am a fairly big newb to how Gp2x's work so I would like a fairly simple answer. :p

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Plug it in, don't set on a metal surface or pour water on it.

Turn on the USB options in the settings menu of the GP2X (the cryptic option "menu extension" needs to be on, then you will see all the USB options).

I don't think you need the TV-Out cable because that is something the BOB does for you. If you mean cords to connect the BoB to the TV, then yes a standard A/V S-Video cable is needed.

This is more common-sense type "can you hook up your TV" sort of a question, not really GP2X specific btw.

If you can plug in a VCR or a digital camera the GP2X shouldn't pose you any problems.



Thankyou! The reason I was so confused is because I looked at some other breakout board-ish topics and some of the things they said confused me :D and I really didn't want to "brick" my gp2x.

Also, I noticed your signature. I would make my own USB port but I do not like modding things. I have screwed up many things in the past. So I won't venture there.

There was one other question I had: What do I need to power my BoB and gp2x? Could I use 2 of those ac adapters you can buy as gp2x "accessories?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

crusty

Still Fresh
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
64
Location
Barbados, West Indies
Website
Visit site
krazyandproud said:
There was one other question I had: What do I need to power my BoB and gp2x? Could I use 2 of those ac adapters you can buy as gp2x "accessories?
I have the Mk1 gp2x and I modded the developer BoB by soldering two wires to
the back of the power socket on the Bob. The other end has a plug to match the
gp2x power input. The standard 2.0 amp accessory ac adaptor will drive both.

This mght not apply for the new commercial Bob since there is reference to 5.0 volts
required and the original ac adaptor is 3.3 volts only.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

lemoncurdstevey

Still Fresh
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
22
* NOOB ALERT *

hey...
well then i've placed my order for my gp2x and i ordered the following : -
1 x GP2X
2 x 4 GB SD
1 x Ansmann & Charger
1 x 2X-Cradle
1 x Payback
1 x TV-Out (UK)

i ordered this little lot off of the main gp2x.co.uk site. rather stoopidly i ordered the 2 SD's... Just reading up on here about the BOB allowing the use of an external hard disc......... :blink: DOH!

anywho./ a question. can i use the charger i ordered with the bob?
oh and do i need the tv out if i have the bob? :)

appreciate all the help i can get. can't wait to get it up and running. thanks for your understanding.... :) peace out :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
T

TelcoLou

Guest
"can i use the charger i ordered with the bob?"

No, just for the batteries .. you need a 5V adaptor to power the Commercial BOB only for devices like an external HDD or other USB devices that draw a lot of power (I say this because you're getting a new GP2X, MKII .. if you only want to use USB joypads, you don't need the adapter)

"do i need the tv out if i have the bob?"

No, that's a simple TV-out only cable ... the BOB has an S-Video out jack .. you DO need an S-Video cable to plug into said jack and into your TV though ;)
 
Top