Ps1 Emulator Questions

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
I would like some more info about features of the PS1 emulator...i couldnt find them on google and the search function, only some videos and people saying its full speed.

I want to know if it contains auto switching a rom, for virtual switching cd's, and if it will support save state(great for red alert).

EDIT: ok a third question i forgot: will it support loading zip or rar files? or some other type of compression?

I believe it was pointed out before that compressed images don't work for emulators like Playstations because it would need to extract the entire drive image to RAM each time you change disc (you don't have enough RAM and it would take ages) because the emulator can't seek the disc from inside the archive itself.

The first question is going to depend on which of the PSX emulators you're referring to and if the developers intend to add it (Zod is one, not sure who the other is).

Enverex said:
I believe it was pointed out before that compressed images don't work for emulators like Playstations because it would need to extract the entire drive image to RAM each time you change disc (you don't have enough RAM and it would take ages) because the emulator can't seek the disc from inside the archive itself.

The first question is going to depend on which of the PSX emulators you're referring to and if the developers intend to add it (Zod is one, not sure who the other is).
the psp supports psx compression.

I hope auto rom/cd switch will be available, could be great for metal gear solid and red alert, and final fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZIP and RAR don't let you seek per-sector, so you can't use them very well for PS1 emulation. It'll support CD-ROM specific compression.

I'm sure it'll support CD-ROM switching, and I'm sure it won't be "automatic." IE, you go to a menu and pick a new file. It'll support save state.

Exophase said:
ZIP and RAR don't let you seek per-sector, so you can't use them very well for PS1 emulation. It'll support CD-ROM specific compression.

I'm sure it'll support CD-ROM switching, and I'm sure it won't be "automatic." IE, you go to a menu and pick a new file. It'll support save state.
alright great :) red alert and c&c where unplayable because they worked with passwords or an auto-saved game after a mission was complete.

thanks for the response :)

hmm, Running Metal Gear if Possible it would be great with or without Auto Swiching, i havent seen nor a single emulator that can run MGS
(well last time i checked was bout when the only one available was VGS and Bleem)

DroneB Dev said:
hmm, Running Metal Gear if Possible it would be great with or without Auto Swiching, i havent seen nor a single emulator that can run MGS
(well last time i checked was bout when the only one available was VGS and Bleem)
Still it would be a nice feature.

If its not included....we need to shut down the game and load the other cd? or will it load like on the real playstation console?

I hate to hijack a thread, but would I be able to hook up an optical drive to the Pandora to run a PSX game or would I just have to rip the disk?

Jourdy288 said:
I hate to hijack a thread, but would I be able to hook up an optical drive to the Pandora to run a PSX game or would I just have to rip the disk?

Well, in theory I suppose you could. But you might as well hook your Pandora up to a wall, 'cause that would be a SERIOUS battery sucker due to moving parts. This, of course, would defeat the purpose of portability. It's the same as hooking up a HD...

However, with an optical drive, don't you need specific drivers or something to make it run or is it just plug n play?

I think you would need drivers, and you're right, it would suck battery power. However, I have a disc drive somewhere around here that takes a separate power supply, just need to find it...

It would probably ultimately be faster if you ripped it and played that, although yeah you should be able to play from CD.

MrBlais said:
Jourdy288 said:

Well, in theory I suppose you could. But you might as well hook your Pandora up to a wall, 'cause that would be a SERIOUS battery sucker due to moving parts. This, of course, would defeat the purpose of portability. It's the same as hooking up a HD...

However, with an optical drive, don't you need specific drivers or something to make it run or is it just plug n play?

It wouldn't use any additional power from the Pandora as the normal 3.5" optical drives have their own PSU which means those are going to need to be plugged into the wall anyway.

On a side note, I just tried ePSXe through Wine on Linux and it seems to play MGS just fine.

Enverex said:
MrBlais said:
Jourdy288 said:

It wouldn't use any additional power from the Pandora as the normal 3.5" optical drives have their own PSU which means those are going to need to be plugged into the wall anyway.

On a side note, I just tried ePSXe through Wine on Linux and it seems to play MGS just fine.

Maybe something like this?
http://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/news/0104/sony_battery_cdrw.shtml

It's kinda old, maybe there's an updated version.

Enverex said:
What 3.5" optical drive? There were some old MO drives that took 3.5" MO discs, but I don't see how that helps. CDs are 4 3/4", if that's what you're thinking of ;-P

Some CD/DVD drives come with two USB plugs rather than a power brick, so those don't need plugging into the wall. But given they need two connections, I guess they take somewhere over the 500ma that a single USB port can supply, so that's going to make a serious dent in your battery life.

The Pandora only has the one USB port, you probably can't even power a 2-USB hard drive from it.
You could plug it into a USB-mains adapter, though, and then plug the data cable into the Pandora.

levi said:
Enverex said:
What 3.5" optical drive? There were some old MO drives that took 3.5" MO discs, but I don't see how that helps. CDs are 4 3/4", if that's what you're thinking of ;-P

Some CD/DVD drives come with two USB plugs rather than a power brick, so those don't need plugging into the wall. But given they need two connections, I guess they take somewhere over the 500ma that a single USB port can supply, so that's going to make a serious dent in your battery life.

I was just thinking "external drive box that takes normal CD drives" but couldn't remember the form factor size (thought it was 3.5" but that's HDs isn't it). Anyway, I was thinking these - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97253&C=SO&U=strat15

Just noticed some USB powered drives though -
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227918&C=SO&U=strat15
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228883&C=SO&U=strat15

Assuming they draw 500mA then they should work (standard USB power) but that will almost double the Pandora's own power usage, halving your battery life.

So there is no auto switch iso feature...but what if the emulator asks for a other cd then? Will i need to load cd 2 into the emulator so cd 1 quits? Or will it load cd 2 like i inserted it like on the real thing?

borgqueenx said:
So there is no auto switch iso feature...but what if the emulator asks for a other cd then? Will i need to load cd 2 into the emulator so cd 1 quits? Or will it load cd 2 like i inserted it like on the real thing?
You could use your goddamn head.
Think about it. When you have to switch CDs for a game, its pretty much the same exact thing as mounting an iso after using a different one. I have never used psx4all (or psx4pandora in this case) but due to its success (and the fact that whenever someone shows it off, they use FF7, a 3/4 CD game, which I haven't heard problems about yet.)

tldr;of course, if you have any questions regarding the emulator, you could google psx4all and read all about it, its almost a direct port of it.

Back