Terminological inquiry/survey: How shall we refer to the OS and its versions?

I suppose the Pandora does follow its own release schedule and is merely based on Angstrom.

*ponders* well... if we must have a different distribution name... and being that the basis is Ångström... how about we call our version Anders? :lol:
:D

Pångström? :D

For release I suggest dropping the "HF" and just using "Zaxxon 5", "Zaxxon 6a4", "Yars", "Yars 2" and so on.

My conclusion from reading your comments as of now:

1) "Pandora OS" qualifies as the OS name, as it's different enough (WizardStan), and other suggestions were meant quite humorously (Anders, Pangstrøm, Angora).

2) a) For occasions were compactness is appreciated and it is clear that the discussion concerns OpenPandora's OS and/or software (i.e.: its own issue tracker) we can use the mere numerical notation R.H.S (Release, Hoftfix, Sub-number).

B) In more general contexts such as the web, the long form "Pandora OS Releasename Hotfix H S" (H being the hotfix number, S being the sub number) can be used.

Nevertheless using the general term "Pandora" accompanied with a video game name as a release name (such as Zaxxon), which by nature then changes with every release, possibly brings rather ambiguous web search results (SEO and ranking), whereas PandoraOS or "Pandora OS" accompanied with a number probably gets quite reliable results. On the other hand the term "Hotfix" together with these identifies context quite well I guess.

However, I won't stress my mind with external naming conventions (2b) anymore, as long as the internal short naming convention (2a) is now clear. I will use it in the issue tracker from now on. Btw, I put so much detailed efforts into issue reporting (about 25 over the last 2 months!), and got almost no reactions! More involvement would be appreciated from my side!

A lot of thoughts while reading this thread. First a bad suggestion cause my OSD brain won't let me drop it...

PandOS - At least it shortens things up.

Other than that... maybe I've misunderstod things, but... my first update was Zaxxon 5... now, when people use the term "Zaxxon 6" I'm thinking why not just skip the number and call the next release Yar's Revenge... otherwise, in the current tempo I believe the Pandora itself with it's half life of 50 000 years, will start fossilising before we'll ever go beyond X.

And when on an Ubuntu forum I would never use the whole name to identify what I currently am running. "Ubuntu 10.10 Natty Narwhal", I just say "10.10".

Got to go, my work here is done.

Guys, you all don't get me.

Changing release names as OS names? Better one steady OS name.

And my 2nd inquiry was for a short form, honestly writing "Pandora OS Zaxxon Hotfix 6 alpha 4" each time is cumbersome, if "Pandora OS 1.6.4" would do it.

Alas, that is what its called; consider Ubuntu and its release cycle .. Ubuntu <double later word> <version>; Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04, that sort of thing. You're looking for an 'Ubuntu' or 'Debian' word that never changes, where we have "Pandora" or "Open Pandora".

So we have..

Open Pandora device, feature an Angstrom distribution with Linux kernel; the firmware version is Zaxxon release Hotfix 5. Or in short, "Pandora Zaxxon HF5a4."

If you want to come up with some cute name for the firmware, outside of version, uh, you can I suppose; if its cool and people like it, maybe it'll take.. whats wrong with Pandora though? :)

And yes, we decided back at the beginning to use reverse classic game or retro names, Z, Y, X etc; I was pushing for Yamato but we went with Yars instead for the next :) I've been hedging for O to be Omega Race, but thats quite a ways off :)

jeff

Sorry for the gravedig, but it was that or hijack an unrelated thread which I didn't want to do.

@Porg: I appreciate where you are coming from, but I do wish you would use the established naming convention instead of using your own system. Every time I see you make a reference to Zaxxon as Pandora OS 1.x, I get confused, because everyone else calls it according to the convention. i.e. Zaxxon, HFx. *I* get confused, and *I* know what you are talking about, once I remember this thread... imagine how it must seem to a new user trying to get a grasp on things.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry, but I think I will have to stick with the R.H.X numbering scheme instead of ReleaseName HotFix H X. Why?

For example, the comments at http://repo.openpandora.org are limited to 300 characters.

If I waste already so many characters on identifying the OS version, not many chars remain for the comment itself!

Yes, I think referring to a certain software version is an important communication factor in an IT community!

Therefore I asked for your guys' opinion!

@Neelix: Glad that you now give me some feedback. Where did you stumble across my numbering conventions, and what have you been looking for?

I am sorry, but I think I will have to stick with the R.H.X numbering scheme instead of ReleaseName HotFix H X. Why?

For example, the comments at http://repo.openpandora.org are limited to 300 characters.

If I waste already so many characters on identifying the OS version, not many chars remain for the comment itself!
There are several ways to abbreviate, as have been noted above. Also that reasoning is only relevant within the context of such limited fields. And if you really must reduce the release name to one character, it should at least be representative, i.e. Z instead of 1.

Yes, I think referring to a certain software version is an important communication factor in an IT community!

Therefore I asked for your guys' opinion!

And then you apparently ignored it when it was given.

@Neelix: Glad that you now give me some feedback. Where did you stumble across my numbering conventions, and what have you been looking for?

I stumbled across it in the support section in a thread reporting problems opening PNDs. My first reaction was 'what?' then I sat looking at it for about 10 seconds trying to work it out, then this thread came to mind and it started to become clear.

With regards to searching, I've never had to search for posts based on the OS release, but if I did my first attempt would be on HFx, or in the case of the OS next version Yars and (where appropriate) HFx my next search would be on the word HotFix.

My point is that a naming convention can only by definition be a convention if more than one person uses it, and that by going against the flow you make your posts both harder to understand and harder to search on.

- Neelix

Back