A Recent Presentation about the DragonBox Pyra

This is the part that does it for me, and makes me ready to want a Pyra...

A compatibility layer to run existing Pandora PNDs is planned to allow for the PND system to be kept.

Well, please don't confuse it with "It will run all Pandora programs".

It will be hard, and we've got no idea how much stuff will run directly out of the box.

It will be hard, and we've got no idea how much stuff will run directly out of the box.
And i suppouse that the applications will not take the Pyra "power" at it 100%, Am I right? Or maybe it will work like a normal PC where you can use the same software with another hardware?

The Pandora isn't built like an x86 PC, there aren't drivers to abstract away everything.  Granted there's SGL for 2D graphics and nubs and ALSA for sound, and there's the SGX driver which may or may not help (due to the backend being closed source), but if there was anything beyond the demo apps using the DSP, that capability changes on the Pyra's CPU, NEON may have changed (I've not checked) and plenty of peripherals will be different.  But I'm hopeful more will work than won't, and the handful of things that mightn't are from devs who are still around, so hopefully will get ported.

And i suppouse that the applications will not take the Pyra "power" at it 100%, Am I right? Or maybe it will work like a normal PC where you can use the same software with another hardware?
The Pandora stuff that does work, will work without any overhead -- it's not emulation.

The stuff that does not work will probably be just a recompile away from working.

Exceptions are things like Pandora System Info that have some very Pandora-specific stuff hardcoded. These will need to be adapted.

So if i decide to Play DS Games on the Pyra, via Pandoras Drastic Emulator, this means my Batterie will last much much longer than on the Pandora, because the Pyra runs for this Thask on "800 mhz" ??

Think the Compatiblity Layer will help the first Months, when the real Pyra Apps arent out..

So, i can put my Pandora in the Trawers of old interesting Handhelds (where my old DS, Gameboy and Gameboy Advance SP and Micro are allready (and the Covers of the PSX Games i bought for the Pandora))

I finally got around to watching this video.  It would be nice to go to one of these so I can take a look at everything personally, and see the stuff running from the dev board up close, instead of having a tiny picture that gets interrupted by a slide with a link to a website.  ED would hate me for asking questions, or I would keep him busy for hours after the talk.

Although this isn't important, how is "Pyra" pronounced?  

I say it like Pie-Rah, but ED was also saying it like Pier-ah, or something to that effect.

Is 2GB of RAM set in stone?

Will RAM be on the main board or CPU board?

Where will the adhesive for the keycaps be applied?  Will the adhesive used be durable enough to last for several years of abuse?

Based on current expectations, how will 3G influence the price of that version (will these be in the 500€ range, and if they are above it, how much)?

How many people were in the room?  Did anyone ask questions, or look at/mess with the Pyra stuff after the talk?

I try to spread the word, and some people are really interested.  Until I throw the 500€ price out there.

Two of our favoret Trolls: Serenty (Thrake) and June (Jochen)..
Ooooh... Serenity is Thrake?

Didn't know that. That explains a lot :D

So two out of the three ever banned forum members from the German boards... the third one was Paralax, and we're good friends ;)

Just a suggestion, i dotnt know if he is realy Serenety, but Thrake dit liked this Film, and some times after his bann, he came back as serenety, when i remember corektly..

Thangs God, i dit used to bee a Moderator after Thrake and Jochen dit banned, i dotnt know how to deal whit them..

I say it like Pie-Rah, but ED was also saying it like Pier-ah, or something to that effect.
I also pronounce it Pie-rah... I watched the presentation last night and for a second I was surprised to hear it pronounced pee-rah, but I think that ED's pronunciation will be common in most European countries...

Is 2GB of RAM set in stone?
Why is it too much? seriously, 2GBs on a lightweight ARM device is plenty.

Will RAM be on the main board or CPU board?
CPU Board

Where will the adhesive for the keycaps be applied? Will the adhesive used be durable enough to last for several years of abuse?
Most likely using a translucent adhesive on the under side of the keycaps applied to the rubber.. This type of keypad has been made for years, I'd think it would last.. also it's one of the easiest things to replace if it doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditnt Evildragon last yeahr said something about: "Panzwora"??

(Pandora and "zwoo" a diferent word for zwei 2 "twoo")

Somethimes i also say Pandora 2...

2 gb should be fine for the omap, also you ditnt would need it the whole time, just for big things like 2 psx emus + gimp or something..

I'm german but I also pronouncing Pyra like y in Spy. ED seems to prefer "Püra" which is also OK and sounds more greek. ^^

And to Germany:

http://www.golem.de/news/pyra-handheld-open-pandora-nachfolger-kommt-vielleicht-schon-2015-1407-108016.html

And our favourite Pandora-Troll left his comments there as well already :D
No good Golem article without them! :D (And the article is actualy pretty good imho).

I'm pretty sure I heard at least 2 different pronunciations of Pyra from ED during the presentation so maybe he was just covering all his bases. ;-)

- Neelix

Back