A Short List Of Simple Questions

irockyou

Still Fresh
I am wondering if Pandora will be able to do the following:

1) Run openoffice.org software, or some other combination of a text editor/spreadsheet maker.
2) Run GIMP
3) Run Wine. If not Wine, then some other program that can run .exe files.
4) Ability to replace the OS with a different Linux distro (such as ubuntu or fedora).
5) Run Firefox.

Thank you for the info!

1.) Maybe
2.) Maybe
3.) Probably Not
4.) Probably Not
5.) Probably

OpenPandora.org is the Main Info site. Go read what Pandora is and then ask questions.

And the FAQ. And the Wiki. Most questions are answered there, makes easier for you and for us :)

Megamixman said:
1.) Maybe
2.) Maybe
3.) Probably Not
4.) Probably Not
5.) Probably

OpenPandora.org is the Main Info site. Go read what Pandora is and then ask questions.
3. Yes, not wine, dosbox. (Not windows exe's, dos ones.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Megamixman said:
1.) Maybe
2.) Maybe
3.) Probably Not
4.) Probably Not
5.) Probably
I think you're being a little too pessimistic.

1) Almost definitely. Maybe not OOo specifically, but something with similar capabilities for sure.
2) Same as above.
3) Definitely not Wine (it only works on x86 systems), but DOSBox will allow you to run older DOS programs.
4) The ability is certainly there, it's just a matter of somebody doing the port. Chances are good you'll see Ubuntu at some point.
5) If not Firefox itself, some similarly capable browser will ship with Pandora.

Follow the link in my sig to the FAQ for more answers.

For #3:
No wine, as stated above, but beyond Dosbox, some very slow functionality with windows executables through qemu emulating x86 running windows or reactos. I mean really, really, unbearably slow. But theoretically possible. (There is an ARM port of qemu, as far as I know.)

1) OOo, probably not. But something like it - likely, but not out of the box.
2) Probably not. Tux Paint - soon. (It runs on N800.)
3) No.
4) Yes. but not like installing desktop linux onto a PC from a CD.
5) Yes. The hardware has already run Firefox 3.

There's no reason the GIMP shouldn't run. It may not run well, but I would think it would almost certainly be ported eventually.

I hope it works with Firefox; in fact, it better SHIP with Firefox! :D

I must say, an OpenOffice and GIMP port would be awesome! As much as I love my EEEPC, it's still just a tad too big to carry absolutely everywhere with me. If the Pandora sprung up with these two key programs, it would be my EVERYTHING device! I know OO and GIMP are free, but are each of them open source? It would be a godsend for someone to start working on a port.

CronoTriggerfan said:
I know OO and GIMP are free, but are each of them open source?
Yup both of them are open source, hence the name Open Office :) . A port is possible, it's just findong someone to do it.

For question 3:

WINE is for x86 architecture only, but it might be possible run win32 binaries using QEmu + WINE:
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC1

Using QEmu in user mode you should be able to run an x86 linux distro (with WINE) in Pandora, so you could run WINE in ARM architecture. Note that QEmu in user mode doesn't act as a "full emulator", so there shouldn't be a big performance hit. We'll only be sure if this is possible when we try it.

If you use qemu, why not just run the x86 binaries on the emulated x86? Throw ReactOS on the qemu'd x86, and you're good to go.

Back