Redneck rampage possible on openpandora?

fikkie

Still Fresh
I've recently found the out that the eduke32 was ported to support the redneck rampage series, called erampage.

Since the eduke32 was ported to the openpandora by mcobit I figured that I would take a shot at compilling erampage on the openpandora.

This seems to be not so trivial as I had hoped, so my first question would be, if I manage to compile erampage could I expect the game to run as smoothly as eduke?

If this is the case, I would like to ask for help with the compiling part.

So far I have tried:

-Installed the necessary tools to compile on the pandora first from this post then I installed a package from the pndmanager called C/C++/Py developtment tools

-copied the git from here

-tried "make" in the erampage source folder, which of course failed with a lot of errors

-looked up the eduke wiki on compiling under Linux and tried the various options like make with use_opengl, noasm, ...

-googled compiling eduke on the raspberry pi for tips/pointers

-figured that I kept on failing because of the opengl libraries so tried the solution from lunixbochs

So I'm currently not really sure how to continue so tips/pointers are welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
The erampage engine has a lot of bugs and doesn't seem to be supported anymore. Or did you find a recent version?

Normally it is enough to disable open_gl polymer and asm to get a first compile. Also try to disable the gtk options if you use code::blocks pnd.

Hi,

I remember this game used to make my poor old 486 DX2 66MHz sweat !

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hope that it will be ported...i think it will be a very nice addition for pandora

The erampage engine has a lot of bugs and doesn't seem to be supported anymore. Or did you find a recent version?

Normally it is enough to disable open_gl polymer and asm to get a first compile. Also try to disable the gtk options if you use code::blocks pnd.
Thx for the tips, I'm already getting further in compiling it.

I'll google around for the errors that I'm currently getting.

As for the erampage engine, I've also noticed that it was "old" but general consensus seemed to indicate it was playable.

So I'm stuck again at the make stage, I'm having problems zith the libsdl libraries:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSDL_mixer
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status!

I can find these missing libraries in:

/mnt/utmp/cdevtools1000/usr/lib

but don't know how to add so that make will find them, I thought I could use export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/cdevtools1000/usr/lib" to be able to find them but that didn't work.

I've also tried it on another arm board I have laying around (odroid), here I got the same error but this was easily fixed by installing the SDL library files which then produced an executable...

So I'm stuck again at the make stage, I'm having problems zith the libsdl libraries:

but don't know how to add so that make will find them, I thought I could use export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/cdevtools1000/usr/lib" to be able to find them but that didn't work.

I've also tried it on another arm board I have laying around (odroid), here I got the same error but this was easily fixed by installing the SDL library files which then produced an executable...
Why don't you try using this toolchain http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=codeblocks6022 by PtitSeb ?

Is more advanced and integrate many many libs.

Blast from the past. I remember this as the first game I played in which a gun had insane (and really any at all) recoil. Also, femalien breast guns.

Why don't you try using this toolchain http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=codeblocks6022 by PtitSeb ?

So I tried this toolchain (didn't know there was a different one), here it can actually find the necessary libraries but now I'm getting linking errors between the output file (erampage) and the source code.

Something about "uses vfp register arguments", I'll try to compile it again tonight and dump the errors I'm getting here.

I'll also try to google them and see if I can fix this.

I'm also going to try the toolchain I was already using and follow the instructions in this post regarding the SDL libraries.

As an update, it compiled under the codeblocks toolchain, and I could load up the redneck.grp file and play the game!
If Tornado Alley works I am all set. Probably my most favourite level in all Maps. (The Bowling Alley and the monkeys haha)

Hi there,

I happen to be the author of erampage port, and yes, it is far from ready and not far from abandoned (from my side at least). I don't even remember the whole story anymore, but I'll try to explain what I still do.

The idea was to keep gamedata intact and modify only the eduke code, so the port could be distributed without issues. Later, a couple of CON files was modified as well (replacing destroyit with killit and the like, rewriting TORNADO code, etc.), but Xatrix grants the permission to distribute modified CON files anyway. As the project moved on, many CON modifications were rolled back, because I managed to support some CON commands introduced in RR.

Later in the project I got into more incompatibilities I could not fix in source code (I don't say it's impossible, just too hard for my skills). Examples are jaildoor sectors which are different from duke3d doors, differences with texture alignements etc. This is how modified maps were created (Jon Hunt did the modifications, I never did any mapping myself). To avoid distribution issues, erampage got the feature to patch maps on the fly (hence the *.dif files).

At some point in life, I just stopped being a student who has lots of free time to spare and got into "married with children" mode where was no place for game-modding weekends. Apparently, Joh and a few companions continued without me to make this release, but as I can see they didn't modify the erampage executable file since then, making only map patches and probably updating the CON files.

Maybe God gives me strength to pick up from where I left =)

Code:
but don't know how to add so that make will find them, I thought I could use export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/cdevtools1000/usr/lib" to be able to find them but that didn't work.I've also tried it on another arm board I have laying around (odroid), here I got the same error but this was easily fixed by installing the SDL library files which then produced an executable...

So I tried this toolchain (didn't know there was a different one), here it can actually find the necessary libraries but now I'm getting linking errors between the output file (erampage) and the source code.

[...]
The easier solution I used was to change (or better delete and re-add) the symlink /mnt/utmp/cdevtools/usr/lib/libSDL_Mixer.so, which directs to /usr/lib/libSDL_Mixer libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0.8.0, but libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0.12.0 is installed now.
Afterwars everything worked fine. I had with codeblocks sometimes more or different problems than with cdevtools. So e.g. for my Sylpheed port I used both.

Greetings

Ziz

Back