About the hardrive

deadman855555

Still Fresh
i know i read it has 512mb of NAND. but if im not mistaken doesnt that memory erase after the console is shut off? maybe im wrong but i just heard about this console couple weeks ago and trying to find out all i can about it before considering to buy it in the future.

Do your USB drives erase when you unplug them (ie, when they lose power)? No, so the Pandora, using the same type of storage (NAND type flash), will also retain data without power.

alright. now that i got that question answered. will it also read most usb flash drives? if so does it only got one usb port?

technically, it has two usb ports. One is actually a mini-usb port, which can be used as usb 1.1 port with the appropriate adaptor. The other one is a normal usb 2.0 port

Kyosys said:
technically, it has two usb ports. One is actually a mini-usb port, which can be used as usb 1.1 port with the appropriate adaptor. The other one is a normal usb 2.0 port
I've seen a lot of people, myself included, be confused by that. It's just the "normal" shaped port which won't work with the usb2.0 devices. As far as I can tell, you'll have to plug the 1.x devices in the to go port and the 2.0 devices in the 2.0 port.

Not sure if I misread the FAQ entry or if it's been fixed in the mean time.

Some controllers are capable of translating the USB 1.x transactions into high-speed (USB 2.0) ones, but the Pandora is not. Or something like that. Just put a backwards-compatible (but also USB-2.0!) hub between the full-size port and your old devices and everything will work. Of course, if you need just one device it'd be a lot more practical to use the tiniest mini-to-full-size adapter you can find.

Chaosstorm said:
usb 2 is backwards compatible. (i think)
That requires a chip that they didn't put in. USB 2 uses a different chip than USB 1.1 did, to make the same port work with both the vast majority of controllers will have both chips. In this case, they opted not to, the normal A connector only has the USB2 chip. The mini-B has a to go chip set which allows for it to act as either a guest or a host at 1.1 speeds.

I think that's mostly right, I may have gotten that slightly backwards.

hedwards said:
It's just the "normal" shaped port which won't work with the usb2.0 devices.

I't s the reverse: the "normal" port doesn't work directly with usb1.1 devices (but will work with an hub), while the otg port would accept usb1.1 devices, but requires an adapter.

Anyway, most USB sticks are 2.0 nowdays; most of the problems would be with perifericals like mice, keyboards or joypads.

Back