Ps1 Emulator Questions

borgqueenx said:
So there is no auto switch iso feature...but what if the emulator asks for a other cd then? Will i need to load cd 2 into the emulator so cd 1 quits? Or will it load cd 2 like i inserted it like on the real thing?

The same way every other emulator works. It sees disc 1 as ejected and has now been replaced with CD2. Have you ever used a Playation emulator?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as i can remember, There was talk of the possibility of supporting the EBOOT format for psx games, Whether that still holds true or not, I have no idea. If there was support for EBOOTs, I would hope that .cso`s would be supported too, And hopefully the added bonus of multi-disc EBOOTs too, Which would eliminate the need to manually swap disc`s.

But this is all speculation at the moment, As i have not seen anymore talk about this.

Trooper

Enverex said:
The same way every other emulator works. It sees disc 1 as ejected and has now been replaced with CD2. Have you ever used a Playation emulator?
Slightly OT: I had an issue with epsxe a couple years ago with this. Linux refuses to unmount anything, even CDs, if they're open or have open files (usually). I couldn't get it to eject the CD because the emulator had an open file to it. I eventually gave up and switched to ISOs, which worked just fine, but I never did figure out how to swap actual CDs under Linux.

WizardStan said:
Enverex said:
Slightly OT: I had an issue with epsxe a couple years ago with this. Linux refuses to unmount anything, even CDs, if they're open or have open files (usually). I couldn't get it to eject the CD because the emulator had an open file to it. I eventually gave up and switched to ISOs, which worked just fine, but I never did figure out how to swap actual CDs under Linux.

It's all masked my side as I'm on x86_64 so I had to use ePSXe through Wine instead to get it to work.

trooper said:
As far as i can remember, There was talk of the possibility of supporting the EBOOT format for psx games, Whether that still holds true or not, I have no idea. If there was support for EBOOTs, I would hope that .cso`s would be supported too, And hopefully the added bonus of multi-disc EBOOTs too, Which would eliminate the need to manually swap disc`s.

But this is all speculation at the moment, As i have not seen anymore talk about this.

Trooper
that would be awesome...would save 5 gigs on my sd card.

WizardStan said:
I don't know if it'll work for you, but I found using umount -l worked for a similar situation.
If I'm reading the man page right, -l gets rid of the mount point, so nothing can reference the files to open new ones, but keeps the actual data while it's still being used.
I assume this only works if the program actually closes the files.

That's:
Code:
umount -l
Since normal font is ambiguous.

Another quick question (I added it to this thread as it was the most recent). Is there any chance that the PS1 emulator will emulate the PS1 mouse via the Pandora's touch screen? The recent English translation of Policenauts has me wondering! :)

Excited. said:
borgqueenx said:
So there is no auto switch iso feature...but what if the emulator asks for a other cd then? Will i need to load cd 2 into the emulator so cd 1 quits? Or will it load cd 2 like i inserted it like on the real thing?
You could use your goddamn head.
Think about it. When you have to switch CDs for a game, its pretty much the same exact thing as mounting an iso after using a different one. I have never used psx4all (or psx4pandora in this case) but due to its success (and the fact that whenever someone shows it off, they use FF7, a 3/4 CD game, which I haven't heard problems about yet.)

tldr;of course, if you have any questions regarding the emulator, you could google psx4all and read all about it, its almost a direct port of it.

Wow, you're a jerk.

Back in the day PS1 emulators lacked the option to load a new CD without restarting the game. This wasn't a big deal for a lot of games because they let you save when they required disk changes. FF7 was one of these games. But for games that didn't provide this it was a problem.

sorry to necro this old thread, but I was just playing around with ePSXe's graphics options and there's a little button that changes the settings automatically to adjust the graphics for higher quality.. with Chrono Cross this made the graphics loads better, will options like these be possible with psx4pandora since it runs so well or am I asking for too much here?

sdfsdfhe.jpg

I believe that the PS emulator for Pandora will be ableto render at the Pandoras native resolution which should make games look a lot nice.

Can't remember where I read that though...

now that this thread is up high again....my iphone 3gs got desame hardware as the pandora. but i cant decently play psx games on that.
Games dont run at full speed, but more like 5~15 frames a second.

is this different on the pandora?

Well, I believe we have more direct access to the Pandora's hardware, and without having to load up the iPhone's bloated OS while emulating the PSX

ok, and to get back on this...:
Exophase said:
ZIP and RAR don't let you seek per-sector, so you can't use them very well for PS1 emulation. It'll support CD-ROM specific compression.

I'm sure it'll support CD-ROM switching, and I'm sure it won't be "automatic." IE, you go to a menu and pick a new file. It'll support save state.
My psx iso's i wanna have on pandora is 15gb big now....i dont think il add more games to this collection but still its big. whats cd-rom specific compression?
Is there a application(windows) to compress the file and load it up in the emulator?

I'm sure there was talk that CSO format was being considered - this can considerably compress the ISO depending on what is on the disc. Stuff like FMV tends to not enjoy being compressed. Utilities for this exist on x86 platforms.

an eboot style executable was also mentioned a while back.

I think converting a .bin in a .cso is gonna be hard.
I also seen some topics about the emulator but im curious what compression the emulator will have during release date?
A compression thats certain?

Dunno if you can directly convert .bin to .cso but you can definatly convert from .bin to .iso to .cso i used to do it on my PSP

x68000 said:
I'm sure there was talk that CSO format was being considered - this can considerably compress the ISO depending on what is on the disc. Stuff like FMV tends to not enjoy being compressed. Utilities for this exist on x86 platforms.

an eboot style executable was also mentioned a while back.
There are also tools to remove FMV and music from the disc images to reduce the size.
Obviously this isn't always what you want, but if the movies are just cutscenes you're going to skip anyway, you might as well save some space.

borgqueenx said:
now that this thread is up high again....my iphone 3gs got desame hardware as the pandora. but i cant decently play psx games on that.
Games dont run at full speed, but more like 5~15 frames a second.

is this different on the pandora?

Well they both have the same CPU (Cortex A8) and GPU (PowerVR SGX) (well the iPhone 3G anyway). So who knows. Maybe our coders are better than theirs. But they'll probably be using the same source though. It may come down to who's bothering to optimize more.

Any opinions?

[EDIT] Either way, I think ZodTTD is the developer in both cases. It may boil down to which generation of iPhone you actually saw. The Original iPhone & 3G has 128MB RAM. The 3GS has 256. The Pandora has 256MB also.

I've always wondered how that would work. If the games expecting to see a video file wouldn't it just crash out if it doesn't exist? Or are the files all replaced with, like 1 second blank video or something?

Back