A Simple, Gui Game Creator?

On my Mac, the demos installed at /Developer/Python/pygame/Examples/ so if you're on a Mac look there. If you're on Windows, look at the directory where you unpacked the files, or just do a file search for aliens.py and the directory that that's in should have others.

Jourdy288 said:
I don't even know how to get PyGame to work, I brought up the Python IDLE, but... I installed PyGame, what do I open?

You seem to be misunderstanding what PyGame is. It's not a program that assists in development. It's a Python library that provides functions that make game development easier. You're still going to need to learn Python (and then learn PyGame).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jourdy288 said:
Ah, thank you. What is it, exactly, that I load?
Open Python IDLE (Integrated DeveLopment Environment). Don't expect to create a game with the mouse however, you need to do some typing and know the Python language.

Samurai_Crow said:
Shaun. said:
Hi. I've never down any programming before (so I'm not sure if I know what im talking about) but I remember mentioning this program called Platinum arts sandbox 3d game maker in another topic asking if it would be good for the Pandora. I was informed that it was possible to port since its open source and used the cube 2 engine but it would be quite hard. Its suppose to be so easy to program that it was developed for children. Link: http://sandboxgamemaker.com/
Anyways I was looking around and came across this other game maker called Antiryad Gx. It gives me a list of platforms but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, so can someonne check this list out. These platforms include AmigaOs v3.0 (68020) with Ecs and Aga graphics processors.

-snip-

Link:http://www.arkham-development.com/html/wordpress/?page_id=40

What you should be looking for is compatibility with ARM Linux with OpenGL ES 2.0 for graphics APIs. x86 Linux won't cut it with the Pandora.
We
If you want to learn to program, I'd suggest looking at Python and PySFML. You can find Python at http://www.python.org/ and PySFML at http://www.sfml-dev.org/ . SFML is a new alternative to PyGame and it will use OpenGL hardware acceleration. There is an OpenGL ES port of SFML in the works also.
Thanks for the tip on how I should learn how to program. I just have a few questions that will probaly seem really nooby. Well I've been looking at tutorials on how to make simple programs and whenever they run a program, its always on a text line and what I want to know is how to make it graphical. Also once you've created a program, how do you make it run without the Python program or make it run on other operating systems. Thank you in advance

Shaun. said:
Thanks for the tip on how I should learn how to program. I just have a few questions that will probaly seem really nooby. Well I've been looking at tutorials on how to make simple programs and whenever they run a program, its always on a text line and what I want to know is how to make it graphical. Also once you've created a program, how do you make it run without the Python program or make it run on other operating systems. Thank you in advance

Python by itself is not graphical. If you want to do something graphical do some of the PyGame tutorials.

You can use PY2EXE to "freeze" python scripts on Windows into EXE's, but on other systems, python is almost always built in, and doesn't need to be converted to be able to run without installing the Python core. Just give people your .py files and any resources it needs and it should just run. If you really want to freeze a Python script on Linux, here's how.

mindlord said:
Shaun. said:

Python by itself is not graphical. If you want to do something graphical do some of the PyGame tutorials.

You can use PY2EXE to "freeze" python scripts on Windows into EXE's, but on other systems, python is almost always built in, and doesn't need to be converted to be able to run without installing the Python core. Just give people your .py files and any resources it needs and it should just run. If you really want to freeze a Python script on Linux, here's how.
Thanks for your answer. So does this mean when I develop a game (when I'm finally skilled enough), it will not need any conversion to work on the Pandora? If so does this so this mean we are able to use any game developed with python.

Shaun. said:
Thanks for your answer. So does this mean when I develop a game (when I'm finally skilled enough), it will not need any conversion to work on the Pandora? If so does this so this mean we are able to use any game developed with python.

Correct. For your purposes, any game you write should just run on the Pandora. There are going to be some exceptions to the "any game developed with python" clause. As long as it doesn't import anything funny, or link to a C library that isn't available. Any python script should run on the Pandora.

Eventually, you will be able to package everything up nicely in a .PND package and the Pandora will recognize it and put an icon for your game on the user's menu. I don't know the specifics for how this is done, but I'm sure there will be some documentation around the time the Pandora is released.

OK, thank you. I just want you to know I'm not particularly lazy, it's just that I'm very[sup]busy[/sup] ATM and can't quite pick up a programming language. That is why I seek the GUI.

That looks like nothing. There are no download links, there's one post on the forums by one guy, who replied to himself. Some random dude just joined these forums to tell you that. Seems kinda sketchy to me.

Not worth it. Honestly, just start teaching yourself Python. It's much more useful in the long run to just learn a programming language and not just rely on game creation tools.

I know, it's just that I'm too busy to learn one, ATM.
But once I have more time on my hands, I shall learn!

The main problem is that none of the tutorials explain clearly in their examples what it does per line.
I can't see thru the jungle of codes without color markings.

If they colormark the custom labels to seperate from the core elements that could clear things up...
and why particular symbols are used in a command(semicolon, underscore etc.) and others not.

How to structurize project?
- images / sound folder?
- initialization script?
- main script?
- how to avoid missing commands? Download the right version or putting something new in the library (a folder?) ?

The other thing Im runnin against to is why the commands are so complicated,
why not for example:

obj(1).image = img(images/car.png)
obj(1).rect = rect(0,0,0,0)
obj(1).locz = 1
obj(1).loc = loc(x, y)

etc...

I can't find a tutorial how to make those simplified commands.
(lol programming commands with commands that makes life easier as a programmer)

Vorporeal said:
Not worth it. Honestly, just start teaching yourself Python. It's much more useful in the long run to just learn a programming language and not just rely on game creation tools.

I think it's still in development

kin said:
The main problem is that none of the tutorials explain clearly in their examples what it does per line.
I can't see thru the jungle of codes without color markings.

If they colormark the custom labels to seperate from the core elements that could clear things up...
and why particular symbols are used in a command(semicolon, underscore etc.) and others not.

How to structurize project?
- images / sound folder?
- initialization script?
- main script?
- how to avoid missing commands? Download the right version or putting something new in the library (a folder?) ?

The other thing Im runnin against to is why the commands are so complicated,
why not for example:

obj(1).image = img(images/car.png)
obj(1).rect = rect(0,0,0,0)
obj(1).locz = 1
obj(1).loc = loc(x, y)

etc...

I can't find a tutorial how to make those simplified commands.
(lol programming commands with commands that makes life easier as a programmer)

Try this tutorial: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python_2.0 . I've found it to be pretty good, overall.

tupaer said:
Vorporeal said:

I think it's still in development

Huh?

Back