Question About The Openpandora Os

midnitdragoon

Still Fresh
i heard its linux based and im looking at the specs. Very impressive hardware i must say. They resemble computer ones. My question is since this handheld is linux based(hope im right about this) can i install pc games on it like any other os or is running a game like diablo 2 require a source code or something?

Edit-woops i posted in the wrong section suppose to go in FAQ section. If someone can do that feel free =D. Sorry about that.

Birdeater said:
i heard its linux based and im looking at the specs. Very impressive hardware i must say. They resemble computer ones. My question is since this handheld is linux based(hope im right about this) can i install pc games on it like any other os or is running a game like diablo 2 require a source code or something?

Edit-woops i posted in the wrong section suppose to go in FAQ section. If someone can do that feel free =D. Sorry about that.
You should go to the WIKI, this a pretty straight forward thing. But basically no source code, no play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your question is more along the lines of what kind of computer is it.

It is not an x86 compatible (AMD Athlon, Intel Core2/Pentium), it is an ARM processor. That means that you would need either source code, or a game designed to run on a generic Linux on a standard ARM processor.

Think of this as a super PDA, or a monster "smart-phone" if you like. It will run that kind of application, but with a lot more power.

very interesting! so lets say valve for some reason released the half-life 2 source code, can that be used to make a port?

Birdeater said:
very interesting! so lets say valve for some reason released the half-life 2 source code, can that be used to make a port?
If for some reason there was a search button, would people use it? ;)
Your answer is here.

waffles said:
maybe, but hl2 has high system requirements and i doubt valve would release it.
cool im really considering buying this one day. if i can get some pc stuff like phantasy star online or diablo 2 id be happy =D. as far as over clocking this unit goes...how far can it be over clocked until we get a paperweight?

Birdeater said:
waffles said:
maybe, but hl2 has high system requirements and i doubt valve would release it.
cool im really considering buying this one day. if i can get some pc stuff like phantasy star online or diablo 2 id be happy =D. as far as over clocking this unit goes...how far can it be over clocked until we get a paperweight?

AFAIK most units can clock 900MHz.
I don't think you'll get Phantasy Star Online, or Diablo II running. You might be able to get the latter running very slowly in something like SheepShaver or Boch's (if either of those emulators are ported.)
Although you could get your Diablo fix by playing the original on PSX :) .

Do not expect PC games to run. The microprocessor architecture is different from x86 based CPUs, and we are using a different OS. Search function, people.

AireTamStorm said:
Do not expect PC games to run. The microprocessor architecture is different from x86 based CPUs, and we are using a different OS. Search function, people.
Not true actually, although i DO recommend ppl to search, it was also posted somewhere that anything up to 386 is probably going to run just fine on dosbox. No windows (3.11 perhaps??) but still pc games ;)

MarkoeZ said:
AireTamStorm said:

Not true actually, although i DO recommend ppl to search, it was also posted somewhere that anything up to 386 is probably going to run just fine on dosbox. No windows (3.11 perhaps??) but still pc games ;) I'm sure he's well aware of that. ;) The PC games being referred to in this thread are not 15+ year old DOS games. And I'm sure DOSBox is of little interest to someone who thinks they might be able to Run Diablo2 on Pandora.

Gruso said:
MarkoeZ said:
AireTamStorm said:

Not true actually, although i DO recommend ppl to search, it was also posted somewhere that anything up to 386 is probably going to run just fine on dosbox. No windows (3.11 perhaps??) but still pc games ;) I'm sure he's well aware of that. ;) The PC games being referred to in this thread are not 15+ year old DOS games. And I'm sure DOSBox is of little interest to someone who thinks they might be able to Run Diablo2 on Pandora.
I wouldnt mind playing duke nukem 3d on dosbox actually =D.

Birdeater said:
Gruso said:
MarkoeZ said:
AireTamStorm said:

I wouldnt mind playing duke nukem 3d on dosbox actually =D.

The source for Duke3D was released and a linux port made. Odds are getting it onto Pandora shouldn't be much trouble either.

WizardStan said:
The source for Duke3D was released and a linux port made. Odds are getting it onto Pandora shouldn't be much trouble either.
Unless I'm going bonkers I'm fairly sure somebody already did get it on to the GP2X, so getting on to Pandora should definitely be doable?.

Thecko said:
WizardStan said:
Unless I'm going bonkers I'm fairly sure somebody already did get it on to the GP2X, so getting on to Pandora should definitely be doable?.

Ive got the duke2x sitting on my gp2x right now. And it runs full speed :p

Back