Dualboot Os

Gruso said:
It's probably going to work better than my stupid Ubuntu box.
LOL, yeah. I love the "idea" of linux and have "used" it for years, but it's sometimes a huge PITA.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Windows CE could be made to work no doubt, but you will get no official support from us or from MS.

I'd recommend you just use the default OS. You will have all your 'regular' apps like Firefox, Office, FTP, Messenger services etc. and you should not really notice anything different from whatever you use now, emulators and games will just be icons you can double click. It will all 'just work'.

Well, as long as you don't dig too deep ;)
Does Windows CE run any form of Direct X? I know back in the Dreamcast age the SDKs used resources and libraries of DirectX but this was 10 years ago :( atleast I think they did I mean why else do the Dreamcasts say Windows CE on the side?

I was just wondering if I could use the main OS for almost everything, but then if I wanted to, boot up android so I could play zenonia

I did this with my 5th gen iPod video (I had rockbox, ipodlinux, and the original OS all loaded on it) and it was great

thanks for the answers :)

TylerAW said:
Does Windows CE run any form of Direct X? I know back in the Dreamcast age the SDKs used resources and libraries of DirectX but this was 10 years ago :( atleast I think they did I mean why else do the Dreamcasts say Windows CE on the side?
Some subset of DirectX does exist for WinCE. A small selection of Dreamcast games were run in a WinCE environment, that's why the Dreamcast says Windows CE on it.
It will not do you any good, at any rate. Getting proper graphics drivers to take advantage of any sort of DirectX that may exist would be next to impossible, and even if you could, what games do you expect to run? I can't imagine any game being so good to warrant the amount of time that would be required.

Actually, I was wondering if something like Wine for Linux would be possible for android apps. This would allow for 'droid stuff to run in the Pandora OS, just like wine runs various windows programs.

WizardStan said:
TylerAW said:
I dunno non-dos Windows games without source code :p
I'm hoping you're joking.
Look I don't get why no one tries to reverse engineer DirectX and write there own drivers? I mean isint it at least possible to reverse engineer early version of windows for games before 2004?

TylerAW said:
WizardStan said:
TylerAW said:
Look I don't get why no one tries to reverse engineer DirectX and write there own drivers? I mean isint it at least possible to reverse engineer early version of windows for games before 2004?
Most of us are happy with openGL, but hey no one is stopping you. :)

Meany105 said:
I was just wondering if I could use the main OS for almost everything, but then if I wanted to, boot up android so I could play zenonia

I did this with my 5th gen iPod video (I had rockbox, ipodlinux, and the original OS all loaded on it) and it was great

Take a look around on google. Android runs on the Pandora, already.
Smile.. Be happy..

:D :pandora2ut4: :D

crade said:
TylerAW said:
WizardStan said:
TylerAW said:
Most of us are happy with openGL, but hey no one is stopping you. :)
But apparently something is stopping others from getting DX games to run on non DX hardware :p

Look at it the other way round. MS has a country full of engineers and billions of money to spend, yet they can't pull it off to make their DX stuff work with the 3D system the rest of the world uses :rolleyes:

TylerAW said:
They did. It's called WINE. (Or ReactOS if you want a full operating system).
We can't use it because it needs an x86 processor.

Porting DirectX for an ARM device would be pointless because no x86 games can run on it anyway.

TylerAW said:
WinCE is not like any version of Windows for desktops (95/98/2K/ME/XP/Vista). Even if the Pandora can run WinCE, even if it does somehow get DirectX, it CANNOT RUN NON DOS WINDOWS GAMES, at least not desktop games. It can run WinCE games, maybe. Desktop Windows and its games run ONLY on x86 processors. The Pandora has an ARM processor, for a lot of very good reasons (so don't suggest it should have been an x86 processor, it shouldn't have been) so can't run x86 programs.
DirectX has been reverse engineered and mostly reimplemented. It still won't help you run an x86 program on an ARM processor. What you're suggesting is similar to putting an XBox game in the Wii and wondering why it doesn't work. Different hardware, different programs.

kingoddball said:
Meany105 said:

Take a look around on google. Android runs on the Pandora, already.
Smile.. Be happy..

:D :pandora2ut4: :D

What would be even better than dual-booting would be to have a wine-like system that lets the Pandora mimic other devices and use their application stores. I.e. to look just like an iPhone when connecting to Apple's store or look just like an Android phone when contacting Google's store - all under the standard OS. Then it needs to allow those to be executed. Not quite an emulator - the instruction set (ARM) is the same. More like a device type imitator. Think of it as modern device emulation - much like it emulates old game platforms. In this case it's letting you play the games/media that you purchase from contemporary sources. While you're at it, make one for Kindle books and other readers too. OK, so it isn't that simple - BUT it would make the Pandora more universal.

What would be even better than dual-booting would be to have a wine-like system that lets the Pandora mimic other devices and use their application stores. I.e. to look just like an iPhone when connecting to Apple's store or look just like an Android phone when contacting Google's store - all under the standard OS. Then it needs to allow those to be executed. Not quite an emulator - the instruction set (ARM) is the same. More like a device type imitator. Think of it as modern device emulation - much like it emulates old game platforms. In this case it's letting you play the games/media that you purchase from contemporary sources. While you're at it, make one for Kindle books and other readers too. OK, so it isn't that simple - BUT it would make the Pandora more universal.
[/quote]

there is only one word to describe that

UBERAWESOMENESS

Ok wait the Pandora can run DroidOS? Does that mean if you really wanted to you could download Apps meant for Droid and run them on the Pandora? I mean I know Pandora, IPhone and Droid use very similar hardware.

I'm not sure if "DroidOS" is another term for Android, but... It is my understanding that you wouldn't have access to the Android Market, because your device has to meet certain conditions to be blessed by Google for that, but yes, you could run Android from an SD Card and run (some?) Android applications that way.

Prometheus said:
I'm not sure if "DroidOS" is another term for Android, but... It is my understanding that you wouldn't have access to the Android Market, because your device has to meet certain conditions to be blessed by Google for that, but yes, you could run Android from an SD Card and run (some?) Android applications that way.
Oh well the blessings of google would probabaly come in a hack, as for Apple I would never ever expect a blessing from them lmao.

TylerAW said:
Prometheus said:
Oh well the blessings of google would probabaly come in a hack, as for Apple I would never ever expect a blessing from them lmao.

the only thing that apple gives is the middle-finger

Back