OpenPandora Emulator

More to point .. what do you need an emu for? Perhaps your needs are better served another way?

ie: There are some legit cases for an emu of course, especially when going to low level stuff.

But most people can just develop natively or on a similar platform (any old Linux distro, since Pandora is so close to a full computer), and then port the bits at the end.. ie: design in mind for, but build on another platform. ie: SDL or the like will be fine. Or GTK, or QT, etc. Or just write native /dev/fb apps, or X11, or whatever turns your crank. Use a mouse to approximate touchscreen and you can support same joysticks the same way pandora does (more or less), and so on.

jeff

Mostly for evaluating if I want to buy one. One criteria is the usability for my GF, seeing I don't want to be 24/7 tech support to her so want to make sure its good enough.

If you just want to evaluate what the os will be like just download about any xfce distro of linux, and imagine the computer your using can fit in your pocket and has better gaming controls ;)

^ I second that. My main computer runs Xubuntu, and there is no real difference in how the OS works between the two. In fact, it's because of the Pandora that I switched to using Xfce in the first place!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just want to evaluate what the os will be like just download about any xfce distro of linux, and imagine the computer your using can fit in your pocket and has better gaming controls ;)
yeah but, can you run the pnd apps from that distro?

yo dawg I heard you like pandoras....

so we put a pandora in your pandora so you can emulate while you emulate...

....k that's all I got

well technically couldnt you use a moidfied version of pnd_run.sh?

you coulnt run pandora executables but you could bundle your executables into a pnd :p

you coulnt run pandora executables but you could bundle your executables into a pnd :p

I have pnd_run.sh working in a x86 VM (debian) for testing purpose only. The only issue is to get the binarys compatible with your PC.

To reply to the original poster, most apps on the pandora are ports from their desktop counter part.

Testing them on your desktop will give you a sight of what you'll have on your pandy (make sure to use a resolution close to 800x480)

I see. The best option I guess would be to run the pandora os in virtual machine with arm support like guys on the Maemo dot org community do.

a virtual box image of the pandoras os assuming virtual box can emulate arm prossers would be very helpful for developers as stuff tends to breake when you cross compile between different CPU types like x86 and arm

Yes, but VBox doesn't support arm, as it is not an emulator, but a virtual machine. Qemu is your best bet.

a virtual box image of the pandoras os assuming virtual box can emulate arm prossers would be very helpful for developers as stuff tends to breake when you cross compile between different CPU types like x86 and arm
no arm support, well that sucks.

Back