Release A SHoot 'eM UP for Pandora

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
Hi there,

Havent done a release since a while (over 2 years :eek: ), but as ptitSeb pretty much rock the porting business nowadays, I worked on my own first game so I was sure he wouldnt release my project before me  :lol: !

So here is shmuppan :
shmuppan1.png
shmuppan4.png

It feature :
- a simple bonus system with power bonus that even change your shooting style
- Moving clouds
- but no physics engine
- C4A support (requiere a working c4a profile)
- may contain some trace of scoring competition
- 7 differents ennemy types including 2 boss and asteroids
- but no pathfinding nor walls
- a high quality rendering engine
- but no 3d
- 11 differents awesome mod (just listen to them ! .... well also dodge the bullets or you wont be able to listen to the next one :D )
- some explosions
- 10 levels
- and ending
- and some more !!!

Building it have been a learning lesson I might talk about later on. @_wb_: licence is not yet decided.

Get your "I want to kill them now" fix at the usual repo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah!

Let's have some C4A competition (ok, I'll put Alexandre to that :p ).

Good job, and a very nice game !

Let's have some C4A competition (ok, I'll put Alexandre to that :p ).
Luckyly his scores from the beta cant be uploaded, so it will as fair as possible :p

You can use my shmups musics if you want, as long as i keep the rights.

http://slackware.openpandora.org/music/index.php?dir=audio%2F2010

Those are still in progress :

http://slackware.openpandora.org/music/index.php?dir=audio%2F2013
I do have all the music I want. thanks though :)

Fun playing around, great : D

How about better text contrast (dark on dark is... urgh), and ability to change music/sfx volume?

Great work Sebt3!

Could you make the menu entry for the desktop Capitalised, please?

Could we have a Music/FX volume control?

More as I think of it ;)

Congrats on completing your SECOND game.

Need to try this :)

Nice release, even CCF approves on the repo, which is a feat!

Don't know why you're including your own libopenal, yours is both slower and older than the one in firmware. If you want to support old firmwares, I suggest you include one from current firmware.

I wonder what's doing crazy amount of memcpy'ing in your game. Could just be the SGX driver though.

Awesome feedback everyone :)

Nice release,
even CCF approves on the repo, which is a feat!
Yes, that made my day :) (I do have a score of bad comments from him like everyone, so this positive one have value)
Don't know why you're including your own libopenal, yours is both slower and older than the one in firmware. If you want to support old firmwares, I suggest you include one from current firmware.
Maybe because I haven't closely look at what you added to the firmware over the years. Initially there were no openal (so my toolchain dont provide it) ;) I'll remove my openal build from next release :)

I wonder what's doing crazy amount of memcpy'ing in your game. Could just be the SGX driver though.
My code runtime dont memcpy at all (well I do ton's of memcpy before 1st frame though), so it's either the SGX driver, modplug or Eina's list management implementation (the later sound doubtfull).I haven't checked much, but I know for sure that adding music support grew my CPU usage by about 500%. I'll profile that, thanks for noticing :)

One thing that got me, when entering my name, I selected my letter and pressed B (which I've been using as the fire button), and it "submitted" me without a name. As there is an "End" option in the keyboard area, could you make {B} select the letter?

Also, I find the black text quite hard to read on the alpha'd black panels. Could you maybe make them a light grey and turn them black when they have the white background?

Great work though!

Haven't played it (yet!!) but wanted to jump on and say 'nice one'! Takes a whole lot of effort (and then some) to get a finished project together, I am looking forwards to giving it a go!

Pretty good game. I dont know how I feel about being called "Loser" when i get killed. Also the K in the font looks almost exactly like an H.

Second try got me through all levels with 101137 points yaay! I am a bad shmup player so maybe that means the game is too easy.

Would it be more fun if the gun overheated so you couldn't keep firing all the time?

Saw a few people commenting.. seems like good ideas to consider..

- shot speed limiter of some sort .. overheat mechanic if you fire 5 shots in quick succession, say

... or something like a quick shot does 1mdg, but a slightly held shot does 3, to encourage slightly slower shooting

- score multiplier for chains of hits without misses (encourage accuracy for greater score, for c4a sake)

Really nice release :)

jeff

One thing that got me, when entering my name, I selected my letter and pressed B (which I've been using as the fire button), and it "submitted" me without a name. As there is an "End" option in the keyboard area, could you make {B} select the letter?
You mean just move to that instead of applying ?
Also, I find the black text quite hard to read on the alpha'd black panels. Could you maybe make them a light grey and turn them black when they have the white background?
For some odd and non obvious reasons, I would realy prefer theses words / letters to stay the same color. I could go for a dark cursor and white text though.

Pretty good game. I dont know how I feel about being called "Loser" when i get killed.
Do you mean that's offensive ?
klapse (on the repo) said:
Great game for a 1st or second effort! I made it all the way through on the second try and I am not good at shmups, so it is a little bit easy, I think.
That's what I expected. The game isnt meant to be hard but fun for score competitions (aka c4a).I'm very surprised that a few didnt crossed the 50k score line just yet...

klapse (on the repo) said:
I might enjoy it more if one couldnt fire constantly (gun overheating effect, or limited shots). Also I would like to see more enemy patterns.
Saw a few people commenting.. seems like good ideas to consider..

- shot speed limiter of some sort .. overheat mechanic if you fire 5 shots in quick succession, say

... or something like a quick shot does 1mdg, but a slightly held shot does 3, to encourage slightly slower shooting

- score multiplier for chains of hits without misses (encourage accuracy for greater score, for c4a sake)
There's actually some mechanism in that way in the game albeit I forget to explain theses little rules and it's way more subtle ;)
There is a score multiplier if you kill enemy close one to the other. But killing the enemies when they enter the scene isnt good either for score as you wont see enemies batches where they are close enough until level 8.

The only way to grow your score is to let the enemies enter the scene and then rush them to build the score multiplier... If you had enough enemies on screen and did it well you'll get an ingame bonus too.

I for one trigger 5 bonus on first level ;)

You mean just move to that instead of applying ?
Well, if use the d-pad to move to the letter (rather than the keyboard) - how do I select the character to put it in my name? I pressed {B} (or any other game button) and rather than spelling my name, it ends the name entry.
Don't know if I'm explaining this well.

For some odd and non obvious reasons, I would realy prefer theses words / letters to stay the same color. I could go for a dark cursor and white text though.
Okay, if you like it like that, that's fine :)

Good game, very easy though.. Completed it first go..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
At first I thought it was too easy also but as sebt3 just explained, the challenge is to increase your score by firing on formations only after they have appeared on screen.

Back